Week 9 GDT: Browns @ Broncos

BroncoSojia

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the frustrating thing is that of all the names I like, the vast majority are on expiring contracts. This goes to show how important it is to pick up good players in the draft (or even UDFA) to tie them down to longer contracts should they pan out. The following players are all on expiring contracts that I would really like to see stay:

Davontae Harris
Bausby
Purcell
Spencer
Wilkinson
Allen

Granted, most of these names will be more valuable to us than other teams, however - if they do return they are definitely going to be a more significant cost than what they are on at present.

All comes back to drafting well which we really haven't done.

Bausby might never play again, though.   Neck injuries with temp paralysis are tough to get cleared.  Can't blame anyone there.

All of those other guys have less than 3 year of service time (except Allen) heading into 2019, so they're either ERFA or RFA's, which means we can retain them pretty cheaply.    

Harris, Spencer & Bausby are ERFA's, no doubt they are coming back unless Bausby can't get cleared.

Allen, WIlkinson & Purcell are RFA's.  Allen's a Rd6 draftee, so it's an easy call for original round tender.   Wilkinson and Purcell are UDFA's, but demand shouldn't be high enough that an original round tender should be able to keep both.

Purcell's RFA status for 2020 was one of the reasons I liked the signing.  Not just a stop-gap move, with zero upside, like Riddick's signing.   I'd imagine we'll see Purcell & Wikinson both back (Wilkinson having to fight for a roster spot in 2020, though, if Elway does the right thing and hit the draft for 2, if not 3 OL, and 2 on Day 1-2).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Damn, didn't know we had that much cap room....xD

Close to 69 million lol. 68.783 million to be exact. 

If we don't go big in free agency at rb or in line te I can see a trade down similar to Philly in 2018. Keep in mind Elway loved Wentz ... Drew and Wentz are similar in the fact that they both play big play hero type ball sometimes biggest flaw.

You combat that by getting a high upside inline te ( Goedert, Andrews) to make his reads easier. Bigger need than burner wr unless you're sold on Fort, and Butt coming back full health.

Rb- is another thing if we don't go big in free agency (Howard, Mark Ingram type move) they drafted (Hill, Sanders) could be a higher priority than anyone suspects with a trade down. Bigger priority than a burner wr which there are plenty of this class.

The number one offseason priority for us and the Raiders this offseason are going to be to create top 10 time of possession offense's to slow down Patty Mahomes and expose Andy Reids Flaws of clock Management. 

Our offense is being built to mirror Philly's. 

Sutton- Alshon

LOCK- Wentz

FANT- Ertz

Heurman ( need upgrade trade his a for a 5th) = Goedert

Desean= don't have one

Lindsay= Sproles

Freeman= Howard

?= Miles Sanders

Oline we all know the weakness lol

John Elway = Howie Roseman - they think too similarly and are both top 8 gms that's why a trade involving a 3rd or higher will most likely never happen lol.

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

In case ppl doubted the eye test or @lomaxgrUK’s all-22 recaps, for all of their weaknesses about competition faced its hard to discount the difference vs. everyone else on our OL....

And that’s not even counting the penalties.  Sheesh.  

I would recommend everyone follow Matt McChesney on twitter who tells you everything you need to know about #72 every single week.

Go watch the Fant TD back again - Bolles literally lets his man run right by him to get a huge hit on Brandon Allen.

It's my biggest critique of this entire Coaching staff right now that they let this guy go out there each week. There is no possible way ANY other Lineman on our roster could be this bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would recommend everyone follow Matt McChesney on twitter who tells you everything you need to know about #72 every single week.

Go watch the Fant TD back again - Bolles literally lets his man run right by him to get a huge hit on Brandon Allen.

It's my biggest critique of this entire Coaching staff right now that they let this guy go out there each week. There is no possible way ANY other Lineman on our roster could be this bad.

