The Bengals' Historically Bad Defense

theJ

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I find it hard to believe Davontae Harris wasn't good enough to make the Bengals' roster. Starting at corner for a top 5 defense right now. 

It's probably coaching.  We had that problem a lot under Rob Ryan.  

5 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Shouldn’t have fired Lewis. Would be 2-6 right now. Should have given him a five year extension.

I dunno if you're being sarcastic but I actually am a bit of a Marvin truther in that I think he was the only thing holding that mess up and making it resemble a competent organization. I fully expected the bottom to fall out once he was gone.

Guy was basically a college coach with how much of the overall program he was responsible for. You need to replace that dynamic in Cincy and you have like a one in a thousand shot of successfully doing it. I doubt their 14 year old current head coach is going to be up for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

It's probably coaching.  We had that problem a lot under Rob Ryan.  

Wouldn't be the first time in recent history that Denver picked up a Bengal washout and struck gold. I remember how terrible Domata Peko was supposed to be when the Broncos signed him and he ended up being a fantastic signing. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I know it's not the biggest weakness of the unit but I find it hard to believe Davontae Harris wasn't good enough to make the Bengals' roster. Starting at corner for a top 5 defense right now. 

No surprise. We’re dysfunctional. We have a problem letting young players play. We spend money carefully and once they’re paid they’re locked in as starters. 

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I know it's not the biggest weakness of the unit but I find it hard to believe Davontae Harris wasn't good enough to make the Bengals' roster. Starting at corner for a top 5 defense right now. 

You and me both. Was shocking at the time too. 

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I dunno if you're being sarcastic but I actually am a bit of a Marvin truther in that I think he was the only thing holding that mess up and making it resemble a competent organization. I fully expected the bottom to fall out once he was gone.

Guy was basically a college coach with how much of the overall program he was responsible for. You need to replace that dynamic in Cincy and you have like a one in a thousand shot of successfully doing it. I doubt their 14 year old current head coach is going to be up for that.

They would have been better under Lewis. But they wouldn't be good. The change had to be made. 

I actually like their HC hire. The problem is they've had to deal with a lot of key injuries. When your first round pick goes down and AJ Green goes down, and Joe Mixon isnt on fire, and the defense is on the field 50 minutes of a 60 minute game I mean...wtf are you supposed to do?

If it were me in the FO making decisions I'd let every guy that saves me a considerable amount of cap space and doesnt add long term talent to the team walk in the offseason, cut bait with them. Start a complete, legit rebuild and let Taylor mold the team in his creative minded vision. If it doesnt work, fine you move on eventually. But think what you will about Marvin Lewis he was there forever because he kept the team competitive. Taylor cant do that in the teams current state.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I actually like their HC hire. The problem is they've had to deal with a lot of key injuries. When your first round pick goes down and AJ Green goes down, and Joe Mixon isnt on fire, and the defense is on the field 50 minutes of a 60 minute game I mean...wtf are you supposed to do?

If it were me in the FO making decisions I'd let every guy that saves me a considerable amount of cap space and doesnt add long term talent to the team walk in the offseason, cut bait with them. Start a complete, legit rebuild and let Taylor mold the team in his creative minded vision. If it doesnt work, fine you move on eventually. But think what you will about Marvin Lewis he was there forever because he kept the team competitive. Taylor cant do that in the teams current state.

Are they going to actually let them spend money though because Bengals have a lot of cap space a lot of the time during Marvin's tenure.

14 minutes ago, Malik said:

Are they going to actually let them spend money though because Bengals have a lot of cap space a lot of the time during Marvin's tenure.

They won't spend any money.  They have a ton of it, but it doesn't matter.  They stand on principal there.  They have valuations of players from 2005, and are surprised when they're signed for 2x more than that.

45 minutes ago, Malik said:

Yeah I wouldnt bet on it. I've never really understood the mentality of the Bengals FO, but...at least they've gotten better QB play than the Browns.

13 hours ago, theJ said:

They would have been better under Lewis. But they wouldn't be good. The change had to be made. 

Sure, but the chances of the grass being greener with that organizational set-up is really low. It's a lot for any coach, and not a job that can get any coach. 

I understand why they made the move, but I think history will  be a lot kinder to Marvin than how he's perceived today. 

Edited by BroncoBruin