Thanksgiving is AWESOME

Shanedorf

7 hours ago, DaveDX said:

Ask and receive, brotherham.  I don't work in specific amounts, but I could try if pressed.

Cook bacon in a pan.  I use a large pan and mostly cover the bottom with bacon, but you can use as much or as little as you like.  Remove the bacon but leave the grease!  Put the bacon aside to cool.

I use two small bags of sprouts.  Remove the stem ends, quarter them (halves are fine for smaller ones) and put them in a bowl along with a large yellow onion,sliced thin.   Only using one bag of sprouts?  Half the onion.

Now, I originally put butter in the pan but stopped a couple of years ago and no one really noticed, so it's up to you if you want to or not.  Put a little butter in the pan and let it melt, then add minced garlic and the sprouts/onions.  Saute those in the butter and bacon grease for awhile then add some dry white wine.  I like to use dirt cheap Aldi or Walmart sauv blanc, but any will do.  Just make sure it's not sweet.  Ruined the dish that way once.  I probably end up using a 1/4th of a bottle, but once again that's in a big pan.  Then cover and turn down the heat, let that simmer til they're soft.  Crumble up the bacon and stir it in, then salt and pepper to taste.  You WILL have people insisting you bring this to family occasions, so be forewarned.

I’m making brussel sprouts for dinner now

this sounds like how my MIL makes hers, but she massages some chunk horseradish in between the leaves for the folks that like horseradish 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

What's the cook time?

I freestyle pretty hard, even with my own recipes. Let’s call it ten minutes after you lower it to a simmer, but I probably do it longer.  You want most of the wine reduced into the sprouts. What I really do is just taste one of the biggest pieces to make sure it’s soft and flavorful. I’m not going to say you can’t overcook them, but the window is so wide it’s very difficult to do. Generally the longer you simmer the better. 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

How much is a service like this? 

I’ve considered brining and smoking turkeys for pay, but I’d have to charge so much for it that it wasn’t a feasible strategy. 

I’ll get you that info as soon as I can. 

edit: Turkey, dressing, taters, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato casserole for fifty bones. 

Edited by DaveDX
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

I’ll get you that info as soon as I can. 

edit: Turkey, dressing, taters, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato casserole for fifty bones. 

Yeah, I can’t come close to providing that service for that price on my own lol 

40 minutes ago, Dome said:

Yeah, I can’t come close to providing that service for that price on my own lol 

That’s not necessarily who you’re competing against. If you’re providing a specialized service that people can’t get elsewhere, they might be willing to pay more. And if thats the case, you’d need to look into a non-commercial supplier. You don’t want to pay grocery store prices to turn around and sell it at a comparable rate. Profit margins would be minuscule at best. You’d need some sort of wholesale price. Unless you can justify the added value. 

Edited by DaveDX
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

That’s not necessarily who you’re competing against. If you’re providing a specialized service that people can’t get elsewhere, they might be willing to pay more. And if thats the case, you’d need to look into a non-commercial supplier. You don’t want to pay grocery store prices to turn around and sell it at a comparable rate. Profit margins would be minuscule at best. You’d need some sort of wholesale price. Unless you can justify the added value. 

I work as a butcher at a grocery store, so I’d be getting the birds at wholesale price... 

when I did the math, it was gonna be pretty outrageous what I would have to charge to make it worth it. 

I think a big part of that is working in a small town, I wouldn’t get the number of orders I needed to do it in bulk where I could really pump em out faster. I’d imagine that people could get a product similar to what you were talking about in town, it’s only about an hour drive. I can’t keep up with the big stores output in my store.

Edited by Dome

Just now, Dome said:

I work as a butcher at a grocery store, so I’d be getting the birds at wholesale price... 

when I did the math, it was gonna be pretty outrageous what I would have to charge to make it worth it. 

I think a big part of that is working in a small town, I wouldn’t get the number of orders I needed to do it in bulk where I could really pump em out faster 

That's awesome man, I'm in restaurants so I get it.  And yeah, market size is definitely a thing.  I had a prep cook at one place I managed that every Valentine's Day he would get strawberries and a bunch of decorative items and he'd make bouquets of chocolate covered strawberries.  Some with yogurt, some with nuts, some with fudge, etc.  Made a killing.  Added value.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 4:59 PM, DaveDX said:

I freestyle pretty hard, even with my own recipes. Let’s call it ten minutes after you lower it to a simmer, but I probably do it longer.  You want most of the wine reduced into the sprouts. What I really do is just taste one of the biggest pieces to make sure it’s soft and flavorful. I’m not going to say you can’t overcook them, but the window is so wide it’s very difficult to do. Generally the longer you simmer the better. 

Just bought everything I need to make this tonight.. ran out of time on Monday 

On 11/11/2019 at 9:37 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

who's got a killer mac and cheese recipe.

I've found a couple online but I trust you guys more.

I mean, i've made some imo killer mac and cheese in the past, but it's weird to me that it's a Thanksgiving thing.  It feels...culturally inappropriate for the season kinda.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, i've made some imo killer mac and cheese in the past, but it's weird to me that it's a Thanksgiving thing.  It feels...culturally inappropriate for the season kinda.

Well, good news is I got demoted to pasta salad which doesn't really belong either lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If we are talking about "culturally appropriate", we should eat waterfowl, venison, ham, lobster, clams, berries, squash/pumpkin and other fruits.

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If we are talking about "culturally appropriate", we should eat waterfowl, venison, ham, lobster, clams, berries, squash/pumpkin and other fruits.

I think by culture, he means ‘Murican culture. Mac and cheese is a weird side to have at Thanksgiving. Your carbs are supposed to come from dressing and potatoes, not pasta.