Leisher's Merry Christmas 2020 Mock draft, rounds 1-5.

jleisher

First and foremost, Merry Christmas!  

Cuts:  Graham TE  (Save $8m), *Linsley C (Save $8m), Taylor G (Save $3m)  * Why Linsley?  My logic is he worth $10m?  Packers want to go to more of a power running game, C is a good place to start the building process.  Still way to early, but have fun with it.

Resigns:  Martinez ILB, Crosby K and Bulaga, any others are extra.

Outside Free Agents:

This is a 2019 photo of Austin Hooper of the Atlanta Falcons NFL football team. This image reflects the Atlanta Falcons active roster as of Monday, June 10, 2019 when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Austin Hooper TE  Atlanta Falcons   3yrs $30m with $10 guan

Leonard Williams Contract BreakdownsLeonard Williams DE  New York Giants  4yrs $40m with $10 guan

Draft:

#27.  

Laviska Shenault Jr NFL

Scouting Report: Laviska Shenault Jr.

School: Colorado Position: Wide Receiver Class: Junior Height: 6’2″ Weight: 220 Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

Powerfully built receiver that has a rare combination of height, strength, speed, and agility. Has superb speed in the open field and acceleration after getting out of cuts. Able to fight for balls and generally will win against smaller, weaker defensive backs. Has had some injury concerns, some of which due to his physical style of play. Catches everything thrown his way and is able to get separation at the point of the catch and by getting away from defenders.

#59.

Brandon Aiyuk NFL

Scouting Report: Brandon Aiyuk

School: Arizona State Position: Wide Receiver Class: Senior Height: 6’1″ Weight: 206 

Scouting Report:

Has emerged as a star after being overshadowed by superstar N’Keal Harry. At first glance, appears to be more of a vertical, outside receiver whose job it is to take the top off of defenses. However, with more tape evaluation, it is clear that Aiyuk is a polished and versatile receiver. He is a smooth route runner, that gets nice acceleration out of cuts, and has a knack for finding openings in defenses. He is a natural catcher of the ball, and in particular, tracks the deep ball extremely well. Aiyuk has shown that he is very comfortable in the slot, and his yards after catch is impressive. An excellent all around wide receiver prospect.

#91.  

Darryl Williams 2020 NFL Mock Draft

Scouting Report: Darryl Williams

School: Mississippi State Position: Offensive Guard/Center Class: Senior Height: 6’2 Weight: 305  

Scouting Report:

Exceptional interior offensive lineman that works best within smaller spaces. Locks on to defenders and has excellent strength to secure the block. Lower body strength is also very good, and can drive defenders back in the run game to make lanes. A clear interior blocker that won’t be considered as a tackle, but when given fixed zones to work with, is an elite run and pass blocker.

#135.

Josh Sills NFL

Scouting Report: Josh Sills

School: West Virginia Position: Offensive Guard Class: Junior Height: 6’6″ Weight: 328

Scouting Report:

Experienced at both guard spots in West Virginia’s complex offensive system. Never have played in any zone blocking schemes in high school, had to learn the concept of blocking areas and taking angles to cut off defenders. Massive guard prospect that should be more comfortable in an NFL system, that, even when a zone team, will incorporate a lot of man concepts that will utilize his road grading abilities. For a man of his size, moves well laterally, and has developed footwork skills that aren’t too common coming into the next level.

#173.

Evan Weaver NFL

Scouting Report: Evan Weaver

School: California Position: Inside/Outside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6’3″ Weight: 245 

Scouting Report:

Coming to Cal as a defensive end, Weaver has been worked as an outside linebacker and has found a spot currently as an inside linebacker. Thriving in coverage and with read and reactions, has a knack for getting to the play quickly, and is relentless in his pursuit of the ball carrier. Not a true thumper in the middle, more of playmaker that is best used when is allowed to free range in the defense. Could be used inside or outside at the next level depending on scheme. A smart, experienced player that is ready to start in the NFL from day

It’s possible Linsley is not resigned when the time comes, it is not possible he is cut after this season.

In today’s world both your outside free agents will bring bigger contracts I’m afraid.

