2020 - TCMD GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Wednesday could be considered the weekend, especially if you are committed to the cause, or in college 

Happy times ahead for you.!!!!!!

What is your drink of choice?

Captain Morgan. But I think Jose is gonna come.calling this weekend.

I drive truck, so I cant drink during the week

Edited by wwhickok

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

APY values are based on the PFF grade, which we all know has it's issues basically the value generated by the PFF grade or the current APY value is used dependant upon the higher amount of these two.

However, you also have to keep in mind that these values are minimum APY values for the free agency and not the actual open market value.  

My idea using the tagged amounts was because the vast majority of these extensions is to provide the player not the team with the best possible value.  Just like Jackson I'm reading things like him being the highest paid corner if he does extend.  

Joe Mixon has had back to back 1,000 yard seasons, you think he'd sign a contract that gave him a 4 million apy contract for 5 years?  You not seeing him on the list is because the exp number is 3 which the formula used is only listing players with 4 or more.  This can be easily fixed by just changing the exp number from 3 to 4.  

This is why I'm suggesting using tag values for extensions.  Mixon imo would never sign a contract like what is currently set up, this is why in the past we didn't allow players on rookie deals to get extensions, the APY values are just too low.  

I thought the APY was the player's asking price? I'm fine with it being higher generally, it will drop over time if the player reaches free agency.  Mixon will probably get 8-9 mil per year in real life on his extension. Something like 4 years, 35 mil.  

Not sure who thinks Jackson will be the highest paid CB but they're smoking something. He missed his first year with an injury. He played very well in 2017, then not as well in 2018 and 2019. The 10 mil APY is probably in the ballpark for Jackson. I won't be extending him in the sim if it costs 17 mil. He can just keep the injury risk while playing for 9 mil. If he has a stellar season, then maybe we tag him for 2021 at 17 mil. Otherwise he goes to free agency and we try to sign him for his APY. If someone else outbids us, so be it, there are plenty of CBs available each year. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I thought the APY was the player's asking price? I'm fine with it being higher generally, it will drop over time if the player reaches free agency.  Mixon will probably get 8-9 mil per year in real life on his extension. Something like 4 years, 35 mil.  

Right...It is the min value to sign within free agency but bids can be whatever amount beyond it.  It was never really designed for anything other than free agency.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Not sure who thinks Jackson will be the highest paid CB but they're smoking something. He missed his first year with an injury. He played very well in 2017, then not as well in 2018 and 2019. The 10 mil APY is probably in the ballpark for Jackson. I won't be extending him in the sim if it costs 17 mil. He can just keep the injury risk while playing for 9 mil. If he has a stellar season, then maybe we tag him for 2021 at 17 mil. Otherwise he goes to free agency and we try to sign him for his APY. If someone else outbids us, so be it, there are plenty of CBs available each year. 

I saw it in an article headline but didn't read the actual article might have been one of those click bait titles.

But for a team to exercise the 5th year option which is basically paying the price of the transition tag amount should say something about his value from at least the teams perspective in where they valued him.  

If you wanna help with this structure for extensions I'll be working on it this weekend.