Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

He was hilarious, we saw him on Saturday... He opened for Dave (perhaps the best show I've seen).

I typed that whole thing out before I realized "why would ET see a standup over the weekend unless he was at the show".

Donnell Rawlings is my go to recommendation for everyone who talks about Chappelle Show. No one knows, but that dude has toured forever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I typed that whole thing out before I realized "why would ET see a standup over the weekend unless he was at the show".

Donnell Rawlings is my go to recommendation for everyone who talks about Chappelle Show. No one knows, but that dude has toured forever.

It was an early Christmas present from my sister - we we're front row, center table, it was freaking amazing - and those tickets probably ran about as much as my mortgage, if not more.

From what I remember, Rawlings was great (I was pretty drunk by then, fully admitting it). Then he started talking to me, asking what we're making for Thanksgiving. I mentioned the Turkey/Ham and as soon as I said "Rissoto" he lost it. He looked straight at my wife and said "RISSOTO!? RISSOTO!!? You can see it on her face, SHE KNEW THAT ***** WAS GONNA MENTION THAT RISSOTO! RISSOTO!?!? THE **** MAKING RISSOTO!!!?"

Dave is... Very upset about his entire show being on Netflix. He flat out said "Don't watch Chappelle Show on Netflix until Comedy Central pays me" and even went as far to say "If Comedy Central pays me, if I can get rights back, I'll immediately sign with HBO Max and make new episodes..."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It was an early Christmas present from my sister - we we're front row, center table, it was freaking amazing - and those tickets probably ran about as much as my mortgage, if not more.

From what I remember, Rawlings was great (I was pretty drunk by then, fully admitting it). Then he started talking to me, asking what we're making for Thanksgiving. I mentioned the Turkey/Ham and as soon as I said "Rissoto" he lost it. He looked straight at my wife and said "RISSOTO!? RISSOTO!!? You can see it on her face, SHE KNEW THAT ***** WAS GONNA MENTION THAT RISSOTO! RISSOTO!?!? THE **** MAKING RISSOTO!!!?"

Dave is... Very upset about his entire show being on Netflix. He flat out said "Don't watch Chappelle Show on Netflix until Comedy Central pays me" and even went as far to say "If Comedy Central pays me, if I can get rights back, I'll immediately sign with HBO Max and make new episodes..."

A few things:

1. Do you have any open spots in your family? An uncle you can't take places? One political black sheep? I'll be the lowest of the low if it comes with those tickets.
  2. I challenge anyone to read past the second "RISSOTO" in their own voice. Good luck. 
  3. DAVE SAID HE'D MAKE NEW EPISODES WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAD WITH THAT
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Full menu (so @Counselor can factor in his Gluten and Lactose allergies):

- Cajun Fried Turkey

- Hickory smoked Spiral Ham

- Mashed potatoes

- Green Bean Casserole

- Homemade stuffing

- Braised Cabbage

- Mac and Cheese

- Mushroom and Asparagus Rissoto (true story - Ashy Larry from Chappelle Show made fun of me this past weekend when I mentioned the Rissoto).

Good thing I can eat it all it sounds delicious 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Do you have any open spots in your family? An uncle you can't take places? One political black sheep? I'll be the lowest of the low if it comes with those tickets.

Go ahead and send me a Resume, we'll be in contact.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I challenge anyone to read past the second "RISSOTO" in their own voice. Good luck.

I typed it in his voice, too.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

DAVE SAID HE'D MAKE NEW EPISODES WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAD WITH THAT

Saving the best for last, just like Dave did. You can't really fake being that mad about something, he's really heated - says that he signed when he was young and didn't know any better and anything that dictates "in preputiaty" should be considered criminal.

We were going to watch Chappelle Show when we got back home - now I'm not going to watch it at all.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, pwny said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sage-sausage-stuffins-muffings-stuffing-muffin-thanksgiving-recipe.html

Make these. It will change your entire view on stuffing. My girlfriend who “doesn’t like stuffing”, now thinks stuffing is the best part of thanksgiving with this recipe.

