Offseason Work to do

mwalker

20 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If Cush or Ruiz aren’t there I’d agree.

I'm with the idea of sliding fieler to LG 

And letting Banner / Chuks battle it out for the RT

Have to see if any of those 2 are worth it long term before it's too late

I’m fully behind taking an IOL this year because of what limited practice time has done to this position specifically. It takes time to develop an IOL and if we could get a guy with C ability, it’s a great opportunity to have someone that could start in year 3 post Pouncey. The new CBA takes way even more practice and padded practices than the last did, so I expect development of OL to take an even bigger step back league wide. 

OL is the a position I really want to take talent and allow development. I think we are in a great position to do that this year with IOL and next year with LT. 

I really wouldn’t be shocked if it happens at this point. We have the cap room to do it. Jameis value is at an all-time low and I think he’d take a 3-5 mill per year for a good situation like Pittsburgh. Other non-rookie deal QBs between 3-5 mill: AJ Mccarron, Chase Daniel, Taysum Hill, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor.

Now that only reason I’d be against it is how Ben would take it. Remember his reaction to us using a 3rd on Mason? Signing Jameis surely wouldn’t make him happy. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

55 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I really wouldn’t be shocked if it happens at this point. We have the cap room to do it. Jameis value is at an all-time low and I think he’d take a 3-5 mill per year for a good situation like Pittsburgh. Other non-rookie deal QBs between 3-5 mill: AJ Mccarron, Chase Daniel, Taysum Hill, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Tyrod Taylor.

Now that only reason I’d be against it is how Ben would take it. Remember his reaction to us using a 3rd on Mason? Signing Jameis surely wouldn’t make him happy. 

Ben is 38, coming off a serious injury.

If he doesnt like it, he can request his release next offseason.  We need an insurance policy, and while Im not huge on Winston, he would give us a better chance than any backup we have if Ben goes down again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Of that list, I would be on board the Taysom Hill train.

Gimmick guy, ST ace, QB in a pinch.  I love what NO did with that guy, and I think we could be real creative with him as well.

Not a Jamies fan in any way... not his play, his style, his 'leadership', or him as a person.  I've not liked him since his FSU days.  He would cause problems in the lockerrom, and the first sign of struggles with Ben, he would be angling to play.  Plus, it would really show that we are out on Rudolph.  That would signal that we wasted a 3rd.

All that being said, I would take Hill in a second.

I’d trade our 3rd for Fitzpatrick in a heartbeat.

Overpay yes....but if Ben goes down the season is over folks...with Fitzpatrick there is still a chance.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

While I am here, any thought to us signing a safety??  I mean, we almost have to, although I am looking at the market and I am not seeing anyone that makes me feel good as #3.  Vonn Bell and Damarious Randall are SS, T. Jefferson is a box safety, Boston we seem to be out on for some reason (we could have had him last year), Tavon Wilson and Reshad Jones are on the wrong side of 30.  Eric Reid has too much baggage for our FO, and eveyone else is lower tier or ST guys like Dangerfield.  Except Morgan Burnett, but...

I know we could always trade, but those are the FA.  I cannot imagine the FO is OK with Marcus Allen and Dangerfield as the only safety options other than Edmunds and Minkah.  Of anyone, I would love Reshad Jones on a cheap deal as a pure FS, but I don't think our FO is keen on a 32 year old safety.

3 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Of that list, I would be on board the Taysom Hill train.

Gimmick guy, ST ace, QB in a pinch.  I love what NO did with that guy, and I think we could be real creative with him as well.

Not a Jamies fan in any way... not his play, his style, his 'leadership', or him as a person.  I've not liked him since his FSU days.  He would cause problems in the lockerrom, and the first sign of struggles with Ben, he would be angling to play.  Plus, it would really show that we are out on Rudolph.  That would signal that we wasted a 3rd.

All that being said, I would take Hill in a second.

Hill isn’t available unless we give up a 2nd round pick, I was just comparing other QBs that would be around that salary.

