Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

lmao interview them as a trio 

Great news that we're interviewing LaFleur.

I'd take Mike LaFleur over Mike McDaniel at this point.

I respect anyone that has overcome substance abuse issues, but I don't think we can risk anything at this point, especially with the added stressors of more responsibilities that would come from being an NFL OC.

1.) https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/4/14506824/mike-mcdaniel-coaching-staff-alcohol-kyle-shanahan

2.) https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2017/02/02/mike-mcdaniel-atlanta-assistant-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl-2017/97414470/

"He overslept a couple times before Gary Kubiak let him go in Houston. Mike Pettine found bottles of cheap vodka under his desk in Cleveland. Even when he wasn’t getting in trouble for drinking, McDaniel was having trouble with drinking, no matter how many excuses he made to himself about its effects on his creativity and personality...."

Tremendous respect to McDaniel for reportedly being sober for over a 2 year.

Andrew Hawkins has raved about McDaniel's football smarts as Hawk played for him when he was our receivers coach. A little surprising that the Haslam's would interview McDaniel after McDaniel had the drink with Gordon on the plane ride. More than anything it tells me that they are serious about Robert Saleh and want to get a feel for the whole 49ers.

Matt Kafka, QBC Chiefs AND Mike LaFleur, Run-Game OC, 49ers are two of the top young assistants in the league that I'd love to do whatever we can to bring them on to our next staff. Both will be Head Coaches in time. In terms of what I've heard, If Bienemy doesn't get a job, Kafka can be had assuming he gets a run/pass game coordinator role. LaFleur would have to be elevated to right OC to get him here.

In a perfect world, some core hires would be:

HC: Urban Meyer

QB Coach/Pass-Game Coordinator: Mike Kafka

Offensive Coordinator: Mike LaFleur

Defensive Coordinator: Wade Phillips

Senior Assistant, D-Line Coach: Larry Johnson Sr

Edited by Mind Character

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Great news that we're interviewing LaFleur.

I'd take Mike LaFleur over Mike McDaniel at this point.

I respect anyone that has overcome substance abuse issues, but I don't think we can risk anything at this point, especially with the added stressors of more responsibilities that would come from being an NFL OC.

1.) https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/4/14506824/mike-mcdaniel-coaching-staff-alcohol-kyle-shanahan

2.) https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2017/02/02/mike-mcdaniel-atlanta-assistant-kyle-shanahan-super-bowl-2017/97414470/

"He overslept a couple times before Gary Kubiak let him go in Houston. Mike Pettine found bottles of cheap vodka under his desk in Cleveland. Even when he wasn’t getting in trouble for drinking, McDaniel was having trouble with drinking, no matter how many excuses he made to himself about its effects on his creativity and personality...."

Tremendous respect to McDaniel for reportedly being sober for over a 2 year.

Andrew Hawkins has raved about McDaniel's football smarts as Hawk played for him when he was our receivers coach. A little surprising that the Haslam's would interview McDaniel after McDaniel had the drink with Gordon on the plane ride. More than anything it tells me that they are serious about Robert Saleh and want to get a feel for the whole 49ers.

Matt Kafka, QBC Chiefs AND Mike LaFleur, Run-Game OC, 49ers are two of the top young assistants in the league that I'd love to do whatever we can to bring them on to our next staff. Both will be Head Coaches in time. In terms of what I've heard, If Bienemy doesn't get a job, Kafka can be had assuming he gets a run/pass game coordinator role. LaFleur would have to be elevated to right OC to get him here.

In a perfect world, some core hires would be:

HC: Urban Meyer

QB Coach/Pass-Game Coordinator: Mike Kafka

Offensive Coordinator: Mike LaFleur

Defensive Coordinator: Wade Phillips

Senior Assistant, D-Line Coach: Larry Johnson Sr

lafleur certainly wouldnt be our OC, he was blocked last year to go be the OC with his own brother

17 minutes ago, mistakey said:

lafleur certainly wouldnt be our OC, he was blocked last year to go be the OC with his own brother

As long as LaFleur's position is outright Offensive Coordinator it could not be blocked. 

See Below:

On 12/17/2019 at 1:03 AM, Mind Character said:

In this case, I actually think they couldn't block it because it would be a promotion.

Mike LaFleur's official capacity is "Passing Game Coordinator"

So, as long as Kyle doesn't offer one of them an OC job at the end of the Season he couldn't officially block it.

He blocked LaFleur last year from joining brother in Green Bay because he was Wide-Receiver's Coach/Pass Game Coordinator and shared the pass coordination title with someone else. So, it was a promotion to be named full time pass game coordinator.

Eventually these guys are going to get a chance to go out on their own and after prolonged playoff run they'll probably get their chance.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

As long as LaFleur's position is outright Offensive Coordinator it could not be blocked. 

See Below:

Yeah.  Doubtful.  Also even if you’re right he makes him AHC Or offensive coordinator and then we can’t get him for a lateral cHange.  He’s not coming here unless he’s head coach, especially since he’s interviewing for the head coaching spot 

24 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Joe Thomas on the ThomaHawk podcast said he spoke to Mitchell Schwartz, Cam Erving, and Andrew Wylie about Bienemy. 

They said he was more of a "Rah Rah" guy. Joe Thomas then artfully spoke about Bienemy but it sounded like his former teammates didn't give the most glowing endorsement of him as Joe offered no other positives and didn't affirm Andrew Hawkins positive opinion of Bienemy.

Not saying that if that's the case it should drive our decision-making on Bienemy or anything like that.

The possible good of Bienemy is that he holds players acountable and it could mean that Mike Kafka comes with him as QB Coach and OC.

I wouldn't hire him though because it would be another first time HC/OC. Bienemy is also not known to have an all that impressive programmatic plan as was reported by people familiar with his Jets interview last year.

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Yeah.  Doubtful.  Also even if you’re right he makes him AHC Or offensive coordinator and then we can’t get him for a lateral cHange.  He’s not coming here unless he’s head coach, especially since he’s interviewing for the head coaching spot 

No, Shanny is not firing his current Assistant Head Coach or changing his position.

Kyle Shanahan is not giving up play-calling at this point in his Head Coaching career. That is both according to 49ers beat writers and Kyle Shanahan himself.

Therefore, if LaFleur and McDaniel want to call plays full time right away they'll have to leave. Also, LaFleur is the more likely one over McDaniel to get full-time OC or HC looks as McDaniel's substance abuse issues will likely give people pause. A likely scenario is that Saleh gets approval to make LaFleur and not McDaniel his OC or LaFleur gets a full time OC job elsewhere leaving McDaniel to be the one remaining with Shanahan to possibly get a change in title.