The Good, the Bad, the Ugly vs. Tennessee

RaidersAreOne

Just now, NightTrainLane said:

That may not be a permanent thing though after what happened today. They won't forget about him but Carr definitely has the image of inconsistency in his head there.

Meh.. if Carr holds today against him it would be wrong and would hurt the team imo. The more options we have in the redzone, the better. Last year we didnt even look Coops way down there.

Everyone has bad plays and we gotta give the rookie CB credit, he made a couple nice plays and the third attempt was tipped. Im sure Coop will get better at it the more times hes in that situation

3 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Meh.. if Carr holds today against him it would be wrong and would hurt the team imo. The more options we have in the redzone, the better. Last year we didnt even look Coops way down there.

Everyone has bad plays and we gotta give the rookie CB credit, he made a couple nice plays and the third attempt was tipped. Im sure Coop will get better at it the more times hes in that situation

Didn't he have similar problems last year?  It's likely we'll see some more of the same.  Hopefully not as bad.

6 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

But why force it to him when we have Cook, Crabtree, Lynch, and Roberts who have all shown to be better in the redzone. I hope this is the last time they even go back to back to him down there. Not saying to not give him any targets but spread it around. That was just dumb and cost us 4 points.

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

But why force it to him when we have Cook, Crabtree, Lynch, and Roberts who have all shown to be better in the redzone. I hope this is the last time they even go back to back to him down there. Not saying to not give him any targets but spread it around. That was just dumb and cost us 4 points.

I agree we shouldn't just force it to him just because, but thats not what happened. The Titans brought the extra defender in the box on back to back plays to stop the run, which left Coop one on one with the rookie CB. Ill take those odds everyday. The rookie CB just made a play.

The third attempt was tipped and fell short, so I cant blame him on that.

16 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I agree we shouldn't just force it to him just because, but thats not what happened. The Titans brought the extra defender in the box on back to back plays to stop the run, which left Coop one on one with the rookie CB. Ill take those odds everyday. The rookie CB just made a play.

The third attempt was tipped and fell short, so I cant blame him on that.

i don't care how it happened. I don't wanna see it again (back to back targets in the redzone). We have too many other legit options in the area. Coop has done this enough for it to be a pattern. And like I said I don't want us to abandon him down there, just if the slant misses, let's move on to a Crab fade, a Lynch run or a Cook corner route. All are very high percentage plays IMO.

re: Coop - Each of those RZ plays can be explained away in a vacuum: a rope that got on him fast, a good play by Jackson, a tip at the line. But when you put them all together on back-to back-to back plays, he needs to make one of those plays. He's too good and too important to this team not to. I'm not concerned about him b/c he looked good otherwise and he tends to get better at problem areas - but it was disappointing for today. 

I've wrung my hands about this D as much as anyone - but the guys stepped up when they needed to and didn't have to rely on a Mack bailout, penalties, or turnovers. They got it done. So kudos. There were some bright spots there for sure. Really good road win against a good team. Didn't make it unnecessarily stressful. Definitely pleased with today.

A couple of things that were noticed or looked for that I tried to check out.

Newhouse started. Alexander came in on the 3rd drive for some reason. Maybe minor ding on Newhouse or just planned alternating.

The first sack was on Richard not getting enough on the blitz pick up. Second was all Alexander getting beat by a good move.

SS did play LB/TE coverage in the nickel and few times that I noticed. Even had tight coverage on a crossing route that went wide out of bounds.

THE GOOD...

Offense was streaky but you can tell that this will be a premier offense when we fire on all cylinders. This is a Super Bowl caliber offense. We were great last year and vastly upgraded TE with Cook and Lynch over Latavius.

Giorgio. What can you say? Spectacular game and so glad to see him do well. He's put in practice for years, finally gets his big break, and crushes the oppurtunity.

Eddie Vanderdoes. He played outstanding considering he was a rookie going up against a top 10 O-line. Made plays against the run and the pass.

Cordarelle Patterson. I said he'd be the best FA addition in the off-season and he showed why. Outstanding boost to our special teams on coverage and kickoffs

The LBers. I expected them to get abused but they did a great job of sound tackling and keeping plays in front of them. James looked like a legitimate starter. Lee and Morrow played the run well. Good start to the season from a group we were all very concerned about.

KoJo

THE BAD...

Cooper's drops and Carr's ball placement in the first half. Both of which im not worried about long term.

3rd and long defense.

The UGLY...

Bruce Irvin. 2 stupid penalties and needs to make more of an impact than he did today.

Vadal Alexander got murdered whenever he was in. Hes a backup G and that's it.

Mack getting mugged in a game where the refs were blind to the trenches.

THE GREAT...

We play the Jets next week xD

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

i don't care how it happened. I don't wanna see it again (back to back targets in the redzone). We have too many other legit options in the area. Coop has done this enough for it to be a pattern. And like I said I don't want us to abandon him down there, just if the slant misses, let's move on to a Crab fade, a Lynch run or a Cook corner route. All are very high percentage plays IMO.

I think Crab is better on slants in the redzone than fades TBH.

This offense moves so much smoother with Downing at the helm. You can tell he's letting Derek call a lot of his shots. It's a good quality when a leader knows to delegate important tasks to those he trusts. Second half defense was pretty impressive too. Man was it great seeing Giorgio have such a breakout on top of all that though. 

14 minutes ago, NickButera said:

We played probably more of a complete game than any of last year

I was thinking that too. Most complete team performance I have seen us play in a long time. Our O was for the most part rolling, the D wasn't a complete disaster, and our ST's were balling out.

Probably the most pleasing aspect of this game was the attitude on all fronts of this Raiders team. We're no longer push-overs or a soft touch like we have been in the recent past, we have skill and speed but we also have a nasty edge to us which will serve us well throughout the season and make us a team no-one will want to play.

Loved the Cooper TD where the big, bad boys on the OL couldn't wait to get stuck in and drive Coop over the goaline, sends a message to the D loud and clear. Then we had Lynch just steamrollering a top tier DT and one of the titans top players in Casey, when your best player gets trucked it's confidence sapping and possibly my favourite (especially as it was a rookie) Vanderdoes flattening a top tier OT in Conklin all the while Mack ploughs 3 defenders up the pitch.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZyTXsZxqpE

We still have a few flaws to iron out but the D gave a much better account of themselves and we have something positive to build on. It's also very pleasing to see that Lynch appears to have not lost an ounce of explosion or commitment which will serve us well come the sharp end of the season.

The Good

Starting the season with a Win - massively important

Overall line play - I thought we edged both the line battles against a very good team, bodes well

No catastrophic errors on D - something to build on with regard to the young guys though we do have some things to work out (TE, 3rd downs)

Excellent Run D for the most part and our much maligned LB core looked decent

Playcalling on both sides of the ball I thought was good

Tavecchio couldn't have done better in a huge pressure situation

Lynch looks like the back we need come winter football and playoff football time

The Bad

Bruce Irvin has to be smarter - or at least make a couple big plays to offset the stupidity

Drops - we must improve this if we want to win the really big games

A number of obvious missed holds, especially on Mack - I though with his higher profile we'd be getting more of these calls now

The Ugly

I really can't think of anything from a Raiders perspective, maybe the Irvin brain farts could be moved here.........

Archived