Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, N4L said:

You are halfway there.

I learned this from my Iranian roommate, you need to add SUMAC to it. Sumac will add the sourness that the plain greek yogurt doesnt have relative to sour cream.

I am telling you, sumac and greek yogurt is sour cream, with no fat.

Cannot recommend enough as a sour cream replacement 

we grow sumac by our house, and i added it to my yogurt and i ended up getting a rash. Sadly i might be allergic

On 11/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, Daniel said:

Buy parts: wings, legs, thighs, quarters.  I wouldn't grill turkey myself, but if your grill has a smoker attachment, or is a charcoal grill that you can make into a smoker, then smoking is the way to go.  Turkey needs long cooking times, so high heat is a bad way to go.

That said, if you're set on grilling, then baking it for most of the cooking process, then finishing on the grill would be fine.

What I'm doing for turkey is braising the legs, thighs, and wings in chicken broth, herbs, veggies, and white wine for like an hour and a half two days before, then covering them in butter and putting them in a 500 degree oven for a half hour to get crispy skin.  Worked well on the tester, and the liquid soaks up a lot of colagen, so you get a great gravy starter with the leftover liquid too.

If you want a turkey breast because you like white meat, make a spice mix (two parts salt to one part everything else, which should be a combo of sage, thyme, black pepper, and red pepper) and rub it up under the skin of the breast as best you can a day before, let it sit in the fridge uncovered, then bake it for like two hours in a 325 degree oven (cooking time will vary based on the size of the bird), then finish it by rubbing butter on it and blasting it in a 500 degree oven for a half hour.

A whole breast is a large serving just for one, but leftovers are a part of Thanksgiving tradition, dangit!

lmao.  Like i'd go outside and grill anything at this time of year.  It's at least -10.  you Americans are weird man.

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Stop. Next you'll try to tell me you call it "Pee Can pie," and that it's trash too.

What is actually the proper pronunciation tho?  Like...my mom is from The South and always insists that there's a way to say it.  But i still don't get it, because i feel like she says it's the opposite of what i thought it was supposed to be in the south.

9 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Pecan pie is not trash, no matter what you call it. 

It's trash however you say it tho, tbh.  Hate pecans, hate pumpkins typically combined with such.  Just a real bad pie imo.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What is actually the proper pronunciation tho?  Like...my mom is from The South and always insists that there's a way to say it.  But i still don't get it, because i feel like she says it's the opposite of what i thought it was supposed to be in the south.

Peh-cahn. Technically, both common pronunciations are correct, but English borrows the word from French, so the southern pronunciation (peh-cahn) is closer to the original.

It's trash however you say it tho, tbh.  Hate pecans, hate pumpkins typically combined with such.  Just a real bad pie imo.

Those are literally my two favorite pies. One is nutty sweet deliciousness, and the other is just pumpkin flavored custard. Yall are nuts.

Also, you do realize that those are two different pies, right?

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Peh-cahn. Technically, both common pronunciations are correct, but English borrows the word from French, so the southern pronunciation (peh-cahn) is closer to the original.

Those are literally my two favorite pies. One is nutty sweet deliciousness, and the other is just pumpkin flavored custard. Yall are nuts.

Also, you do realize that those are two different pies, right?

Yes, i do realize they're sometimes two different pies.  Though 'round here, often find them combined.

Don't like either separate, or both combined.  Pumpkin especially, is just a bad flavour imo.

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

Pumpkin DOES NOT go in pecan pie. There is no combination. If you add pumpkin, all you've done is ruined a good pie. 

Agreed.  I could see adding pecans to the crust of a pumpkin pie, or even pecans on top, but making anything resembling a pecan pie with pumpkin in it is an all around bad idea.

56 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yes, i do realize they're sometimes two different pies.  Though 'round here, often find them combined.

Don't like either separate, or both combined.  Pumpkin especially, is just a bad flavour imo.

Do you live in the 9th circle of Hell?  Because that's what it sounds like.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  I could see adding pecans to the crust of a pumpkin pie, or even pecans on top, but making anything resembling a pecan pie with pumpkin in it is an all around bad idea.

Do you live in the 9th circle of Hell?  Because that's what it sounds like.

More like the arctic circle, but that's not altogether different from the 9th circle of Hell sometimes.  So still also, yes.

Though combined pies that i don't like is far from the most torturous elements.

Generally it is just, pecans kinda littered around a pumpkin pie and/or in the crust though.

Edited by Tugboat

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

About to eat turkey and “American” sides at a local restaurant here in Beijing. I’ll report back with how the Chinese do cooking penultimate American food. Usually it’s about how you’d expect. 

Just tell them to pretend the turkey is a duck.

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

Just tell them to pretend the turkey is a duck.

They did a pretty solid job. Turkey was perfectly baked and not dry. Their gravy was amazing too. The sides needed help though. Some kind of cabbage, roasted potatoes instead of mashed, and Brussels sprouts. They had a cranberry gose as their Thanksgiving beer that was okay.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beavis said:

Thanksgiving is amazing but Turkey is painfully overrated. Doing Steak, Mashed taters, Biscuits and Green Beans.

Meh, I think most people just don't know how to cook it properly.  I did the turkey this year, and it was by a wide margin the best turkey I've ever had at Thanksgiving.

Admittedly, that's a low bar since my dad's family likes their poultry overcooked and dry as ****, but still.  Crispy skin, well seasoned, and moist, it's a damn fine main course.

• Like 1