Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Meh, I think most people just don't know how to cook it properly.  I did the turkey this year, and it was by a wide margin the best turkey I've ever had at Thanksgiving.

Admittedly, that's a low bar since my dad's family likes their poultry overcooked and dry as ****, but still.  Crispy skin, well seasoned, and moist, it's a damn fine main course.

Until my brother in law cooked a Turkey, I shared that opinion. After the last three years, total 180 on that. It’s unbelievable 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D82 said:

Had a smoked turkey for the first time ever over at my BF's families house. 

My. God. Where have you been all my life? 

I feel this way about deep fried turkey. Good lord.

This year we actually deep fried it without putting it in oil. Almost airfried really. It was FANTASTIC.

Turkey in the oven is such a dated concept.

So I've got a ton of leftover turkey. Barely made a dent in that bird, so I made a turkey and sausage gumbo yesterday - turkey, sausage, onion, okra, pre-made roux, cauliflower rice, threw in some hot sauce I got from a Nashville hot chicken place...

It was arguably the best single item I've ever made, we mixed it with cornbread stuffing - it was orgasmic, absolutely incredible. I air fried the turkey and sausage with olive oil and a steakhouse seasoning, which re-crisped it - game-changer, absolute game-changer.

Next up - turkey and bacon carbonara, paired with angel hair pasta.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

This year we actually deep fried it without putting it in oil. Almost airfried really. It was FANTASTIC.

Like...the flavor, the tenderness...it was amazing. A good smoker definitely moved up my wishlist. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I'm very curious on how you did this. I wanted to deep fry my bird, but my wife was worried to the point of having a panic attack at the thought of burning my house down.

An air fry would alleviate that.

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm very curious on how you did this. I wanted to deep fry my bird, but my wife was worried to the point of having a panic attack at the thought of burning my house down.

An air fry would alleviate that.

It is called the char broil big easy 

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer-17102065?utm_campaign=G_Fryer_B_Site&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjq23namm7QIVDI-GCh2_6wFMEAAYASAAEgKPZPD_BwE

On 11/28/2020 at 6:24 AM, D82 said:

Yeah it’s hard to go back to oven turkey rubbish after a good smoked bird 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 2:32 PM, ET80 said:

To be completely fair, it is you. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, Daniel said:

Meh, I think most people just don't know how to cook it properly.  I did the turkey this year, and it was by a wide margin the best turkey I've ever had at Thanksgiving.

Admittedly, that's a low bar since my dad's family likes their poultry overcooked and dry as ****, but still.  Crispy skin, well seasoned, and moist, it's a damn fine main course.

I don't even know that it's about the cooking.  Turkey just isn't the best.  But it's still good.  For me, it's just the association with certain holidays that makes it worth it.  Even if it is cooked poorly.  I spend most of the year, generally avoiding Turkey anything.  So it feels kinda "special" when the holidays hit.  Worst case...it's dry, so just drown it in gravy and power through, lubricated with much wine.  It's just...the flavour of the season.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, D82 said:

I smoked a turkey this year and this was my father-in-law's response. When done right, it's amazing.

• 11 months later...

Yes, I know "we" don't bump old threads, but I'm hoping for some leeway on the T-Day Holiday that is approaching faster than you imagine...Scroll back and there are some decent recipes in here

When was the first ever Thanksgiving NFL game played?

In 1934, the NFL played its first Thanksgiving game. The Detroit Lions would welcome the Chicago Bears to a feast on Thanksgiving on November 29, 1934, and have been a tradition ever since.

How long have the Lions been playing on Thanksgiving?

Richards negotiated an agreement with NBC to broadcast his Thanksgiving games on 94 stations across the country. Since 1978, the Lions and Cowboys have hosted a game on Thanksgiving every year. ( 43 years)

il_570xN.685011090_lxxa.jpg&f=1&nofb=1