This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

On 8/8/2019 at 11:54 AM, Uffdaswede said:

I saw Dire Straits after they released their first album after “Sultans of Swing”.

Partway through, Knoffler sat down, took the spotlight, and began to noodle through a very understated, slow, jazzy solo. The Milwaukee crowd grew restless and began to catcall and yell out requests and stuff. It was really sad to witness such a disconnect between artist and audience. 

Was that the '79 show they did at The Palms ?

logo_3.png?itok=IPvqNAvF

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Was that the '79 show they did at The Palms ?

logo_3.png?itok=IPvqNAvF

Must be...I was at UW-M in ‘79.

Were you there?

I thought it was a pretty large venue, though. It wasn’t really nightclubby. 

Looking back at their discography I think it was their Communiqúe tour. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, thrILL! said:

Mumble rap is the worst. Biggie & 2pac didn’t die for this.  

Blame Monch and Doom for deciding good rap wasn't for the mainstream back in the 2000's. The value of vox in music in general was on the decline as it was, coming off an era that reduced most songs down to just a hook, but then rap became all about your beat (read: producer) and your flow as time went on. Also Erykah Badu and the rumpus of madness destroying careers didn't help. Andre 3000, Common, Jay Electronica, Lupe Fiasco, and she almost took out Kendrick Lamar.

Side note: I'm happy for Chance and where he is. Some of the most real anybody in mainstream rap is talking, and brand safe content will make him all of the money from advertising deals.

Edited by HyponGrey

On 09/08/2019 at 9:48 PM, incognito_man said:

where does Tangerine fall in your tiers

I have been a real fan of Tangerine Dream's 'Ricochet' album since for over 40 years, and I also played Force Majeure quite a bit, but didn't explore T.Dream fully, after hearing some of their (to me) poor quality later albums like Tyger, White Eagle and Thief which I never liked that much. It took me time to discover the outstanding quality of Stratosfear and Phaedra. Other albums like Rubycon, Tangram, Hyperborea, Cyclone and Logos were well worth taking the time to listen to. Zeit is, well, different. More experimental, less rhythmic, but fascinating, more like meditation-enhancement than music. Many (including me) think their early years on the Virgin label were their best works (1974-1983). Zeit was earlier (1972). Atem is not dissimilar to Zeit (though not as good imo), neither are for those that like their stuff more musical and less soundscape. T.Dream have released more than a hundred albums (studio and live), singles and EPs, so sorting through that lot is a mammoth task.

There is a slow dreaminess to much of their music which might run a little slow for the younger adrenaline junkies out there. If I were religious I'd describe T.Dream as having a strong spiritual quality, but I'm not, so I find it difficult to encapsulate what they are. Perhaps you can describe their best efforts as eating an exquisite meal cooked by a masterchef, after weeks of poor quality junk food. You just sink into their music until you are a part of it yourself, or it is a part of you. Throw away all of those 100+ CDs mis-titled "Now That's What I Call Music" and attach that title to these albums, ones that actually deserve it.

T.Dream at their best, are as good as anything around,  as different as you can get from Zeppelin (who I also love) or say, Queen, but at least as good in a very different way. They are about as far away as you can get from being in the 'forgettable category', where @Outpost31 mis-filed them (this is assuming you were talking about Tangerine Dream, and not something else). 

I do believe mood of the moment has a big influence on how you view tracks. How else do you explain passing by on tracks you just love later in life. Catch a great song in the wrong mood and you miss it, whether it is hearing something slow and dreamy when you are amped up and want power chords, or hearing the fast and furious when you want slow and dreamy.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

11 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Also Erykah Badu and the rumpus of madness destroying careers didn't help. Andre 3000, Common, Jay Electronica, Lupe Fiasco, and she almost took out Kendrick Lamar.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this.  Andre was wearing Atlanta Braves gear in his early videos. After dating Badu, he started wearing weird outfits like dresses. LoL

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I thought I was the only one who noticed this.  Andre was wearing Atlanta Braves gear in his early videos. After dating Badu, he started wearing weird outfits like dresses. LoL

Dating? Dude, they have kids.

Common got really into scarves.

Jay Electronica quit music, turned Jewish, and started wearing a fez.

Lupe quit music, went to Africa, and came back with dreads.

Edited by HyponGrey

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Sports talk media is OBSESSED with Dak Prescott....and pretty much all things Dallas....but this Prescott "Is he worth it or not?" debate is never ending.

He's not, for the record, but I hope he gets paid like he is! 

Edited by Golfman

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Sports talk media is OBSESSED with Dak Prescott....and pretty much all things Dallas....but this Prescott "Is he worth it or not?" debate is never ending.

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

He's not, for the record, but I hope he gets paid like he is! 

Feel the same way.

I hope he gets 30M plus from them.

Just now, Golfman said:

He's not for the record! 

I agree for what thats worth. I dont think he's proven himself an elite QB yet and I'm already on record as being against the ever and ongoing "raises" players are getting based on positional values and less their actual on the field production.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I agree for what thats worth. I dont think he's proven himself an elite QB yet and I'm already on record as being against the ever and ongoing "raises" players are getting based on positional values and less their actual on the field production.

Agree, but the QB position is the most important position in all of sports. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Agree, but the QB position is the most important position in all of sports. 

Fine and I'm not going down this rabbit hole again. Already said that if a players stats have "flat lined" I see no reason they should pull down ever more in salary. The position's only as "important" as the stats produced by the players manning it.