Jump to content
CWood21

This Aint Packers Talk v69

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Look to the right of the subforum...it says how many posts have been made.  I'm guessing you're on mobile?

Ah okay. Yeah I am and I straight bookmark to the GB forum so I jump right in and leaving here anymore is terrifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Webby has left it up to our discrection about locking threads at 100 pages...do you guys want to stay on TAPT 69 permanently, or do you want to lock up threads at 100?  I'll leave it up to you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Also, Webby has left it up to our discrection about locking threads at 100 pages...do you guys want to stay on TAPT 69 permanently, or do you want to lock up threads at 100?  I'll leave it up to you guys.

Proposed...

After100 pp we need a mechanism for letting it roll if it's rollworthy and moving to TAPT 70 as soon as it gets lame. Maybe lame is defined as 12 hours without a new post. Maybe lame is defined as any poster having the right to post --after 100pp, mind you--"LAME!" Followed, by rule, with two more consecutive declarations of "LAME!" In order to /thread.

•obviously it takes three posts by three different posters to end the thread.

••Perhaps the /thread could be motivated by not just a run of lame stuff. Maybe  after 100 pp someone posts something so good that /thread is like dropping the mic.

Edited by blueswedeshoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GoT is good, but ASOIF is better.

 

Since it is still new, I will put the GOT response in white as well...

There have been instances where travel times were odd in the show.  Thus far, I don't think that is true of this season.  Between episodes 2 and 3 these things happen:  Bran and Meera travel from The Wall to Winterfell.  Jon and Davos travel from Winterfell to Dragonstone.  Jaime and Randall Tarly travel from King's Landing to Casterly Rock and then to High Garden. The Unsullied travel from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock.  Euron travels from [somewhere near King's Landing] back to King's Landing, and then to Casterly Rock.

When Jon and Tyrion travel to The Wall in Book/Season 1, they are riding hard and it takes about 3 weeks.  Most calculations I've seen say that trip normally would take 6 weeks given ~20 miles per day of travel, which is typical of the technology presented.  Why does that matter? Because it gives a time frame for all of these other journeys to begin, as it would take Bran and Meera at least 6 weeks.  We do know that Jon has been resurrected and left The Wall before Bran arrives, and that he leaves Winterfell before Bran arrives there.  If we allow Bran to leave The Wall at roughly the same time Jon leaves Winterfell, it gives enough time for the rest of the events to happen.  Jon and Davos are meeting with Daenerys when Varys arrives to inform her of the first Iron Fleet attack.  We know this happens before Jon arrives, but not how much before, but it does give Euron some time to move a bit.  If we give Euron a bit of an advantage on the seas, he could possibly catch up to the Unsullied.  The biggest travel problem I have is the Lannister Army getting to Highgarden with Jaime leading.  He has to make the trip to Casterly Rock, then move with an army to Highgarden at the same time Randall Tarley has to get to Horn Hill and then to Highgarden.  They probably sent word, and had lieutenants marshaling the forces, but they were really moving.

My biggest gripe is that NO ONE sends scouts on this show.  An army shouldn't surprise you, neither should an armada.

TL;DR the episode took over a month of in world time, it is just really difficult to portray this on a television show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

GoT is good, but ASOIF is better.

 

Since it is still new, I will put the GOT response in white as well...

There have been instances where travel times were odd in the show.  Thus far, I don't think that is true of this season.  Between episodes 2 and 3 these things happen:  Bran and Meera travel from The Wall to Winterfell.  Jon and Davos travel from Winterfell to Dragonstone.  Jaime and Randall Tarly travel from King's Landing to Casterly Rock and then to High Garden. The Unsullied travel from Dragonstone to Casterly Rock.  Euron travels from [somewhere near King's Landing] back to King's Landing, and then to Casterly Rock.

