Is Dwayne Haskins is the new Akili Smith?

KOTN-93

On 10/31/2019 at 9:14 PM, theJ said:

That was the norm when Drew Brees came out. No rookies played well. That was also like 2003. 

Most rookies play well now, and it doesn't always mean they'll pan out. But statistically if a guy flops his rookie now, he's likely trash with very exceptions. 

Right. I'm struggling to think of any QB within the last 10 years that was terrible and then became even decent. Matthew Stafford maybe, but he was on a 0-16 team that scarcely added any talent.

2 hours ago, Malik said:

Right. I'm struggling to think of any QB within the last 10 years that was terrible and then became even decent. Matthew Stafford maybe, but he was on a 0-16 team that scarcely added any talent.

So Jared Goff’s not even decent now?  Lmao

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

How do you know this? Are you guys friends? Study buddies?

I think he will be fine. He can play pitch and catch and once he is comfortable he should be a decent or better QB. He has decent athletic ability for an NFL QB and he has enough arm. I won't try to pretend to know his football I.Q. but you don't have to be smart as much as be comfortable.

No he doesn't.  He's extremely slow and unathletic.  Also he has a very sloppy body unbecoming of a high level athlete.  This shows me that he's not disciplined in his eating habits and/or doesn't have much dedication to the weight room.

All in all, there's nothing physically remarkable about Haskins.  In most cases he's extremely below average. 

1 hour ago, VanS said:

No he doesn't.  He's extremely slow and unathletic.  Also he has a very sloppy body unbecoming of a high level athlete.  This shows me that he's not disciplined in his eating habits and/or doesn't have much dedication to the weight room.

All in all, there's nothing physically remarkable about Haskins.  In most cases he's extremely below average. 

You got this from him dominating at Ohio State?

from his zero career NFL starts?

How about his entire 28 career NFL drop backs in 2 relief appearances without first team reps down by 10+ on the road with a crap team?

Or was it from his workouts and the combine where everyone says he has an NFL QB frame, a plus NFL QB arm, and a smooth release?

• Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 3:09 PM, VanS said:

Maybe its time to stop thinking collegiate stats have a correlation to being a great pro?

Stats can be influenced by the talent around you in a team sport.  I never paid much attention to Haskins college numbers for that reason.  I just looked at him as a player and I didn't like what I saw.  He had no physical traits that were noteworthy.  He was slow and unathletic.  His body looked out of shape.  And finally his arm was not special.

Dwayne Haskins lacked the PHYSICAL TRAITS to be a good quarterback in the NFL.  

Quit taking what I said out of context. I said that Akili Smith was WAY OVERDRAFTED because he didn't have ANY production at Oregon. Haskins at least had production, size, accuracy, and a strong arm coming out. 

I think almost all of us OSU fans said that he needed a full season or so before he started because of his sloppy footwork and tendencies to struggle with the blitz/pressure in his face. His arm is solid, not elite. His accuracy is solid, and needs work 15+ yards downfield, albeit much of that was scheme, which also means mentally he's not ready yet.

Akili Smith lacked EVERY trait minus a crazy insane arm where no one knew where the ball would go and solid athleticism. He was a round 3-4 pick at best before the combine. 

9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So Jared Goff’s not even decent now?  Lmao

There's 1. You have anyone else because the league is filled with high end draft picks that started terrible and never improved. I'm not saying Dwayne is going to be that guy because he doesn't even have 2 games worth of pass attempts to even say anything.

Edited by Malik

Here's all the QBs currently in the league that are 30 and under

In no order

• Josh Rosen
  • Sam Darnold
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Daniel Jones
  • Kyler Murray
  • Kyle Allen
  • Josh Allen
  • Gardner Minshew
  • Mason Rudolph
  • Baker Mayfield
  • Patrick Mahomes
  • Deshaun Watson
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Jameis Winston
  • Jared Goff
  • Marcus Mariota
  • Dak Prescott
  • Teddy Bridgewater
  • Jacoby Briskett
  • Derek Carr
  • Jimmy Garopolo
  • Cam Newton

How many of these QBs started off terrible in their first several games starting and then became pretty decent. Jared Goff and maybe Teddy Bridgewater. You can go a little further with guys like Russell Wilson, Case Keenum, and Ryan Tannehill. If QBs aren't showing you anything positive in the beginning these days they usually don't get better.

Shouldn't we wait & judge a QB after he starts 1 football game?

I mean, goodness. The guy has been thrown into 2 games while the team was losing.

The Head Coach was fired & his 1 college season of experience is trying to grasp the ridiculous verbage of Jay Grudens playbook, with Callahan now in charge.

Their currently trying to fix that, with uptempo plays.

So when they call....

"Double spring, H--T set, back spot, force, single-Y motion, curve, pro-feel, L- semper Fi- Trips, R-combo back-set change, futility blast on 2. Ready...Break! "

He can get the plays in, before delay of game.

Let's see what the kid does, in his 1st start.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SkippyX said:

You got this from him dominating at Ohio State?

from his zero career NFL starts?

How about his entire 28 career NFL drop backs in 2 relief appearances without first team reps down by 10+ on the road with a crap team?

Or was it from his workouts and the combine where everyone says he has an NFL QB frame, a plus NFL QB arm, and a smooth release?

I was never impressed with him at Ohio State.  Unlike most I don't care about college production or success.  I only look at physical traits and intangibles.  Haskins failed on both front.  He lacked natural gifts when it came to athleticism.  I also questioned his work ethic given the fact his body was sloppy and out of shape.