Is Matt Nagy Ruining Mitch Trubisky?

soulman

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Why not though?

Why can't Nagy run kind of like a hybrid offense and do a lot of things his QB is comfortable with while sprinkling in the "system" concepts?

If Nagy is hellbent on making Mitch learn his "system" instead of making it simpler and easier for the offense to generate points and is sacrificing wins in the meantime by doing so then he is either a really big idiot or a genius.

Oh I would LOVE if Nagy did that, but it's become quite clear he either can't or won't. 

I’ve been saying for weeks now that it’s both of them. There has been a regression across the board on the offense, that isn’t all alone on Trubisky. 

At the same time if Nagy is truly trying to make his QBs fit his system then this is going to be a recurring situation. Nagy is going to be stubborn and force what ever QB it is to fit his system instead of evolving his offense to the players he has.  

Perhaps when Orlovsky says that Trubisky "missed one guy" he is saying that's the case on actual throws, he missed one guy. I'm moreso referring to guys who are open who are not getting the ball. It seems like every game, there are a handful of plays where that happens. That's the unaccpetable part. He's locking into one guy off the snap and if he's not open, that's it.

Last year Nagy ran a basic offense and Trubisky was decent. This year he expanded it and Trubisky can't do anything well. While the OL does stink, there are below average OL's across the NFL where the offense is succeeding, most notably Seattle's.

If Trubisky was good, we would see that by now. (fwiw, moving Daniels to C and Whitehair to G was ******* stupid, or maybe Daniels really regressed since 2018).

Edited by beardown3231

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Perhaps when Orlovsky says that Trubisky "missed one guy" he is saying that's the case on actual throws, he missed one guy. I'm moreso referring to guys who are open who are not getting the ball. It seems like every game, there are a handful of plays where that happens. That's the unaccpetable part. He's locking into one guy off the snap and if he's not open, that's it.

Last year Nagy ran a basic offense and Trubisky was decent. This year he expanded it and Trubisky can't do anything well. While the OL does stink, there are below average OL's across the NFL where the offense is succeeding, most notably Seattle's.

If Trubisky was good, we would see that by now. (fwiw, moving Daniels to C and Whitehair to G was ******* stupid, or maybe Daniels really regressed since 2018).

Yes.  The offense might be more complicated this year but that doesn't excuse Mitch from not making the throws that are pretty much gimmies.  The play that stood out to me from last week's game is where he takes the snap looks to his right and Anthony Miller is wide open literally 5 yards in front of him and he sees him but for some reason then he looks off him and then to his left and then takes a sack.  Inexcusable play.  That is why I am doubting this kid right now. Those are really simple plays that you should be making.

• Like 1

There might be some merit to this.  If you think about it, the best Mitch plays is late in the 4th quarter where he is moving around trying to make a play with either his feet or legs.  He seems to play better in a frantic schoolyard type situations

15 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

There might be some merit to this.  If you think about it, the best Mitch plays is late in the 4th quarter where he is moving around trying to make a play with either his feet or legs.  He seems to play better in a frantic schoolyard type situations

I believe his biggest deficiency is not accuracy, but in pre and post snap reading of the defense.  Many of the busted plays last week looked bad before the snap-either the OL was going to be overmatched, or the extra blockers were on the wrong side-and Mitch wasn't fixing it.  Plus any hint of misdirection and he's going back to what I assume is his first read, and he either isn't noticing or isn't confident enough to throw to open receivers that he isn't expecting. 

There's a very good chance he's just not smart, which sucks becuase he seems like a good try-hard guy. 

Trubisky has, without a doubt, his own set of problems currently. Whether those problems can ever be fixed remains to be seen.

But I've already stated that Nagy is doing a terrible job developing Mitch. Nagy's flailing and panicking, and I don't even see how that assertion is debatable. If they have to move on from Trubisky, it really scares me what happens next. 

• Like 1

Ravens get it, so when will Bears?
Adapting game plan to QB’s skills makes sense
Mitch Trubisky ranks low this season in a number of quarterbacking categories.

David Haugh In the Wake of the News(Chicago Tribune)

To improve his body language, Mitch Trubisky last week studied the television copy of the Bears-Chargers game at the behest of coach Matt Nagy — who got the idea from his mentor, Chiefs coach Andy Reid.

Perhaps this week Reid can suggest Nagy watch Sunday’s nationally televised Ravens-Patriots matchup to see how a team maximizes the talent of an athletic quarterback.  The Ravens routed the Patriots 37-20 with a dynamic offense that revolves around the unique skill set of Lamar Jackson, a league MVP contender.

In no way does Trubisky pose as big of an all-around threat as the multidimensional Jackson — only a few quarterbacks do. But the Bears can learn from the way the Ravens have tailored their play-calling to accentuate Jackson’s strengths.

