Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dtait93

King Henry Appreciation Thread.

Recommended Posts

I'm okay with paying him up to 10-12 mil a year given we aren't going to be throwing big bucks at Mariota. We just need better coaching on offense, but he can be a top 5 back in the league, and a true bellcow, which isn't something you see a lot of.

Cut Lewis, throw his salary to Henry's and come to some agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have to find a way to resign him. Especially with where our offense is currently at with Tannehill and more than likely a rookie QB coming down the pipe we need the offense to be centered around Derrick going forward. RB or not he's the best player on our offense. Not to mention he doesn't have as much tread on his tires as a lot of RBs, because he had basically those two redshirt years with DeMarco here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I want him back sure, not for 10-12 million. 

i just don't have a great idea of how that will affect our ability to re-sign other players. we've got jayon and logan ryan coming up, but we also can assume we won't be spending big on QB for awhile- no idea how that all balances out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

I think we have to find a way to resign him. Especially with where our offense is currently at with Tannehill and more than likely a rookie QB coming down the pipe we need the offense to be centered around Derrick going forward. RB or not he's the best player on our offense. Not to mention he doesn't have as much tread on his tires as a lot of RBs, because he had basically those two redshirt years with DeMarco here. 

Add to that he basically split carries with Dion last year and he’s a literally a physical specimen...I’m not worried about him wearing down any time soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really torn by it. He’s still only 25, he has under 700 carries in his career (for comparison, CJ had 1,187 carries through four years), and he’s now proven to be the back he looked like to close last year. He’s also a running back that’s not a particularly good pass blocker and is a below average receiver. That’s tough to fully commit to.

When you factor in the assumed release of Dion and $23 million in cap rollover, we are sitting at $75 million in cap room. Even if you want to resign Tannehill and assume it will be $15-20 million, there’s still not much of a concern with being able to resign everyone.

Logan Ryan is the top priority for this upcoming group of free agents. Beyond that is Conklin. Then there’s a few guys that could be retained, but shouldn’t be all that pricey.

So yeah, I’d resign Derrick. If Leveon Bell is getting a contract that is easy to get out of after two years, I’m sure Henry would as well. 

If I thought a Henry contract would hamstring us at all, I’d be out, but the cap just isn’t a big concern the next couple years. Jayon will probably get paid. Adoree and CD haven’t lit the world on fire and aren’t in line for serious money. And then every other player of real significance has either been paid, is getting older, or has time left on their rookie deals.

Note: This post ended up way longer than intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know people are suspect about paying runningbacks but I would pay this one. This is the type you keep around and being only 25 with that physique he'd be more likely to age gracefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say this much.  My thoughts change slightly if we're going young at QB and won't have a big contract at that position.  If you sign a stop-gap (Tanny) to a 3 year modest deal and draft a QB, I could see giving Henry a similar 3 year deal.  That would allow us to compete for the playoffs with this defense for the near term.

Of course if Brady is coming next year, adios Henry.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I'll say this much.  My thoughts change slightly if we're going young at QB and won't have a big contract at that position.  If you sign a stop-gap (Tanny) to a 3 year modest deal and draft a QB, I could see giving Henry a similar 3 year deal.  That would allow us to compete for the playoffs with this defense for the near term.

Of course if Brady is coming next year, adios Henry.  :D

I mean I think it's quite close to the opposite, unless they have some other plan for RB. If Brady is here I want the best RB to stay on the team, Henry is definitely that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I mean I think it's quite close to the opposite, unless they have some other plan for RB. If Brady is here I want the best RB to stay on the team, Henry is definitely that.

Sure, I want the best of everything at every position too.  But can we afford $30M for Brady and $15M for Henry?  Who do we lose because of those two numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Sure, I want the best of everything at every position too.  But can we afford $30M for Brady and $15M for Henry?  Who do we lose because of those two numbers?

Well from what I heard we're going to have 75m in cap room, so yeah I'd assume we can do that if need be. The point is, if you're going after Tom Brady next year, you aren't just signing Tom Brady, if you do, that's a good way to waste Tom Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

Well from what I heard we're going to have 75m in cap room, so yeah I'd assume we can do that if need be. The point is, if you're going after Tom Brady next year, you aren't just signing Tom Brady, if you do, that's a good way to waste Tom Brady.

I get your point.  I just don't think Henry is the best way to maximize Brady's value.  I also don't know who else is coming up for another contract (Ryan, for instance) but sinking more than half of our expected cap space into two players doesn't seem wise to me.  Brady excels with quick pass-catching RBs anyway.  Re-sign Lewis and watch him come back to life in that style of offense.

I like Henry - I really do.  I just think his big games are pricing us out of the market for his next deal.  Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sign Brady and that means we’re going all in for at least two seasons. However, we can go cheap at RB considering any RB looks good with Brady. Love Henry, but we’d have to move on if we sign Brady a and invest a lot more at other positions such as pass-rusher, CB(resigning Ryan), WR, and OL.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dtait93 said:

It’s gonna be hilarious letting a known special commodity in Henry walk only to draft another Bishop Stanley.

That's exactly what we would deserve to happen. Everyone thinks we can just find any ol back in the late rounds to step in and contribute. Smh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×