KJ Costello transferring out of Stanford

naptownskinsfan

Costello will be a very sought-after QB despite the injury concerns.  Oklahoma is sure to check in.  

•  
  •  

Stanford quarterback K.J. Costello has entered the NCAA transfer portal, a source confirmed to 247Sports. Costello, a rising senior, will be classified as a graduate transfer and eligible immediately according to NCAA rules. 

Costello was the starting quarterback for the Cardinal for the latter half of the 2017 season, the entire 2018 season and for five games during the 2019 season as he battled through multiple injuries. His best season came as a sophomore when he threw for 3,540 yards, 29 touchdowns and 11 interceptions for a Cardinal team that finished the campaign 9-4. 

Read More: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-stanford-starting-quarterback-k-j-costello-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal/

Not surprised, when the regular season ended last weekend I had these guys as potential transfers based on competition at the position or just no room for them potentially.  Sad state that any QB in competition with anyone will most likely just leave, will see who else does.  Costello wildly disappointed last year though compared to how he looked the season before.

*JT Daniels USC current RS FR QB and Matt Fink USC current RS JR, with Slovis being the man both of them might be out, especially Daniels.

*McKenzie Milton UCF current RS JR and Darriel Mack Jr UCF current SOPH.  Both could leave because Dillon Gabriel true FR is the man there so will be interesting especially what Milton does if he is healthy again. 

*Jack Coan current JR at Wisconsin and Graham Mertz current FR at Wisconsin but might have took a RS this year.  One of them has to go one would think, I would be very surprised if Mertz sits behind Coan another year but who knows. 

*KJ Costello Stanford current RS JR and Davis Mills Stanford current JR.  No way they both stay at Stanford one will most likely leave but will see.

*Elijah Sindelar Purdue RS SR, apparently has a 6th year potentially granted and with Plummer most likely being the guy at QB there next year, not sure he sticks around or even can based on the young QBs on Purdue.

*Joe Milton Michigan SOPH, with McCaffrey being the guy next year I would not be surprised if he moves on potentially.  

*Feleipe Franks Florida RS JR, apparently might go out of the draft but doubt he would be drafted so most likely should transfer because I doubt he would beat out Trask at QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

*Jack Coan current JR at Wisconsin and Graham Mertz current FR at Wisconsin but might have took a RS this year.  One of them has to go one would think, I would be very surprised if Mertz sits behind Coan another year but who knows. 

Hey bud I'd take a year off before commenting on Wisconsin again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not surprised, when the regular season ended last weekend I had these guys as potential transfers based on competition at the position or just no room for them potentially.  Sad state that any QB in competition with anyone will most likely just leave, will see who else does.  Costello wildly disappointed last year though compared to how he looked the season before.

*JT Daniels USC current RS FR QB and Matt Fink USC current RS JR, with Slovis being the man both of them might be out, especially Daniels.

*McKenzie Milton UCF current RS JR and Darriel Mack Jr UCF current SOPH.  Both could leave because Dillon Gabriel true FR is the man there so will be interesting especially what Milton does if he is healthy again. 

*KJ Costello Stanford current RS JR and Davis Mills Stanford current JR.  No way they both stay at Stanford one will most likely leave but will see.

*Elijah Sindelar Purdue RS SR, apparently has a 6th year potentially granted and with Plummer most likely being the guy at QB there next year, not sure he sticks around or even can based on the young QBs on Purdue.

*Joe Milton Michigan SOPH, with McCaffrey being the guy next year I would not be surprised if he moves on potentially.  

*Feleipe Franks Florida RS JR, apparently might go out of the draft but doubt he would be drafted so most likely should transfer because I doubt he would beat out Trask at QB.

I can't imagine a world where JT Daniels doesn't transfer.

Interesting to see where Costello goes. In the Pac12 alone, he'd likely be an upgrade for at least 6 of the teams- Wazzu, Oregon St, Cal, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon come to mind. Do you think his overall body of work is enough to keep his draft value where it's probably at now even if he goes to a P5 school?

I saw someone mention Jack Coan. If he does leave, where do you think he'd go? Do Wisconsin fans see a potential NFL guy in him? I thought he played admirably and looks like a solid backup type at least. 

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oklahoma is sure to check in.

Weirdly enough, I don't think Oklahoma is going to have much interest.  Tanner Mordecai was apparently close to winning the starting QB gig, which is saying quite a bit given Jalen Hurts' history.  And they still have former 5* recruit in Spencer Rattler behind him on this year's depth chart.  Rattler fits the mold to what the Sooners have done with their QBs, so this figures to be an interesting QB battle next year.  They haven't signed a QB in this year's recruitment cycle, and I believe Rattler and Mordecai are the only QBs they have under scholarship.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I can't imagine a world where JT Daniels doesn't transfer.

I agree with that, no way he would over take Slovis, he is probably the most likely to transfer potentially on my list.  

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Milton is done playing football IMO.

I hope not, but true that could be in the cards for him.  Kid was a great game manager, could create with his legs and make plays in the pocket and on the move.  Good head on him, good leader, hopefully he is not done with football but yeah that might be a possibility, if not I doubt he sticks around at UCF but will see.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Interesting to see where Costello goes. In the Pac12 alone, he'd likely be an upgrade for at least 6 of the teams- Wazzu, Oregon St, Cal, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon come to mind. Do you think his overall body of work is enough to keep his draft value where it's probably at now even if he goes to a P5 school?

