Do Matt Moore and Alex Smith take away from Mahomes success?

patriotsheatyan

The Chiefs have been productive both games with Moore starting while playing good pass defenses both weeks. 

Alex Smith was a genuine MVP candidate the year before Mahomes started. 

Could this be taken to imply that Mahomes is merely a good QB on a great offense at this point in his career? How would most QBs do in KC right now?

So Chiefs fans may get upset with me for saying this but Mahomes would not be as good, as early in his career without Reid. His success isn’t dependent on Reid and I think he’d be successful anywhere but he is definitely special while coached by Reid. Reid has made it work with so many QB’s over the years, Mcnabb, Feeley, Vick, Kolb, Smith, Moore, Mahomes. To be honest I think Andy Reid May be the best QB coach of all time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

So Chiefs fans may get upset with me for saying this but Mahomes would not be as good, as early in his career without Reid. His success isn’t dependent on Reid and I think he’d be successful anywhere but he is definitely special while coached by Reid. Reid has made it work with so many QB’s over the years, Mcnabb, Feeley, Vick, Kolb, Smith, Moore, Mahomes. To be honest I think Andy Reid May be the best QB coach of all time. 

As a Chiefs fan, I'd agree. But I'll also add, if Mahomes wasn't as talented as he is, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Matt Moore, after four games, would project to a 2,637yds and 16 TD season.

In Alex's MVP like 2017 season, he put up 4,042yds and 26 TD.

In Mahomes actual MVP season it was 5,000+yds and 50 TD. Just a small difference between him and the other two.

• Like 5

Did you see Alex Smith for the entirety of his 5 seasons? He was awful for 3 of them, average for one and good for his final season. Matt Moore had 2 decent games but lets not get crazy. There isn't any tape on him for a few years and the offense changed a bit to fit his talents.

5 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

And ya know.. Brett Favre. Maybe Matt Hasselback also?

Edited by Matts4313

Yes... if Mahomes was putting up Alex Smith Chiefs numbers. Which would be really good for a young QB, so good, that combined w/ his rocket arm and penchant for highlight plays, he’d still be drooled over. 

...but that’s not what he’s doing/did, he put up a 5k 50TD season. He FAR surpassed anything Smith did and took the offense to new heights. So final answer is no.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t benefit tremendously from Reid and the supporting talent, but again... 5k yards and 50 TDs, you don’t do that w/out a tremendous supporting cast. He doesn’t sniff those numbers if he’s plsying in Chicago the past 1.5 years... but neither does anyone in NFL history.