When Jon and Tyrion travel to The Wall in Book/Season 1, they are riding hard and it takes about 3 weeks.  Most calculations I've seen say that trip normally would take 6 weeks given ~20 miles per day of travel, which is typical of the technology presented.  Why does that matter? Because it gives a time frame for all of these other journeys to begin, as it would take Bran and Meera at least 6 weeks.  We do know that Jon has been resurrected and left The Wall before Bran arrives, and that he leaves Winterfell before Bran arrives there.  If we allow Bran to leave The Wall at roughly the same time Jon leaves Winterfell, it gives enough time for the rest of the events to happen.  Jon and Davos are meeting with Daenerys when Varys arrives to inform her of the first Iron Fleet attack.  We know this happens before Jon arrives, but not how much before, but it does give Euron some time to move a bit.  If we give Euron a bit of an advantage on the seas, he could possibly catch up to the Unsullied.  The biggest travel problem I have is the Lannister Army getting to Highgarden with Jaime leading.  He has to make the trip to Casterly Rock, then move with an army to Highgarden at the same time Randall Tarley has to get to Horn Hill and then to Highgarden.  They probably sent word, and had lieutenants marshaling the forces, but they were really moving.

My biggest gripe is that NO ONE sends scouts on this show.  An army shouldn't surprise you, neither should an armada.

TL;DR the episode took over a month of in world time, it is just really difficult to portray this on a television show.

 

Still doesn't answer probably my biggest gripe:

When did the iron islands turn into a freaking power house? These were the idiots that Ned Stark kept locked in his basement and basically paid 1% attention to. Based on all estimates of what the iron islands were, they now have a ship for every fighting man on the islands. In the meantime, they also got their *** kicked by Ramsey and had their best ships stolen. They also built these fleets with (mind you with basically no timber on their island) in like a month.

This seems like extremely clumsy story telling to me. The writers followed the plans laid out in the books and notes, realized how laughably unfair the sides were in the Dany/Ceresi fight and needed some plot device to even the sides. Hence Euron is now basically Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean. And the Lanisters were somehow able to abandon their capital city and move their army halfway across the continent along the busiest road in the continent and still somehow catch everyone unaware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, CWood21 said:

Also, Webby has left it up to our discrection about locking threads at 100 pages...do you guys want to stay on TAPT 69 permanently, or do you want to lock up threads at 100?  I'll leave it up to you guys.

I have problem with locking it after 100.   It worked just fine at the old haunt.

 

I see I didn't say that right -- I have NO problem....  :$

Edited by Pugger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

2 Questions:

1. Anybody ever bought a condo?

2. Is there a spoiler tag? We need to get some Game of Thrones talk going in this place.

 

 

Not a condo, but I just closed on a house a month or two ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

2 Questions:

1. Anybody ever bought a condo?

2. Is there a spoiler tag? We need to get some Game of Thrones talk going in this place.

 

 

1) I'm renting one right now. Maybe I can help?

2) Spoiler: changing colors????? ****s going to go down in EP4. Didn't see the hacked whatnot/spoilers but it's coming and my body is ready

Edited by ugLymayNe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's football season so I'll be back

R0FVjnc.jpg

since the draft I:

Got married

Been house hunting with little to no luck

went fishing only once

drank a lot of Crown Royal (Any of you try that hand crafted barrel? If you see it...totally worth)

Edited by ugLymayNe
stupid is stupid does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More complaints about time passage in GoT.  It's one thing to write chapters about time passage.  You can get into the mindset of the characters.  That doesn't work in a show.  You aren't about to have a time lapse of Jon Snow rowing his boat to Dragonstone or show an inner monologue the whole time Arya is traveling from place to place.  You need to suspend disbelief a little bit.  Actually... No you don't.  You have to use your imagination muscles to get to a point where you can understand that the show doesn't show everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading through the favorite movie section of the introduction thread was a whirlwind of emotions.  Made a mental note to not judge @persiandud too harshly for his views on the Packers considering his solid taste in movies, but... I won't mention names... Yeah I will.  @Csraverage... How do you sleep at night?

Half of the movies were acceptable favorite movies.  The other half... And I'm counting those of you who can't pick one. 

Edited by HorizontoZenith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This new quoting system still confuses the hell out of me. How do I do a multiquote things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

JBURGE is the most important Packers forum poster

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

obviously

but how do i make it stack like before

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:
19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

JBURGE is the most important Packers forum poster

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

obviously

but how do i make it stack like before

you mean like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×