2017-18 Offseason Talk

Glen

14 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I mean he played better on wins than losses.. That's an arbitrary stat.. Cuz if that's the case Anthony Davis and Boogy

are super scrubs. 

It's not arbitrary.  I asked you a question.  A question you still haven't answered.

You said Towns was MVP caliber.  MVP's lead their teams to wins, not just post individual stats.

42 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's not arbitrary.  I asked you a question.  A question you still haven't answered.

You said Towns was MVP caliber.  MVP's lead their teams to wins, not just post individual stats.

I said his stats were and they are 

3 hours ago, showtime said:

That would have been fine to say before Westbrook won MVP.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Two things:  1.  Russell Westbrook's season was an aberration.  Averaging a triple-double for an entire season is extremely rare air and that surely helped him win the award.  2.  The Oklahoma City Thunder did not finish the season with a 31-51 record and miss the post-season; however, Karl-Anthony Towns and the Minnesota Timberwolves did.

3 minutes ago, IrishGreen said:

Towns is fine if you don’t value defense whatsoever. Once again, I’m not saying he’s not good, just that you need a very specific roster to build with him. He’s not Anthony Davis. 

Yeah, He's better because he's actually durable.. 

10 hours ago, IrishGreen said:

Towns is fine if you don’t value defense whatsoever. Once again, I’m not saying he’s not good, just that you need a very specific roster to build with him. He’s not Anthony Davis. 

Davis was once not an impactful defender.  If Towns becomes even an average defensive player, then he becomes an elite player.

And offensively you don't need a specific roster built around him at all.

14 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean not like Westbrook didn't lead his team to wins. Dude won 47 games with a bunch of scrubs and 16 more than the TWolves. So Westbrook did both, lead his team to wins and post great individual stats. Maybe not as many wins as past MVPs, but can't even compare the situation to Towns.

Now saying that, I'm confused as well in having to build a specific roster around him. In what way? 

My overall point regarding Towns was when the GM's picked him as the player they would build their team around today.  This is a perimeter oriented driven league.  There is no big man in today's game I would even consider building my team around from scratch if I had the entire pool of players to choose from.  

17 hours ago, showtime said:

My overall point regarding Towns was when the GM's picked him as the player they would build their team around today.  This is a perimeter oriented driven league.  There is no big man in today's game I would even consider building my team around from scratch if I had the entire pool of players to choose from.  

Just goes to show how many GMs are still living in a past era. It’ll be a long time before a big carries a team to a title again. 

Archived