It’s the talk of every get together we’ve brought them to.

I was planning on making his regular sage sausage stuffing this year, good to hear they have your endorsement.  

Anyone have recommendations for turkey for one?  We aren't traveling home this year and my girlfriend is a vegetarian so it'll just be turkey for me.  Wegmans has some honey brined turkey breasts I was thinking about picking up then just cooking in that stuffing recipe pwny posted above.  Maybe trying the grill?

57 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Anyone have recommendations for turkey for one?  We aren't traveling home this year and my girlfriend is a vegetarian so it'll just be turkey for me.  Wegmans has some honey brined turkey breasts I was thinking about picking up then just cooking in that stuffing recipe pwny posted above.  Maybe trying the grill?

Buy parts: wings, legs, thighs, quarters.  I wouldn't grill turkey myself, but if your grill has a smoker attachment, or is a charcoal grill that you can make into a smoker, then smoking is the way to go.  Turkey needs long cooking times, so high heat is a bad way to go.

That said, if you're set on grilling, then baking it for most of the cooking process, then finishing on the grill would be fine.

What I'm doing for turkey is braising the legs, thighs, and wings in chicken broth, herbs, veggies, and white wine for like an hour and a half two days before, then covering them in butter and putting them in a 500 degree oven for a half hour to get crispy skin.  Worked well on the tester, and the liquid soaks up a lot of colagen, so you get a great gravy starter with the leftover liquid too.

If you want a turkey breast because you like white meat, make a spice mix (two parts salt to one part everything else, which should be a combo of sage, thyme, black pepper, and red pepper) and rub it up under the skin of the breast as best you can a day before, let it sit in the fridge uncovered, then bake it for like two hours in a 325 degree oven (cooking time will vary based on the size of the bird), then finish it by rubbing butter on it and blasting it in a 500 degree oven for a half hour.

A whole breast is a large serving just for one, but leftovers are a part of Thanksgiving tradition, dangit!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Buy parts: wings, legs, thighs, quarters.  I wouldn't grill turkey myself, but if your grill has a smoker attachment, or is a charcoal grill that you can make into a smoker, then smoking is the way to go.  Turkey needs long cooking times, so high heat is a bad way to go.

That said, if you're set on grilling, then baking it for most of the cooking process, then finishing on the grill would be fine.

What I'm doing for turkey is braising the legs, thighs, and wings in chicken broth, herbs, veggies, and white wine for like an hour and a half two days before, then covering them in butter and putting them in a 500 degree oven for a half hour to get crispy skin.  Worked well on the tester, and the liquid soaks up a lot of colagen, so you get a great gravy starter with the leftover liquid too.

If you want a turkey breast because you like white meat, make a spice mix (two parts salt to one part everything else, which should be a combo of sage, thyme, black pepper, and red pepper) and rub it up under the skin of the breast as best you can a day before, let it sit in the fridge uncovered, then bake it for like two hours in a 325 degree oven (cooking time will vary based on the size of the bird), then finish it by rubbing butter on it and blasting it in a 500 degree oven for a half hour.

A whole breast is a large serving just for one, but leftovers are a part of Thanksgiving tradition, dangit!

This sounds perfect, thank you sir!

Just now, flyers0909 said:

This sounds perfect, thank you sir!

Stole it from America's Test Kitchen and modified it after trying it myself.  Also, I'd recommend a couple of squeezed lemons and fresh herbs in the turkey's cavity (I used the stems of the parsley I got for something else), and make sure to get the spice rub in there too, so the flavor comes through the whole thing, and not just the surface.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:39 AM, Daniel said:

Plain Greek yogurt makes a good sour cream sub.

You are halfway there.

I learned this from my Iranian roommate, you need to add SUMAC to it. Sumac will add the sourness that the plain greek yogurt doesnt have relative to sour cream.

I am telling you, sumac and greek yogurt is sour cream, with no fat.

Cannot recommend enough as a sour cream replacement