Why was Haskins drafted in the first round?

viper952

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

3.  WTH?  Mahomes can't even see any game reps?   And they traded TWO firsts to get him?  Alex Smith is sooooo goooood right now, what a waste.  And man, nothing is stopping this Kareem Hunt guy from becoming a mega-star.  Nothing.

Mahomes started 32 games in college though.  He also had the same head coach from his rookie year to his sophomore year in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Mahomes started 32 games in college though.  He also had the same head coach from his rookie year to his sophomore year in the NFL.

And he had the best QB-developer HC around, too.   I'm just saying after 8 games.....ppl's thoughts on how necessary he was with Alex Smith looking amazing (he was just the bus driver on a great O that became a juggernaut when he left for Mahomes) and Mahomes on the bench...well, we all know how that turned out.

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Calling Haskins a bust and talking about whether he should have been a first round pick or not are two different things.  I think this is a valid thread.  The reality is Haskins started one year in college and probably should not have been a first round pick.  

And how many games has he played in the nfl?  You can judge him how again?

And so weird @Forge liked your post. 

Just now, Bonanza23 said:

And how many games has he played in the nfl?  You can judge him how again?

And so weird @Forge liked your post. 

The amount of games he's played in the NFL is irrelevant.  The discussion isn't whether he's a bust, the discussion is as a prospect heading into the NFL draft, should Haskins have been a first round pick.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The amount of games he's played in the NFL is irrelevant.  The discussion isn't whether he's a bust, the discussion is as a prospect heading into the NFL draft, should Haskins have been a first round pick.  

To at the very minimum one team? Yes. How many other teams?  Don’t have a clue. 

Based on two freaking games is he worth it?  Don’t have a damned clue. It’s tooooooo early. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how Haskins turns out he seems very slow at certain things it's a process in which he's simply not ready yet.

Snyder picking him because his son went to the same HS is eerily similar to John Elway Picking Brock Osweiler second round because he was college roommates with his son.

Acting on behalf of a previous relationship rarely works. Ironically, it may work for New York with the connections of the Mannings, Cutcliff, and Jones. At least that's mostly warranted/professional and not the personal relationships from the other examples. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Haskins has 1 year of college starter experience.   Jones & Lock have 3+.   That's a huge gap.    Jones was recognized as being the most pro-ready - but having the most limited tools.   Lock was seen as having experience, but still a ton of mechanical flaws to work out, and some read progression / dealing with pressure issues (big flags, BTW).   Haskins showed the biggest arm of the 3, and skills in making NFL-level throws, but also had such limited experience vs. equal competition playing for a top 5 OSU team.   He made the most NFL-level throws and placement/accuracy you want to see in NFL QB's.  But he also had the least amount of reps vs. complex/elite D's of the 3, so the jump in speed is mind-boggling for him.     What we are seeing right now is not that surprising - but it goes far from accurately predicting the outcome outside of injury (no one can predict that).

Honestly, ppl have to stop drawing conclusions on the rookie year of play.

If we drew conclusions off 2017's class after 8 weeks we'd have said:

1.  Wow, Watson is hands down the best of this class.

2.  Trubisky isn't as good, but he's got hope.  

3.  WTH?  Mahomes can't even see any game reps?   And they traded TWO firsts to get him?  Alex Smith is sooooo goooood right now, what a waste.  And man, nothing is stopping this Kareem Hunt guy from becoming a mega-star.  Nothing.

Apply the same to 2018:

1.  Baker's clearly the top guy.  There's literally no one even close.

2.  Man, BUF is never winning with Josh Allen.

3.  Sam Darnold is hopeless.

4.  What a wasted pick on Lamar Jackson.   He can't even replace Joe Flacco. 

How would those takes age now?    Hmmmmm.....just saying.

Pretty much this. 

I remembered people were ready to crucify the Giants for drafting Jones before him saying Haskins was the better pick. Honestly with the small sample we seen, I wouldn't pass judgment yet on who got the better QB or is Haskins worthy of a 1st round draft pick. 

• Rare passing production
    • Well-schooled with understanding of how to get himself protected
    • Will bet big to win big
    • Confident to take chances and complete game-changing throws
    • Shows potential to be a full-field reader on NFL level
    • Effortless throwing motion
    • Can uncork a plus fastball with just the flick of his wrist
    • Scans with ball tucked close and feet bouncing from target to target
    • Ball explodes out of his hands when driving it down the field
    • Has deep ball arm to wait out coverage and hit the fastest targets in stride
    • Alters trajectory depending on coverage and space
    • Willing to stand in and take the hit to deliver the ball
    • Able to deliver and complete throws from unconventional angles
    • Excellent sense of developing pressure from the edge
    • Pocket mobile to climb and slide into safe launch spots
    • Sturdy build to shake free of pocket traffic
    • Explosive, clutch production to finish final four games

• Powerful arm
    • Can throw a hard fastball into tight windows
    • Quality build
    • Can push the ball downfield
    • Throws a good deep ball
    • Able to loft in touch passes
    • Has stretches of good accuracy
    • Stands tall in the pocket
    • Moves his eyes
    • Comfortable and patient in the pocket
    • Shows good timing
    • Lots of upside

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MossyMoss said:

Pretty much this. 

I remembered people were ready to crucify the Giants for drafting Jones before him saying Haskins was the better pick. Honestly with the small sample we seen, I wouldn't pass judgment yet on who got the better QB or is Haskins worthy of a 1st round draft pick. 

Just because Haskins sucks doesn't mean Daniel Jones doesn't suck.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Finally a well reasoned post. It’s amazing when someone treats humans like humans. 

Chill out dude.

After all, even though people might be jumping the gun, they also might not.

And, in my opinion, it's something worth discussing. Hell, it beats working or watching some reality garbage on the TV.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Chill out dude.

And, in my opinion, it's something worth discussing. Hell, it beats working or watching some reality garbage on the TV.

Maybe he got his osu feelings hurt? Anyways, based on the little I've seen, he doesn't look good, but neither did Jared Goff his rookie year. Just gotta wonder if they pull an Arizona in April. 

What bothers me about Haskins is he comes off as very cocky. He probably looks at his play and considers these to just be typical rookie struggles on the way to a hall of fame career. He alluded to as much a few weeks ago citing hall of fame quarterbacks that didn’t start as rookies. He looks lost and he’s clearly not putting in the work he needs to off the field. That cocky / lazy combination screams bust. It should have been picked up in the scouting process. It’s not just about the tape and the stats. Amateur scouts don’t have inside access to coaches, teammates, interviews, girlfriends, etc so it’s understandable why so many amateur scouts liked him - the tape looked good. Professional scouts should have been able to dig deeper and see these red flags. Maybe Snyder just saves money by using the ESPN big board.

1 hour ago, Mega Ron said:

Chill out dude.

Hey man I don’t want to hear it. Remember when you PMd me last month asking me which Kardasian was my favorite?

• Like 2