I saw someone mention Jack Coan. If he does leave, where do you think he'd go? Do Wisconsin fans see a potential NFL guy in him? I thought he played admirably and looks like a solid backup type at least. 

Costello could go anywhere he wants to go.  His draft value now, personally is on the down side, because of how poorly he played this year, sure injuries might of had something to do with it but he really disappointed when he was out there.  However if he transfers could get a fresh start and do quite well, similar to Jeff Driskel, he transferred out of Florida to La Tech and did quite well for himself compared to what he did the year previous on Florida and became a drafted QB where on Florida his career looked over.  Costello is not to that degree yet but he needs to put some good tape back out there and transferring could give him that chance.

Coan greatly improved this year no doubt but my guess is Mertz went to Wisconsin because he thought he could start this past season.  Sure this year he got a redshirt so it is not a huge deal and no time lost, but if he does not start next year I could see that being an issue but maybe he is fine sitting around.  Or if say he wins the job over Coan in the spring then what would Coan do as a SR, just sit?  Coan lacks a natural throwing motion but if he can make progress again compared to how much he changed from his SOPH to JR year maybe he could have a next level future if he continues to progress at his current rate.  

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Weirdly enough, I don't think Oklahoma is going to have much interest.  Tanner Mordecai was apparently close to winning the starting QB gig, which is saying quite a bit given Jalen Hurts' history.  And they still have former 5* recruit in Spencer Rattler behind him on this year's depth chart.  Rattler fits the mold to what the Sooners have done with their QBs, so this figures to be an interesting QB battle next year.  They haven't signed a QB in this year's recruitment cycle, and I believe Rattler and Mordecai are the only QBs they have under scholarship.

I think Rattler will end up being the starter next year for them but will see.  You never know with transfers who comes and who goes, if the right QB comes along I doubt OU would say no to them regardless of who is on the roster.  Sitting Rattler this past year they did not even hesitate on that one.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Costello could go anywhere he wants to go.  His draft value now, personally is on the down side, because of how poorly he played this year, sure injuries might of had something to do with it but he really disappointed when he was out there.  However if he transfers could get a fresh start and do quite well, similar to Jeff Driskel, he transferred out of Florida to La Tech and did quite well for himself compared to what he did the year previous on Florida and became a drafted QB where on Florida his career looked over.  Costello is not to that degree yet but he needs to put some good tape back out there and transferring could give him that chance.

Pretty much my sentiments on him. I will say though, I felt like Stanford had a really disappointing year altogether across the board though and don't want to knock him too much yet. 

His stock is probably down a bit, but I agree he's definitely one of those candidates to transfer and could easily break into the 2nd or maybe even 1st round with a strong rebound season.

He needs it though, because the 2021 QB class is shaping up to be a pretty deep one for the not-quite-franchise caliber ones. He either rebounds and rises or he could wind up falling from a potential top 4 QB taken to one of the last, or worse. And unfortunately for him, I don't see a whole lot of solid programs he could jump to and keep a high profile that don't have solid QB options already. 

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I will take my chances with Shough.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty much my sentiments on him. I will say though, I felt like Stanford had a really disappointing year altogether across the board though and don't want to knock him too much yet. 

His stock is probably down a bit, but I agree he's definitely one of those candidates to transfer and could easily break into the 2nd or maybe even 1st round with a strong rebound season.

He needs it though, because the 2021 QB class is shaping up to be a pretty deep one for the not-quite-franchise caliber ones. He either rebounds and rises or he could wind up falling from a potential top 4 QB taken to one of the last, or worse. And unfortunately for him, I don't see a whole lot of solid programs he could jump to and keep a high profile that don't have solid QB options already. 

I agree, after his RS SOPH year I thought he had 1st round potential.  But this year was just awful, and yes the entire team was bad, defense was bad, OL was nothing great and the D was pretty bad also.  Have been on the slight decline the past few season especially on D but now they are nothing like they were a few years back.  For Costello he does have a pretty odd release that was very noticeable this year.  

In terms of where he could go, could go and have a chance to start at Florida State, Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Cal, Arizona, Colorado, Washington State, Iowa, Michigan State, Arkansas, Tennessee and Vandy.  That is just the Power 5, could take his pick of the others potentially as well.

N'Kosi Perry could be another potential QB transfer with Williams there at Miami FL.  

Or Sam Hartman if Newman comes back for another season at Wake.  

Justin Rogers is in the portal leaving TCU, Jack Allison is leaving West Virginia and Anthony Brown is leaving Boston College.  Tyler Vander Waal or Wyoming is also in the portal and Andrew Bunch of Nebraska

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Coan greatly improved this year no doubt but my guess is Mertz went to Wisconsin because he thought he could start this past season.  Sure this year he got a redshirt so it is not a huge deal and no time lost, but if he does not start next year I could see that being an issue but maybe he is fine sitting around.  Or if say he wins the job over Coan in the spring then what would Coan do as a SR, just sit?  Coan lacks a natural throwing motion but if he can make progress again compared to how much he changed from his SOPH to JR year maybe he could have a next level future if he continues to progress at his current rate.  

@beekay414 you take this one, it's not listening to me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

I would be interested in JT Daniels. Will be interesting if he changes his mind in terms of wanting to transfer. Last he said is wanting to compete against Slovis.

I was not a huge fan of his during his freshman year, nothing really stood out about him outside of the fact he was a true freshman and had a ok season.  Slovis is far more talented and a better passer, will be curious what Matt Fink does, already decided last year not to transfer out of USC as a RS JR, I assume he will be graduating shortly and could move on as a grand transfer potentially this up coming season.