King Henry Appreciation Thread.

dtait93

5 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah we ain’t franchising him. He’s the face of our franchise and leader of our team.

Yep. Still can’t believe some thought he wouldn’t be back and would rather target another guy like it’s that easy replace him. I don’t give a damn that he’s a RB, he’s the leader and everyone loves him. He was never going anywhere.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yep. Still can’t believe some thought he wouldn’t be back and would rather target another guy like it’s that easy replace him. I don’t give a damn that he’s a RB, he’s the leader and everyone loves him. He was never going anywhere.

Bingo I’m not in favor of paying WR’s 20 + mill, I don’t believe QB’s should make 35 + mill they can’t block cant catch passes but I understand the value & importance of having a elite QB. That being said when the player is a game changer a leader & impact wins significantly, you have to pay him. Henry is a once & a generation RB & when we weren’t using him right, he battled adversity. The titans tried to trade him, they lost faith in him & he didn’t complain he didn’t point the finger & throw a fit or coaches under the buss, he put his head down & worked. 🗣Pay Da King 

11 hours ago, -Hope- said:

that means we'll have to give tanny a contract, tho.....although honestly that could be more manageable than what we'd need to give henry at this point.

I think we franchise tag Tannehill and transition Henry, tell him to go out and find the best contract he possibly can, and we’ll match it. I think he’s far more valuable to us than he would be to any other franchise.

11 hours ago, TitanSS said:

That's why I think franchising him and paying him after next season could be a good move. If he's breaking these records again next season, good for us, pay him. If he's not, good for us, get him on a cheaper deal.

It's kind of a **** move, but it makes more sense than giving a RB 15 mil that hasn't been totally consistent and wasn't this player until about week 10 or w/e of last season. 

Franchising him with the intent of resigning him a year later only pushes the guaranteed money a year later. Now we're looking at significant dead hits closer to his age 30 year. 

If he's willing to work with us, be reasonable, etc... And he certainly seems the kind of player that would do that and won't fight for every last dollar, it just makes sense to wrap him up now. 

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Franchising him with the intent of resigning him a year later only pushes the guaranteed money a year later. Now we're looking at significant dead hits closer to his age 30 year. 

If he's willing to work with us, be reasonable, etc... And he certainly seems the kind of player that would do that and won't fight for every last dollar, it just makes sense to wrap him up now. 

It does, but if we're paying him now we're absolutely making him the highest paid RB in the league. There's a chance this high isn't reproduced. I'm not worried about cutting him. I don't think we're going to pay him and then he all the sudden sucks. My issue isn't worrying about him regressing, it's that when you pay a position that has been replaceable over the last 20 years 15m + a year you're basically costing yourself a top pass rusher or corner, which is nowhere near replaceable.

I've always thought we will pay him, not because I am in favor of paying RBs over 10m (let alone over 15m), but from an emotional and PR standpoint. I also agree that we won't franchise him even though I mentioned I could see it being a better option. As someone mentioned, it sends the wrong message to the team. The tag on RBs also has a negative connotation after the Leveon Bell fiasco.

I absolutely love Derrick Henry, he does everything you could possibly ask of someone to get paid. I do not want him on another team. It's just very hard to cope with tying up 40-45m of a 200m cap (2 players combining for over 20% of the cap for the entire roster) on Ryan Tannehill and a RB in 2020. I don't think we're in a position to do anything else, but certainly could see it having a negative impact in the future.

Edited by TitanSS

I also think Mike Vrabel absolutely loves Henry. From what we've heard in media reports Henry absolutely works his *** off in the gym and in conditioning, and it makes sense because you don't become a 250 lb RB in the 97% percentile for speed at that size by sheer luck. By all accounts he has earned everything and deserves everything and he should get everything.

Another dude I really think Vrabel likes is Jonnu Smith. I think he has a strong emotional bond with some of the dudes on this team.

• Like 1

First of all, I have to mention that I love ET. He's very likely my favorite current non-Titan, non-Giant NFL player. Even so, I was glad everyone got together to use his own remarks as a pre-game motivator, and I am sure glad for that stiff arm moment that will, undoubtedly, live forever. And there's absolutely no question that none of that happens if there's no Henry. He gives us an identity, one that has offered us some unforgivable moments throughout the years, and has helped turn this franchise around into what it currently is. I have no doubt we could find a suitable replacement that could come close in terms of production for a fraction of what he'll cost us, but none of the guys we could find will ever come close to replacing him as our whole team identity, and that's something I'm not willing to give up on. Especially not when that identity has carried us to an AFC Championship game.

And for what it's worth, this is coming from someone who although liked him personally, thought for as long as possible that he will never really work out in the NFL.

I agree that running the ball isn't the most efficient way to play offense, but I do think this is the way Vrabel wants to play right now and I don't think there's any chance we let him go, despite what is best in terms of long-term sustained success. There is an emotional component to it as well, for fans and the players.

I do, however, agree that giving him the long-term contract, averaging over 15m, is probably going to have a negative impact on our long-term success as it impacts who we can bring in as free agents. Our offense was better the last half of the season because of Ryan Tannehill and we've won playoff games and been able to just run the crap out of Henry because of our defense. Henry is a beast of a back, no doubt, but it's about what positions you invest in to have long-term offensive success, and he's a running back and it's not 1999 anymore. Hopefully I'm wrong and the NFL is cyclical and this way of playing become viable once more as teams get smaller and smaller defenders, but I don't think that's the case. I think it's just a cool narrative for media.

Someone a few pages back mentioned me being against having weapons; I'm not. WR and RB aren't the same position and I think you need WRs.

Edited by TitanSS