Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

On 11/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, NateDawg said:

I've been around people every day as an essential worker since this thing started.  I haven't gotten to just work from home or stay away from people.  So you best believe I'm going to see family on Thanksgiving if I'm dealing with seeing strangers and acquaintances every other day of the year anyways. 

I guess that is one way to look at it. 

If I was around people and at high risk of infection, there is no way I would risk seeing family.

• Like 3

What up, Turkeybros. Missed you guys. Anyway, I need your help. We’re being responsible and staying home this year and I’m making the stuffing/dressing. I enjoy this dish, and like a lot of people I don’t want to get all flashy and creative with it. I want what I’m used to. Anyone have a solid, blue collar, salt of the earth recipe?

20 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I guess that is one way to look at it. 

If I was around people and at high risk of infection, there is no way I would risk seeing family.

I see both sides. We gave in and went to a family gathering back in early October. Everyone else was going so we figured what’s one more group, and we stayed mostly masked up. The reality of it though was that I missed my family and so did the kids, so we rationalized. Not going to make that mistake again for Thanksgiving, especially since my wife’s school has become a hot bed.  

Instead, since there’ll be a a longer Christmas break, we’re all going to go get tests after a short quarantine and celebrate with them then. 

I can’t fault people for going the other way though.  

4 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

What up, Turkeybros. Missed you guys. Anyway, I need your help. We’re being responsible and staying home this year and I’m making the stuffing/dressing. I enjoy this dish, and like a lot of people I don’t want to get all flashy and creative with it. I want what I’m used to. Anyone have a solid, blue collar, salt of the earth recipe?

I mean, it depends on what you mean by flashy and creative.

I like to put liver and vegetables in mine.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, MWil23 said:

Hot take:

Stuffing is gross wet bread

I was 100% with you on this take until my family started doing some outside the box type stuffing. Regular stuffing is gross, but my mom's corn bread and sausage stuffing is absolutely incredible. This year, she is doing a seafood stuffing- I think it's got crab, scallops, and a bunch of other stuff in it. I'm psyched for that. 

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I was 100% with you on this take until my family started doing some outside the box type stuffing. Regular stuffing is gross, but my mom's corn bread and sausage stuffing is absolutely incredible. This year, she is doing a seafood stuffing- I think it's got crab, scallops, and a bunch of other stuff in it. I'm psyched for that. 

Hmmmm...interesting! It sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

disgusted a charlie brown christmas GIF by Peanuts

Blarg. I’m talking bread, celery, onions, a few herbs (pronouncing the h)...

Well then just do that.  Put enough turkey/chicken/vegetable stock to make it good and wet, chop a couple ribs celery and an onion, and crumble a small thing of cornbread and some regular bread, a couple eggs, and a pinch of dried parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, and black pepper and bake it.  Like 375 for 30 minutes or so, depending on how much you have.

But it would be drastically improved with that and a chopped carrot, some green onions, and a couple turkey livers.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well then just do that.  Put enough turkey/chicken/vegetable stock to make it good and wet, chop a couple ribs celery and an onion, and crumble a small thing of cornbread and some regular bread, a couple eggs, and a pinch of dried parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, and black pepper and bake it.  Like 375 for 30 minutes or so, depending on how much you have.

But it would be drastically improved with that and a chopped carrot, some green onions, and a couple turkey livers.

My man, coming through for me for the second year running!  Except the liver part.  I will try the green onions, and if I'm ever making it just for myself I'll add the carrot.  The wife isn't a fan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

My man, coming through for me for the second year running!  Except the liver part.  I will try the green onions, and if I'm ever making it just for myself I'll add the carrot.  The wife isn't a fan.

If you're opposed to the liver, adding a 2-3 of tablespoons of melted butter to the slurry at the end will give you some added richness.

Just now, EvilenFroggen said:

From this, am I correct to infer that the liver sort of, melts during the cooking process? 

Not really, but I chop it up small so it spreads throughout and you don't get big pieces of liver.  It just adds a lot of umaminess and richness to it.  If you don't like liver, you can hide it well.  I've been giving it to people that don't like liver for a while and no one notices.  Usually whole turkeys come with a liver, a gizzard, neck, and a heart inside their cavity, so it's a good way to use the liver outside of gravy.  Although I just buy chicken livers and use those because I want a bunch in mine, since I like liver.

If you straight up hate liver, it's probably not your scene though.

Another one I've tried that was more trouble than it was worth, but pretty good, was chestnuts, used in the same way.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Not really, but I chop it up small so it spreads throughout and you don't get big pieces of liver.  It just adds a lot of umaminess and richness to it.  If you don't like liver, you can hide it well.  I've been giving it to people that don't like liver for a while and no one notices.  Usually whole turkeys come with a liver, a gizzard, neck, and a heart inside their cavity, so it's a good way to use the liver outside of gravy.  Although I just buy chicken livers and use those because I want a bunch in mine, since I like liver.

If you straight up hate liver, it's probably not your scene though.

Another one I've tried that was more trouble than it was worth, but pretty good, was chestnuts, used in the same way.

Let's say, for argument's sake, I wanted to try liver in and of itself.  This is pure hypothetical of course, but how would I go about preparing it?

1 minute ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Let's say, for argument's sake, I wanted to try liver in and of itself.  This is pure hypothetical of course, but how would I go about preparing it?

Well, an easy introduction would be either to make mousse/pate or if you like southern food, fried chicken livers.  I don't do this, but a lot of people say to soak beef or calf liver in milk before you cook it to remove the "gaminess."  Fried chicken livers, plus hot sauce, plus an apple/cabbage/green onion vinegar slaw on a baguette makes an incredible sandwich.

Easiest would be to swing by a KFC and just buy some fried chicken livers, then try them with hot sauce and slaw.  All liver has a similar irony flavor, so if you like one, you'll probably like all.

• Like 1