Say what you want about his leadership, but where are you getting that he would cause problems in the locker room? He made some stupid immature mistakes in college but has been clean as a whistle since he stepped foot in the NFL and is loved by FSU and Tampa fans, even after throwing 30 ints. He has never once been accused of being a bad teammate or not being a leader. Are you forgetting that he led a team loaded with future NFL starters to a national championship as a redshirt freshman?

I see your point within “sunk cost fallacy” with Rudolph but I don’t think that would stop Colbert from making a move. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Hill isn’t available unless we give up a 2nd round pick, I was just comparing other QBs that would be around that salary.

Say what you want about his leadership, but where are you getting that he would cause problems in the locker room? He made some stupid immature mistakes in college but has been clean as a whistle since he stepped foot in the NFL and is loved by FSU and Tampa fans, even after throwing 30 ints. He has never once been accused of being a bad teammate or not being a leader. Are you forgetting that he led a team loaded with future NFL starters to a national championship as a redshirt freshman?

I see your point within “sunk cost fallacy” with Rudolph but I don’t think that would stop Colbert from making a move. 

That sucks... you got my hopes up for nothing... lol

Nothing at all... FSU days and the Hard Knocks I watched where he was featured prominently and was way to rah-rah for me.

The childishness and immaturity, not to mention the other off the field stuff that I am not going to rehash involving interactions with females.  I know he might be a changed person, I get it.  I need to give him the benefit of the doubt, giving our QB and that we had Vick when he got out of jail.  It seems like a move that we would make.

Other than giving up on Rudolph... 

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’d trade our 3rd for Fitzpatrick in a heartbeat.

Overpay yes....but if Ben goes down the season is over folks...with Fitzpatrick there is still a chance.

Fitzpatrick is Jameis without the arm talent but a higher football IQ

Overconfident gunslinger who goes boom/bust.

Give me the one with the arm talent.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 6:21 PM, bigben07MVP said:

Kind of crazy that with just a few subtle moves, we have no more glaring needs on the roster. Update on team needs list

1. NT

2. OG

3. Safety depth

4. Edge

5. ILB depth

Did a quick mock draft on TDN simulator, let me know what you guys think. 

#49 Second Round - Cam Akers, RB Florida State

#102 Third Round - K’Von Wallace, S/ILB Clemson

#124 Fourth Round - Leki Fotu, NT Utah

#135 Fourth Round - Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia

#198 Sixth Round - Trevon Hill, Edge Miami

#232 Binjimin Victor, WR Ohio State

Our free agent signings and trade for Wormley allows us to take a luxury pick and get a game changing RB like Akers. My comp for him is Kareem Hunt.

We get a versatile, hard hitting chess piece type with a good football pedigree in K’Von Wallace.

Fotu and Kindley are both huge mammoths to sure up the trenches on both sides. 

Hill and Victor are both naturally talented projects that can improve on the practice squad for a season or two.

Pretty solid mock and I like your board. I just think that safety depth has to be up at #1 or #2. No doubt that the signing doesn't make the team reach and they should be able to stick to their board and fill holes/depth regardless of whether it is second, third or fourth round. 

✌
On 3/20/2020 at 6:43 PM, kurgan said:

I am of the impression that S is our biggest need right now.  There is NOTHING behind Minkah and Edmunds, and we LOVE 3 safety looks.  More specifcally, I think we need a FS type (Jessie Bates) than box safety since we want to move Minkah around more, and Edmunds is OK at 2 high.

My sentiments exactly.  I am also not opposed to letting Edmunds take over some of Barron's role.  However, to do that, they need some safety help.

😒
On 3/21/2020 at 1:48 AM, Displayname said:

in a division with Chubb/Hunt, Mixon/Gio, and Jackson/Ingram/Edwards/Hill. Our biggest needs are run support positions on offense and defense. Ironically, both were the worst on either side. EDIT: Add Elliott(cowboys), Barkley(Giants), Fournette(Jags), and Henry(Titans) to our Schedule this year.