Bucking convention, coach John Harbaugh’s offensive staff incorporated Jackson’s feet as much as his arm and became an AFC front-runner. They moved the pocket and called designed quarterback runs to take advantage of Jackson’s elusiveness. They fit the weekly game plan around their quarterback’s style rather than force their quarterback’s style into the weekly game plan.

The Bears have yet to do that with Trubisky, their biggest liability offensively but far from the only one. After the Packers held the Bears without a touchdown in the opener, cornerback Tramon Williams loudly revealed the successful game plan to “make Mitch
play quarterback,’’ and Nagy inadvertently has contributed to that notion by making Trubisky a more stationary passer.

Defenses don’t respect the Bears’ play-action passing game because Nagy struggles so mightily committing to the run . That tendency reduces the number of rollouts that, for whatever reason, improve Trubisky’s accuracy and effectiveness. A conventional pocket passer he isn’t. Accept that and adjust. If the harness Trubisky wears on his left shoulder limits his mobility, then the Bears should consider resting the quarterback.

This season has exposed the fact Trubisky doesn’t throw well enough to play if he cannot run his way out of trouble, which he did successfully in 2018 , when football life was good in Chicago. Nagy came to the Bears touted as an offensive guru , much of which was on display during a 12-4 season that stamped him the NFL Coach of the Year . But what we all neglected to see — perhaps blinded by the disco ball inside “Club Dub” — was how a defensive anomaly contributed to the Bears’ offensive identity.

The Bears led the league last season with a ridiculously high 36 takeaways but have only 11 this year . All those short fields and big leads that allowed for so much offensive imagination have been missing in 2019. The only thing opposing defensive coordinators find baffling is figuring out what exactly the Bears do well enough to eliminate first.  Trubisky is last among starting quarterbacks with 173.9 passing yards per game. He is 30th in passer rating at 80.0 and 33rd in yards per attempt (5.6) in a passing scheme that stretches the field more horizontally than vertically. In six games, Trubisky has the same number of touchdown passes as he does carries on designed running plays — five.

A quarterback who merely needed to put up middle-of-the-pack numbers for the Bears to maintain playoff hopes instead has floundered badly enough to rank among the league’s worst, affecting every offensive player in the huddle. You know teammates know this.
Ample reason exists for Nagy to replace Trubisky with backup Chase Daniel for the Lions game. No, not all the fault lies on Trubisky’s shoulders. Key drops against the Eagles hurt . And a historically bad first half was as much a result of the offensive line as the quarterback — as WSCR-AM analyst Olin Kreutz tweeted Tuesday.

“Just watched the All-22 film of the first half of the Eagles game,’’ Kreutz posted on his Twitter account. “Don’t put any of that on Mitch the Line has to play better. Mitch had no chance…Yes, that was hard for me to write.’’

Still, it’s inconceivable that an NFL coach who has endured Trubisky’s body of work can convince his 52 other players that Trubisky gives the Bears the best chance to beat the Lions. The entire organization no longer can be all about the development of Trubisky. Better alternatives could exist on the open market in the offseason, in order of preference, from Teddy Bridgewater to Marcus Mariota to Cam Newton to Nick Foles to Andy Dalton. But that’s a deeper discussion for another day.

When it comes to the most important position on the field, the present outweighs the future for the 3-5 Bears. Win a game. Worry about the quarterback’s psyche later. Who says the Bears can’t bench Trubisky now and bring him back if Daniel fails? Only one rule guides NFL teams stuck in a four-game losing streak: Do whatever it takes to end it. An efficient Daniel increases the odds of ending it more than an erratic Trubisky does.

If Nagy insists on sticking with Trubisky as the starter against the Lions — as he indicated with Monday’s endorsement — then he must help the quarterback help himself. Get his adrenaline pumping. Script an early quarterback draw. Move the pocket. Use the I formation to establish the run and set up the play-action pass. Utilize what Trubisky still does well and make it about him, not the offense. The way the Ravens did with their young quarterback.

David Haugh is a special contributor to the Chicago Tribune and co-host of the “Mully and Haugh Show” weekdays from 5-9 a.m. on WSCR-AM-670.

At the start of the season, I defended Shaheen, saying we simply don't know enough about him to "label" him yet. While I don't think we know for sure he's HOPELESS, we for sure can label him. And, my distaste for so much Cohen in the game plan is well known. These two should essentially be benched.

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Trubisky has, without a doubt, his own set of problems currently. Whether those problems can ever be fixed remains to be seen.

But I've already stated that Nagy is doing a terrible job developing Mitch. Nagy's flailing and panicking, and I don't even see how that assertion is debatable. If they have to move on from Trubisky, it really scares me what happens next. 

It's debatable to me. How can you figure that out exactly? 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You also have to figure in what is being called and who is on the field. It's not that simple. 

It’s an honest question. Many people are advocating for change from Nagy without being specific about which changes he should make.

That coaches should “build a scheme to fit their players” is a sports trope as old as time. Until that discussion becomes more tangible, it just seems like an attempt to shift blame onto Nagy and away from the most obvious problem with the Bears offense.