What's wrong with the Eagles?

Apparition

Injuries and poor coaching.

The Eagles bread and butter in 2017 was putting points on the board early so the stacked d-line could tee off on the opposing quarterback. Ever since Frank Reich and John Defilipo left the organization, the Eagles have had an incredibly hard time scoring early in games. I'm putting the blame on Doug Pederson for that. He's been passive with his playcalls early in the game, and his refusal to bring in an offensive mind from outside the organization has hamstrung the creativity of the offense. Mike Groh, who's the current OC, is a good WR coach but an awful coordinator. The Eagles are chock full of possession-type receivers (Ertz, Jeffrey, Arcega-Whiteside, Hollins) who can't get separation or any YAC. The one guy who can, Nelson Agholar, is terrible. Having DeSean Jackson opened up a lot of space for those guys, but I'm chalking that up to a coaching issue based solely on the fact that one player shouldn't dictate how an entire offense runs (hence, the lack of creativity/scheming).

The secondary hasn't been good in years, but at least the Eagles always have had a strong d-line to help with that issue. This year, the d-line has under-performed, especially on the interior. Fletcher Cox still isn't fully healthy, but he has to play a ton since Timmy Jernigan and Malik Jackson are both injured. Even when they have gotten pressures there's not much they can do since the corners are atrocious. I can't even chalk up the struggles of that group to injuries since Ronald Darby and Jalen Mills both stink. Look for Roseman to make a move there. Jim Schwartz's defense runs through the d-line, he's constantly leaving his corners isolated in hopes that the rush will get there before the QB can dissect the defense. Maybe a Chris Harris or Jalen Ramsey could make a difference, who knows.

I just don't know if I want to trade a lot of draft capital for a corner. The Eagles are the third oldest team in the league. They're constantly banged up. We need a fresh infusion of talent. I'm not even sure if Jim Schwartz could properly utilize Ramsey lol he's also playing these vanilla zone coverages

The incredible overall roster depth and versatile offense that defined them in their super bowl year has faded. Key players are getting older, Reich left, and injuries have mounted. They havent done a great job in the draft recently.

In the midst of this Patriots dynasty, we all forget how hard it is to maintain a championship caliber team. It's really damn hard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The incredible overall roster depth and versatile offense that defined them in their super bowl year has faded. Key players are getting older, Reich left, and injuries have mounted. They havent done a great job in the draft recently.

In the midst of this Patriots dynasty, we all forget how hard it is to maintain a championship caliber team. It's really damn hard. 

Great post, completely agree.

I'm an Eagles fan and I even thought they were a little overrated in the pre-season (although I did pick them to go 11-5 I believe). They're probably in the same boat as last year, a 9-7 type team that could crack 10-6 if some of the injured players come back strong.

• Like 1

Regression by certain guys, and injuries

They'll be getting a couple guys back and Howie likely will be making some kind of move.

But they have been a so so team the first half of the year going back to the year the won the super bowl.
It's annoying as hell, but nothing has been shocking

Injuries, certain guys not playing up to expectations, and the secondary as a whole just being overrated coming into the season. They are a very poor unit.

Wentz has looked like his 2017 self so there’s always hope for playoffs with that kind of QB play, but it clearly will not be the 11 or 12 win team favorited for the SB.

• Like 1