Again we are kinda saying toe-ma-toe or ta-ma-toe.  No doubt the team needs help at safety and we need to be able to stop the run on early downs.  the Bills, the Ravens, Colts, Seahawks, 49'ers, and Browns all had some success running against the Steelers.  No doubt this area has to improve. Now, how and when that's addressed won't matter as much now. The important thing is that they do fill the holes. 

On 3/21/2020 at 5:45 PM, wwhickok said:

Yeah right now I'd assume Ebron will cancel out Hargrave, 

I don't think they will anyway near cancel each other out. Hargrave's got bigger money and was a higher ranked player as well. I know the formula is complicated, but those two alone: player for player shouldn't cancel each other out.  

😐
On 3/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, Cbrunn said:

I'm all in on Antoine Winfield Jr if he's there in the 2nd

Backup saftey and is a chess piece and playmaker , Fitzpatrick and Winfield Jr is a playmaking duo

Drop Edmunds into the Barron role

I think he could rotate in here. However, to do that, they need depth.  While Dugger and Chinn are bigger SS types in the mold of Edmunds, I think both "maybe "a little better at pass coverage on the next level as they seem to be more natural football players at the position. I don't think that they would have to get strictly a pure FS.  It would be nice, but those two bring some good things to the table as well as Winfield. 

On 3/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, Cbrunn said:

I'm with the idea of sliding fieler to LG  And letting Banner / Chuks battle it out for the RT Have to see if any of those 2 are worth it long term before it's too late

I get it, but I almost hate moving a solid player from one position to another.  Feiler is a very solid all-around RT. I see Chuks and Zach struggling in pass coverage.  You want to get the best five guys upfront playing together.

👔

20 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Different situation. The Steelers needed some defensive help and he thought that would have been better than investing in a rookie QB. One similarity is that Ben was trying to get the Steelers to win now! I think Ben knows that this is his team and that Jameis would not beat him out. Remember he also had two other former starters in Batch and Lefwhich behind him too. Jameis would be more of a threat to Mason.

19 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

No thank you to Flacco

I disagree. I wouldn't mind Joe at all. He can play well enough, support Ben with another set of veteran QB eyes and more importantly would understand his role.  We are a play-off team with Flacco at QB and our defense in 2019.  Our 8-8 would have been more like 10 - 6 or 11-5 (beat 49'ers, Bills and Jets with Flacco). He's the typical Steelers type of signing: Batch, Lefwhich, Gradkowski. Problem is that I think Joe believes that he should and can start. 

I am probably in the minority of thinking here, but I wish they would have signed Vannett.  I know that they only invested a fifth-round pick for him, but he seems like he had an upside.  Ebron can be anywhere from fair to very good (as a receiver).  He pairs well with Vance in the passing game, but not a huge fan of his run blocking.  Vannett looked like he could become McDonald in our offense. They went for the better receiver, but I think Vannett could be the better overall TE.  I get it though, Ebron can really help jumpstart the offense and teaming him with Vance could be a pretty solid duo. Oh well, I will miss Vannett and wish him the best.  I think he was under-appreciated here in Pittsburgh because he didn't get to play with Ben. 

Random thought but the AFC should be pretty weak/wide open next year. As it stands today, the Chiefs and Ravens are the only “locks” to make the playoffs. Everything after those two is completely wide open.

Lets see how the Titans run it back. I don’t really trust Tannehill over 16+ games. I think they will regret that contract.

Texans will be weaker without D Hop

Bills should be much improved but they still have Josh Allen at QB, they don’t scare me

Chargers have a really good roster but no QB and they never stay healthy and their coach sucks

Colts with Rivers, meh. His O-Line will be better but I’m not impressed with his weapons in Indy and he looked cooked last year 

Raiders could be a sneaky team but it’s still Derek Carr leading the charge.

All homerism aside, I’d say we are easily the 3rd best team in the AFC if I had to submit rankings today.

• Like 2