GDT - Week 14. Operation Rebound.

Hunter2_1

2 years ago;

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/10/2/16401704/patriots-expected-jerome-boger-to-call-more-penalties-on-them-than-on-the-panthers

Patriots expected Jerome Boger to call more penalties on them than on the Panthers

The New England Patriots are not going to blame their loss at the hands of the officials. They know they didn’t accomplish what they needed to in order to avoid letting one or two calls affect the outcome of the game. They also knew that head referee Jerome Boger was going to flag the Patriots whenever he could.

“From previous [games], that crew has called much more penalties on us than the other team,” Patriots QB Tom Brady said on WEEI. “We have to figure out how to play and tighten it up. If we don’t get the calls, we don’t get them. We still have to go out and play better than we played.”

And if you look at the past two games, that Boger has called with the Patriots, Brady’s not wrong. In 2014, Boger was the referee for the famous “We’re on to Cincinnati” game where he flagged the Patriots 12 times for 114 yards and the Bengals just 4 times for 37 yards. Boger also called the game between the Patriots and Rams in 2016 and called 8 penalties against the Patriots versus just 4 for Los Angeles. On Sunday, Boger flagged the Patriots 7 times and the Panthers only once.

So over the past three games with Boger, the Patriots have been penalized three-times more than their opponent (27 to 9). Boger is actually responsible for penalizing the home team at a rate far above the league average and calling multiple penalties more than average per game.

Man don't like us.

Edited by Hunter2_1

10 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

No idea why they don't have multiple plays in every game to get him the ball in space, he knows how to navigate and really tough to bring down 1 on 1. Even if he doesn't have the nuances down yet, just play him a bit like CP last year for now.

Somewhat related note, I hope they rest Sanu next week. He's clearly not 100% and as we saw in the Baltimore game when he's healthy Brady will look his way and he can get the job done. Less a matter of reps with him and more getting the ankle right, the other guys need to get it together. Dorsett should be benched, he was beyond a non-factor today.

Agreed on both points. The play Harry was robbed on is exactly how he should be used (vs the slant Roby INT). Get him the ball in space, he's a monster after the catch. 

Tough loss, but I like the way the team competed. It's a shame we were robbed of two TD's. But this was a horribly officiated game all around. I hope we never have to see Booger's crew ever again.

This defense is so special. The secondary balled all night, especially in the second half when adjustments were made. It's a shame that this offense could waste such a special defense. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Color me unsympathetic to the Patriots finally ending up on the short end of a call. After a bazillion no calls go in their favor. Karma.

are you serious? The Patriots got screwed by refs for a long, long time. People just don't care about that and only pay attention to the other calls.

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Color me unsympathetic to the Patriots finally ending up on the short end of a call. After a bazillion no calls go in their favor. Karma.

Even if there was some grand conspiracy to benefit New England, that does not excuse the officials failing to do their job properly. Even the most ardent New England hater would admit that at no point was N'Keal Harry out of bounds on the touchdown.

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, who are the good teams we've played? 

Ravens, Bills, Texans, Chiefs and maybe ....Eagles or Cowboys? Let's just add one of them.

2-3!

Steelers are 8-5 with some guy named Duck playing QB you have to imagine their season would be going even better if Ben hadnt hurt himself. 

We beat them 33-3 week 1, that's a pretty impressive win. 

Of course that was before Devlin and Ghostkowski got hurt and back when Gordon was still on the team (self inflicted tbh).

I'd argue thats what this team would consistently look like if the offense had a couple more good weapons .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mission27 said:

Can someone explain to me why the first challenge wasn’t successful? 

I understand there was no PI and that it was too close to overturn the first down.  But, the ball spot was very clearly wrong by at least a yard.  Why is that not a successful challenge with the ball moved back a yard or two, and the Pats keeping their timeout and challenge? 

It's the way the league structured the rules for challenges. In that situation the Pats could only challenge "first down or no first down" and not where the officials marked him down. The spot of the ball only becomes relevant if the replay determines it wasn't a first down. It's kinda dumb but the idea as far as I can tell was to cut down on coaches challenging over a couple of feet or inches unless a first down was on the line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

That kind of leeway benefits the Belichick coached teams a lot more than, say, the Freddie Kitchens coached teams.

Which in this rare instance Belichick challenged like a Freddie Kitchens.

Edit: I would give the coaches a third challenge. Why not.

Edited by DoleINGout