Eh, this team lacks depth so I'm not sure there's another option. Honestly, I think if James was healthy maybes they kick Wilkinson to LT, but right now, I think they just have to roll with Bolles.

I was going back and forth with Mase on Twitter a bit last night about OT. He felt we may look to FA to bolster that position. I'm more skeptical, given Elway has struck out a few times there. 

Edited by broncos67
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Eh, this team lacks depth so I'm not sure there's another option. Honestly, I think if James was healthy maybes they kick Wilkinson to LT, but right now, I think they just have to roll with Bolles.

I was going back and forth with Mase on Twitter a bit last night about OT. He felt we may look to FA to bolster that position. I'm more skeptical, given Elway has struck out a few times there. 

I know it is a cliche thing to say, but seriously - if we have someone who knows the playbook, can they honestly do any worse? If he wasn't a 1st round pick, this guy would be literally on the street right now. By tolerating this calibre of play, you're sending a message to your locker room that you can get away with incompetence if you're a high draft pick.

Now, I would understand (as would players) if said player has potential but Bolles doesn't. He's nowhere near strong enough to play at this level. He doesn't understand the game whatsoever (I question whether he actually knows the rules at times) and has no natural feel for leverage. How much worse can Jake Rodgers be? At this point we have to find out, surely?

35 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

What's his Twitter handle there's about 10p Matt Mcchesneys lol

There you go; that is the Fant TD where Bolles gets Allen blasted.

I just watched our first couple of drives on All 22. Allen's first throw is a pick 6 if Denzel Ward gets his head around. You can't throw late and behind on an out route in the NFL. Cardinal sin.

As a result, Allen's next two throws are thrown too far out in front of his intended receivers (Sutton then Fumagali), resulting in them both having to dive for the ball. Sutton would've got an extra 2/3 yards if the ball was on target (was heading out of bounds anyway) but Fumagali lost maybe as many a 10 yards from the poor throw. Both were good decisions, though.

Impressed with how Wilkinson has handled Garrett thus far. Does Garrett normally align himself to the left of the defense? Couple of near misses in the run game. Leary struggling on reach blocks in zone runs (it's a hard block when the Lineman is aligned to the play side of you), and Janovich missed a block that could've been a good run. Impressed with Schobert in run D for the Browns.

Hamilton ran a really nice route on the Allen scramble that went for a 1st down. Good early decision by Allen to scramble, as the Browns LE crashed down the line. Browns in man coverage so an easy 10-12 yard pickup.

On Defense, the dropped Landry pass on the slant would've gone for 20 yards. He absolutely smoked Duke Dawson off the line.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

@lomaxgrUK I know it's extremely early to talk about the 2020 draft but this team is in a bye week.

I know this forum values the middle linebacker position in fangios defense. 

Where do you personally value the runningback position? If there was a TD Clinton Portis level fit in round two would you consider it? 

With our picks remaining stagnant I expect a no atm but picks like everything else can change. I'm strictly talking draft capital to help turn this unit with Drew on a rookie deal and Mahomes in the division in a safer bet to form a Top 10 time of possesion unit along with fixing the O line.

My theory of the long term Viability of the offense based on Elways past GM resume, and the history of the offense.

1)Most important piece oline-

2) Drew Lock

3) Franchise RB Swift, Harris, Florida State guy., Hubbard( T.E from Clemson is the perfect rb fit) his patience and unique running style isnt on the roster would set up play action so well. If we get 5 years from him good move may lead to a title run.

Critical Passing Sutton, Fant,   critical pieces running Andy Janovich  (inline te)- 

4) Lindsay/ #number 2 wr. The number two wr is the third option in this offense think NBA going big or going small. Winfree is going to be the Faux run blocker wr. (Aghlor/ Robbie Anderson) passing situation wr or run to the other side or can move down to slot while Fant goes outside. ( A speed receiver gets picked draft ala Emmanuel Sanders, or TY Hilton Round 3,4.)

Edited by thebestever6