VanS

If you didn't think Joe Burrow was a 1st rounder last year, why would you think he's one this year?

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Uh huh. Here are the second through fourth seasons of two QBs:
QB A
29-19 record
1031/1651
62.4% completion percentage
12,679 passing yards (4226 per year)
7.7 YPA
85 passing TDs (28 per year)
53 Ints (18 per year)
89.9 passer rating

QB B
33-14 record
1054/1664
63.3% completion percentage
13,130 passing yards (4377 per year)
7.9 YPA
82 passing TDs (27 per year)
35 Ints (12 per year)
95.4 passer rating

QB A was Peyton Manning. QB B is Jared Goff. Both were 23 to 25 years old during those stretches. There are only 5 QBs in NFL history who posted 10,000+ passing yards, 80+ passing TDs, and a 95+ passer rating over their second through fourth seasons in the NFL. They are: Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Dan Marino, and Jared Goff. I expect Patrick Mahomes (and maybe Deshaun Watson) to join the club next year.

http://pfref.com/tiny/YwZ9S

Different era.   Silly to compare stats from when Peyton was young to now.  With that said, if you wanna die on the Jared Goff hill go right ahead.  Most people have rightfully jumped off his bandwagon and concluded that it was Sean McVay that made him look better than he really was in 2017 and 2018.   Now it looks like the league has caught up with McVay and the real Jared Goff is back.

But hey if you think he's Peyton Manning I won't stop you.  

On 1/14/2020 at 10:15 PM, VanS said:

Agreed.  And I don't see much difference every Sunday between most QBs on that front.  

I do.  At least the ones I watch.  There was a clear and obvious difference in accuracy between Brees and Bridgewater.  Bridgewater would miss wide open guys, or put the ball in a spot that made the receiver work.  Brees very rarely missed throws like that.  

Not that Bridgewater was bad, he wasn't, but with the same supporting cast as Brees had clearly worse accuracy than Brees.  

I've heard Chiefs fans say similar things they noticed between Matt Cassell and Alex Smith.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:20 AM, VanS said:

Different era.   Silly to compare stats from when Peyton was young to now.  With that said, if you wanna die on the Jared Goff hill go right ahead.  Most people have rightfully jumped off his bandwagon and concluded that it was Sean McVay that made him look better than he really was in 2017 and 2018.   Now it looks like the league has caught up with McVay and the real Jared Goff is back.

But hey if you think he's Peyton Manning I won't stop you.  

It won't be me dying on the Jared Goff hill. That's the fun part of all this. But I can't expect self awareness from the guy bleeding out on the Josh Dobbs dirt pile.

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

Of course someone managed to make this thread about Jared Goff. My goodness

If I play this right, I can turn it into a Brady vs. Manning thread.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:56 AM, jrry32 said:

QB A was Peyton Manning. QB B is Jared Goff. Both were 23 to 25 years old during those stretches. There are only 5 QBs in NFL history who posted 10,000+ passing yards, 80+ passing TDs, and a 95+ passer rating over their second through fourth seasons in the NFL. They are: Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Dan Marino, and Jared Goff. I expect Patrick Mahomes (and maybe Deshaun Watson) to join the club next year.

http://pfref.com/tiny/YwZ9S

This lacks context though. Different eras.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

This lacks context though. Different eras.

That's only if you assume I'm arguing Goff is better than Manning. 

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's only if you assume I'm arguing Goff is better than Manning. 

Usually when one tries to put stats side by side like that, it's to imply that their performance is comparable.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Usually when one tries to put stats side by side like that, it's to imply that their performance is comparable.

The greater point was to shine a light on how well Goff has done for his age. Manning and Goff have had similar career trajectories, even down to the down fourth years. Haters gonna hate.

Some of Manning’s early years were bad even for that era.