Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

41 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Jackson is a project if there ever was one. There were literally teams that thought he was incapable of playing QB.

And they were wrong. Jackson obviously isn't a project. You were told to ignore the tape with Jackson and that his style of play wouldn't work...a lot of us didn't. He was my QB1 since he won the Heisman.

1 hour ago, jg77 said:

It's more sad that it has to be that for you. Everyone doesn't have to have the same opinion. Sorry that y'all were wrong about Lamar. I'm pretty sure you were right about plenty of other QBs...it's okay.

DISCLAIMER: I'm as big of a lamar jackson fan as there is on this site, and have been since we drafted him.

He was 1000000% a project. He couldn't throw an NFL football last year. His mechanics were awful. His accuracy was awful. People were wrong because they wrote him off entirely last year, thinking he couldn't/wouldn't improve. He did, and he's showing EVERYONE this year that they were wrong about him, but that doesn't change the fact that when we drafted him he was a project QB. Also, if he wasn't a project, why did the Ravens basically redshirt him last year with Joe freaking Flacco at QB?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why doesn't he get credit for bringing in quality players? Isn't that part of his job?

Wasn't my point; My point was literally that he is stretching and absolving Harbaugh of anything negative while attributing anything positive to him. His agenda is clear, and no I don't mean trying to argue Harbaugh is the CoTY. 

2 hours ago, jg77 said:

It's more sad that it has to be that for you. Everyone doesn't have to have the same opinion. Sorry that y'all were wrong about Lamar. I'm pretty sure you were right about plenty of other QBs...it's okay.

I've already eaten crow on Lamar Jackson. I loved his potential as a prospect and was hoping he'd blow up in the NFL. After his rookie season, I didn't think he was going to get much better. I did essentially give up on him prematurely. I'll openly admit that.

...but to act like he was some polished stud coming out of college is hilarious. Go sign in as @RamblinMan99 and like your post real quick, because nobody else is going to agree with you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I've already eaten crow on Lamar Jackson. I loved his potential as a prospect and was hoping he'd blow up in the NFL. After his rookie season, I didn't think he was going to get much better. I did essentially give up on him prematurely. I'll openly admit that.

...but to act like he was some polished stud coming out of college is hilarious. Go sign in as @RamblinMan99 and like your post real quick, because nobody else is going to agree with you.

Agree to disagree. I definitely don't think he was a polished stud but I do think he was the best QB in that draft and I thought he would go #3 to the Jets. He was 6-1 as a rookie so obviously he could play right away 

And that's not me not sure why you keep saying that. I'm pretty sure a mod or something can check that for you.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm as big of a lamar jackson fan as there is on this site, and have been since we drafted him.

He was 1000000% a project. He couldn't throw an NFL football last year. His mechanics were awful. His accuracy was awful. People were wrong because they wrote him off entirely last year, thinking he couldn't/wouldn't improve. He did, and he's showing EVERYONE this year that they were wrong about him, but that doesn't change the fact that when we drafted him he was a project QB. Also, if he wasn't a project, why did the Ravens basically redshirt him last year with Joe freaking Flacco at QB?

Disagree. I do think he needed to work on throwing a NFL football but his accuracy issues have been overblown. Ben Solak went into great detail about his college accuracy. And I believe Lamar when he says no chemistry with his teammates last season affected his accuracy during his rookie year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is wild hyperbole. He had issues with his mechanics, in particular his footwork, that he's worked on, but his accuracy was never awful in college or his rookie year. He wasn't bad for a rookie passer at all. Project gets thrown around a lot and usually has no correlation with rookie/immediate success. Flacco was a project and he was basically the same level rookie as he always would be. Who's a project? Who's not a project? Wasn't it Rosen who was the most pro-ready? I think of a project as someone who wasn't that good a player in college but had physical traits that people felt could make them good at football eventually. Jackson was an elite college player on a undermanned college team facing top competition, while playing in a far more traditional, "pro-style" offense under Petrino than the one he's running now in the NFL.  

Yes, a huge part of why I loved Jackson was the belief that he had the commitment and work ethic to improve. But, I also saw a guy who would immediately have success. We don't all need to act like no one could have seen Lamar as a top QB coming. Some of us did have him as the top QB in the draft and did hype him up all offseason in all those 3 quarters against the Chargers threads.

The Ravens started Flacco over him because they thought Flacco was still good enough to lead a contending team. That decision was about their evaluation of Flacco, not Lamar. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Tell us

A prospect with elite physical tools to be developed for the future; and is not someone expected to contribute significant snaps early. Typically subject to a steep learning curve from college to the pros, commonly deemed not "pro-ready".  Mental aspects of game underdeveloped. Sometimes underdeveloped physically (e.g. must get stronger). Usually inexperienced, whether new to the game or lacking playing time. High upside, low floor. Yada-yada-yada.

How's that?

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

A prospect with elite physical tools to be developed for the future; and is not someone expected to contribute significant snaps early. Typically subject to a steep learning curve from college to the pros, commonly deemed not "pro-ready".  Mental aspects of game underdeveloped. Sometimes underdeveloped physically (e.g. must get stronger). Usually inexperienced, whether new to the game or lacking playing time. High upside, low floor. Yada-yada-yada.

How's that?

Doesn't sound like Jackson. They worked him into the game in packages even with a healthy Flacco because they knew he could contribute right away. He went 6-1 as a starter  a rookie with the loss being an OT loss on the road to the best regular season team. 

So, some people (definitely not all) may have THOUGHT he was a project by your definition, but he was in fact not. 

Lamar did physically bulk up/get stronger this offseason, to great effect, so I'll give you that as something he had to and did develop.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

You won the division last year for Christsake and you listed all of your subtractions while ignoring things like adding Brown, Ingram, a year of development for Lamar, Signing Earl Thomas, etc.

That didn’t prevent us from being picked to finish third in the division all off season by everybody except Rich Eisen and Basically being laughed off broadcasts when Harbaugh said we were going to revolutionize the way offense is played in the NFL... Our team may end up being the first team in NFL history to average over 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing... To be honest I think Tomlin has done the best coaching job this season given all the moving parts... But at the end of the day their record so far is pretty much what most people thought it would be going into the season... This Ravens team has set so many franchise records this year it’s crazy and even the most optimistic Ravens fan in the world never expected 12-2 through 14 games... Just like I’m sure no one had San Fran 10-3 through 13 games... The titans coach has also done a great job... as has Pete Carroll... people also forget Sean Payton loss Brees for 5 weeks and managed to go 5-0... This year seems to have more viable Options than usual... Should be interesting how it shakes out...

• Like 1