Coach Of The Year Predictions

TXsteeler

11 minutes ago, Kirill said:

He's got 12 pro bowlers. My prediction is Mike Tomlin.

9 of which were originally drafted by us or signed as UDFA's. I truly don't understand what this award is supposed to be about if 'he and the staff he built did too good a job at talent development' is an argument against Harbaugh. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

9 of which were originally drafted by us or signed as UDFA's. I truly don't understand what this award is supposed to be about if 'he and the staff he built did too good a job at talent development' is an argument against Harbaugh. 

Didn't hear any of this in September when I was told the Browns and Steelers would be better than us. :S

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

It has everything to do with it. A lot of COTY is exceeding pre-season expections or else Bill would win every year.

Being one of the best teams the last 30 years according to DVOA with a 2nd year "project QB" > barely making the playoffs after losing your starting QB.

Slighty? THEY'VE ONLY BEATEN ONE TEAM OVER 500. THAT MATTERS.

-What you’re saying makes sense, but I still don’t see how that metric means very much compared to actual performance. Willing to admit that I may be off here on this one. Anyone else care to chime in? How big of a factor is this?

-PB lost fat more than a starting QB. Preseason they lost a bunch. Then they lost their starting QB. Then their starters fell off like flies to injuries, with god awful Rudolph “leading” the pack.

-Ok but this is still a stupid argument. A team is only successful and actually good if they beat only top 10 teams? It’s like people saying NE defense is garbage because of an easy schedule. Well, other historic defenses also had relatively easy schedules. Are they still not historic? Just seems very narrow sighted and serves no purpose other than when it’s being used by haters to discredit accomplishments they don’t like lol. Idk.

Im also tired so maybe I’m just being grumpy. We can agree to disagree. I think Tomlin or Shanahan should get it.

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Why are Ravens fans so surprised that coach of the year doesn't just go to the coach of the best team when, as multiple people have pointed out, BB hasn't won it nearly every year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Why are Ravens fans so surprised that coach of the year doesn't just go to the coach of the best team when, as multiple people have pointed out, BB hasn't won it nearly every year?

But he’s won it three times. 2007 being notably comparable to the coaching season Harbaugh has put together. The Ravens are to this point one of the best rated teams in NFL history. They’ve delivered a “revolutionary” offense to the NFL landscape that Harbaugh promised to the forefront this past offseason and was laughed at. That offense is on pace to be the first to ever eclipse 200 yards passing and rushing in a season, the first to average 200 rushing yards in a 16 game season, and potentially break the rushing record... while also being one of the most efficient offenses in NFL history. Add in the defensive success since halfway through the season, the identity of the team, the 10 game winning streak, with head to head coaching victories over the other two candidates as well as BB. He’s had this team ready to play against the top teams, division teams, tough conditions, young players, along with the improvement in wins, and the overachieving to the expectations established in preseason.

If Harbaugh isn’t the front runner for this award, then the voters logic is flawed. What he’s instilled within this team this season goes beyond the normal qualifications for the award as whichever coach turned the team around the most or dealt with the most adversity and prevailed. When historic success is within the conversation, it trumps having the team win with your third/fourth string QB. Especially when said team coached by said coach was involved in one of the worst brawls in sports history in the season for which he would be crowned “coach of the year”.

In terms of Shanahan, their defense was at historic levels at one point but that’s seemingly cooled off some. So the historical element isn’t as prevalent with that team. What’s more he lost the H2H largely due to his questionable coaching decisions in that game (4th down pass). He also seemingly could finish as the 5th seed. Don’t think such a season should be deemed special enough to trump what Harbaugh has put together. Perhaps Shanahan should win if this were any other year. But this is the year of the 11 on 11 offense. The year of a squad on multiple streams of historic pace... so no an every day candidate shouldn’t be considered as superior in this race. 

19 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

I'd still argue that the Steelers have had a much, much worse situation than the Ravens by a long shot. The Ravens smack talk was speculation and thought. The Steelers have had the worst luck this season and Tomlin has stretched them much farther than most other coaches could have.

Lamar/OC (name eluding me atm) is more to credit to the Ravens success than JH.

Tomlin is more to credit for the Steelers success than... who?

How can you quantify this? How can you say that Tomlin is more to credit than say his defensive coordinator or his offensive coordinator. I could easily say that clearly the Steelers OC is the reason they’ve been able to stay afloat with all these different QBs, WRs, and RBs. That and their DC holding teams to minimal points.

I mean, who took a successful season last year and replaced the OC to Greg Roman, that’s part of this seasons coaching job. You also make it seem like the Ravens path has been easy. They endured an injury to a top CB that completely changed the nature of how they like to play defense. Their top TE/WR have been hobbled for half the season in Andrews case and most of the season in Brown’s case but he’s managed their game minutes and practice time to prevent bigger injury. When the Ravens defense was ranked 28th in the league to start in the first 7ish weeks and they took on 5 street free agents in Josh Bynes, Domata Peko, Justin Ellis, Jihad Ward, and LJ Fort and incorporated them successfully within the locker room and provided them specific roles to make them instrumental in turning the defense into a top 5-10 unit to close out the season? Obviously getting Smith and Peters was a huge boon but the defensive trajectory had already started to improve prior to that culmination with the influx of those street FAs.

How about a 10 game winning streak and keeping the team properly motivated to have such a streak? I’d say that’s just as noteworthy an achievement in motivation as what Tomlin has been able to do. Many coaches in history have been able to latch on to the underdog theme to motivate a squad, but how many teams have fallen apart motivation wise when they went from the hunters to becoming the hunted during the season?

I will say this, if Harbaugh and the team finishes 14-2, it would mean he beat a Tomlin in week 17 without his starting QB and also that he swept that other COTY candidate... I don’t think in the event of that happening that there’s a twinkling that he should lose the award. But we’ll see how the regular season shakes out.

50 minutes ago, evilflamingo said:

I'd have it 1. Harbaugh, 2. McDermott, 3. Shanahan. All three are outstanding candidates and then you have guys like Payton, LaFleur, Belichick, Vrabel, Carroll and Tomlin doing great jobs as well.  

McDermott probably should get more love in this argument. That Bills defense is legit and that offense with weapons that can still be improved is pretty darn legit. Random but an AJ Green on that squad could be the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

McDermott probably should get more love in this argument. That Bills defense is legit and that offense with weapons that can still be improved is pretty darn legit. Random but an AJ Green on that squad could be the difference.

Yeah thats what im rooting for going into next season. 

Josh Allen

Devin Singletary

AJ Green, John Brown, Cole Beasley

19 hours ago, Kirill said:

He's got 12 pro bowlers. My prediction is Mike Tomlin.

We have 12 Pro Bowlers because our team is popular this year. Our team is popular because they're winning. Our team is winning because we're executing a vision. That vision was created by John Harbaugh.

The players that are Pro Bowlers this year aren't really new to the team (except Lamar and Earl Thomas). They were all here last year, so what changed? Why wouldn't Harbaugh get credit for this?

The "This team has 12 Pro Bowlers so they're loaded with talent!" argument doesn't make sense to me and is EXTREMELY lazy.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We have 12 Pro Bowlers because our team is popular this year. Our team is popular because they're winning. Our team is winning because we're executing a vision. That vision was created by John Harbaugh.

The players that are Pro Bowlers this year aren't really new to the team (except Lamar and Earl Thomas). They were all here last year, so what changed? Why wouldn't Harbaugh get credit for this?

The "This team has 12 Pro Bowlers so they're loaded with talent!" argument doesn't make sense to me and is EXTREMELY lazy.

Harbaugh created an older declining Tom Brady?