• Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown
    • The Bills Mafia
    • ***I can't read and am picking the Browns***

23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We win, but yuck. 

I’ll take ugly wins every week.

The defense played really well and Baker has by far his best game of the year against a team who’d been really tough to throw against.  Chubb looked great, so did Hunt, so did Jarvis and OBJ was causing issues for them even if he wasn’t making a ton of plays.

There was a lot to like about that game tbh.

Hopefully that takes a little of the pressure off of these guys and they can build on the positives come Thursday.

No style points in the NFL. I'll take the W.

Also, not to be a jerk, but after multiple dropped INT, I don't want to hear any more "Baker's INT are blown out of proportion/aren't his fault". I think he played very well against one of the best defenses in the NFL, but not without a few warts. 

Hopefully he builds off of this success the rest of the way. We/he need(s) it going into 2020.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll take ugly wins every week.

The defense played really well and Baker has by far his best game of the year against a team who’d been really tough to throw against.  Chubb looked great, so did Hunt, so did Jarvis and OBJ was causing issues for them even if he wasn’t making a ton of plays.

There was a lot to like about that game tbh.

Hopefully that takes a little of the pressure off of these guys and they can build on the positives come Thursday.

The BEST part? Baker is turning the corner a little bit. He’s played well 3 weeks in a row against top defenses.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Do you remember how amazing the fake shovel pass was in the Ravens game last year?

I think if we are going to 'run' the shovel pass in the future, it should be the fake.

I’m honestly shocked they’ve managed to goof it twice.

It’s a toss to a dude 2 feet away.  It can’t get much safer from a play calling point of view.

Just now, DawgX said:

Where's this week's GDT???

Pittsburgh is playing good football right now. It would feel so good to smack them in the mouth and bring them back down to Earth, but their front seven could cause major problems for our OL.

Cam Heyward is a monster. Him and tj watt could literally win the game for them.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m honestly shocked they’ve managed to goof it twice.

It’s a toss to a dude 2 feet away.  It can’t get much safer from a play calling point of view.

When it happens though, is there not a part of you that goes "oh yes, this is my Browns"?

• Like 1

I am pleased with the victory as well, and don't want to do the "yeah but", however.......

Why is it taking so long to get the plays in?  Freddie needs to allow someone (Monken) call plays from the booth.  Baker has absolutely no time to survey the defense on each play, because the clock is literally running down to 0.  I never see a play being changed at the LOS based on the defense, and I wonder why?  Is it because there is no time for Baker to see what the D is doing?  Are they keeping the reigns on him, and not allowing him to change things up?  It is very frustrating, and I believe we would be better served to let Baker have more leeway at the LOS, and perhaps that would happen if we ran more "hurry up"?  Anyways...nice win....but things are still not looking great from a coaching aspect.

Looking at the wildcard picture is depressing because we are much more talented than every team that is in the wildcard picture and we flushed the season down the toilet. Id be feeling good if we were 4-5 but 3-6 is probably too far behind.

We definitely outplayed Buffalo and it was the first time all year we responded well to adversity. We also didn't play stupid or coach stupid for the 2nd time all year so that's nice.

2 games vs the Steelers will tell a lot. Its talent vs coaching essentially.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

2 games vs the Steelers will tell a lot. Its talent vs coaching essentially.

The Steelers games and the Ravens games give us 3 excellent opportunities to evaluate the team and coaches.

We should beat the Steerlers, no two ways about it.  I realize their defense is good, but they’re playing their backup QB ffs.

If we lose this one Freddie is gonna have a hard time keeping his job imo.  Some games you just have to win.  At home against a team playing their backup is one.  

Losing to 2 backup QB’s in 3 weeks would be inexcusable.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The Steelers games and the Ravens games give us 3 excellent opportunities to evaluate the team and coaches.

We should beat the Steerlers, no two ways about it.  I realize their defense is good, but they’re playing their backup QB ffs.

If we lose this one Freddie is gonna have a hard time keeping his job imo.  Some games you just have to win.  At home against a team playing their backup is one.  

Losing to 2 backup QB’s in 3 weeks would be inexcusable.

You're right about the Steelers.Their defense is putting out some special efforts  and is real but you're right it cannot be emphasized enough regarding how absolutely terrible their offense and QB are/have been.

Their Offense ranks between the dreadful Bengals and Bears in Drive Success Rate and they are 28th in DVOA Offensive Efficiency between Buffalo and Chicago,  with only the Bengals, Washington, Miami, Jets after them. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

However, the stats don't tell it all. Qualitatively, watching Rudolph reveals how truly awful he is. Browns fans who haven't watched the Steelers will be shocked probably with how bad he is when they finally see his strange backpedal backpedal backpedal throw he does every time pressure is on. He does this 5 to 6 times a game and it usually ends in disaster.

I've never seen it before outside of Cade McNown back in his rookie year with the Bears and David Carr when he was running for his life. The difference with Rudolph being that although the Steelers Offensive Line isn't good it's not historically terrible like those other guys.

The Steelers also have no running game at all. Jaylen Samuels was a really nice Hybrid Full-Back/H-Back/Gadget-TE coming out of South Carolina; a more talented version of Lawrence Vickers. He's now their primary RB. He's productive in the passing game but in the running game he doesn't see it at all. Even with Connor back he's been hobbled and ineffective.

Their Defense scoring points consistently makes their overall scoring seem like the offense does okay, but honestly 10 points outscores the Steelers Offense. Their defense is real, but honestly there is just no excuse at all to lose to a team with an offense like theirs.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2