The Bengals' Historically Bad Defense

theJ

Credit to The Athletic's Paul Dehner Jr. for digging this stat up.  I thought it deserved some attention outside of Bengals circles.

The 2019 Bengals are now the second team (in the super bowl era) to give up 460+ scrimmage yards in four straight games - weeks 5-8.

The first team to do it?  The 2018 Bengals - weeks 6-10 (there was a bye in there).

Pro-football reference link

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Way to jinx this week -_-

I fully expect it to be five in a row.  This team has the worst LB group i've ever seen.  It's no secret you just have to attack the edges.  The LB's can't get out there, and it neutralizes Geno and Billings, who are actually pretty good run defenders if it's a run up the middle.

Just now, theJ said:

I fully expect it to be five in a row.  This team has the worst LB group i've ever seen.  It's no secret you just have to attack the edges.  The LB's can't get out there, and it neutralizes Geno and Billings, who are actually pretty good run defenders if it's a run up the middle.

Yeah, Geno is still a very capable player from what I've seen this year. Honestly kinda feel bad for the guy...how many years does he have left on his contract? I'd have to imagine without a tag he'd be leaving when that's up.

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

That's not good. Does this team need a proper GM?

They need some damn LB's.  They've ignored the position for like 15 years straight now.  They got lucky with Vontaze Burfict for a few years, and before that Dhani Jones was great for them for a few years.  Odell Thurman had that one splash year.  And before Marvin you had Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons for a few years.

That's it.  20 years of LB'ing, 5 good LB's.  

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah, Geno is still a very capable player from what I've seen this year. Honestly kinda feel bad for the guy...how many years does he have left on his contract? I'd have to imagine without a tag he'd be leaving when that's up.

He just re-upped in the 2019 offseason.  So like 4 more years?

• Like 1