We would be very fortunate to be able re-sign both Bulaga and Martinez.  Possible though.

Then we get to the best part, which is the worst part.  WR’s signed in both rounds 1 and 2.  You’re just baiting us in order to have some fun, right?   Then followed by two interior lineman with one to immediately start at center or is that where Patrick comes in?

We would certainly need a Festivus miracle after this..but Merry Christmas to you too

Not all that far fetched.  WR is the strength of the draft and an area we surely could use an influx of talent.  Replacing Linsley with a draft pick is a risky proposition.  Took two of them and if both can't cut it at C could always shift Jenkins there.  Not desirable though.  Even if we decide to bring back Bulaga we need depth at OT.  Figure Gutey would draft at least one OT.  In the draft want to take BPA if it turns out both players are WR's so be it.  Haven't gone into draft mode too early haven't studied up on the prospects yet.  Like the idea of bring Leanard in he could be a force along the D-line.  Hooper would be a nice add as well.   Graham is toast after the season of that I am sure.  Martinez is a ?  Same with Bulaga but think the Pack will try hard to bring him back into the fold.

3 hours ago, 15412 said:

It’s possible Linsley is not resigned when the time comes, it is not possible he is cut after this season.

This.  Unless we are thinking Jenkins is good enough to play center. I am liking him at guard.  It isn't broken, don't fix it.  I would be weary of trying to re-shuffle like that without a proper replacement on roster already.  At least when the current starter is still under contract.  

• Like 3

I agree. Graham and Taylor are as good as gone, but I think Linsley stays to the end of his contract (and I'm not a Linsley fan). I like the idea of drafting Linsley's eventual replacement though. Signing Hooper may be a bridge too far then, but I'm willing to wait and see how Sternberger develops. Signing an IDL in FA is good. Not sure about Williams. Would love to get Robertson-Harris from the Bears instead and weaken them some more!

In a year that is supposed to be strong for WRs, drafting two early is playing to the strength of the draft and likely gives good value, even though that might send OP31 to the cardiac ward, I'd love to see this offense with some more play makers!

Thanks for the work! 

Got to the part about cutting a top 10 center.  Remembered watching Cousins look shell shocked because his rookie first round pick at center got wedgied by Z and had his lunch money stolen by Kenny.  ....then quit reading.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Got to the part about cutting a top 10 center.  Remembered watching Cousins look shell shocked because his rookie first round pick at center got wedgied by Z and had his lunch money stolen by Kenny.  ....then quit reading.

I'll never get the fascination every year of fans wanting to cut good, young, durable football players at important positions. 

I'm going to give you a pass on the mistake of cutting Lindsley and instead, rip you for two WR's back-to-back. Bulaga's injury-prone; it's a hard pill to swallow, but it's fact. There needs to be an OT drafted before the 5th round. Secondly, Shenault is injury-prone as well. You're going to draft that in the 1st where WR's bust consistently? C'mon...

Leonard Williams is a great signing for cost, but he can't be the only guy brought in along the IDL. There's gotta be at least a 2nd. We need competition there desperately just like we do at ILB. We fix those two things and we don't have to worry about WR...

I like Shenault, and I like Aiyuk but both in Rounds 1&2 is overkill.  The strength of this draft is in the WR group, but that doesn't mean you take two with your first two picks.  It means you get a guy you like on day one or two then start looking for values on day 3 like Denzel Mims or Lynn Bowden Jr.  I wouldn't cut Linsley to sign Leonard Williams; Williams is almost certainly going to be retained by the Giants after all (otherwise trading for him makes no sense).

I'm seeing Leonard Williams mentioned.  

2019 Williams stats....with Jets.  20 combined tackles.  6 QB hits.  0 sacks. 8 games.

2019 Williams stats...with Giants.   21 combined tackles.  10 QB hits.  0 sacks.  7 games.  

Per Pro Football Reference.

I originally wanted him in GB.  Can't help but wonder if that wasn't a good "pass" by Gute.

The logic of this draft was that Hooper would offer instant play at TE.  Teams with Lewis and Tanyon at TE.  Drafting 2 WR very early, after Adams who is are #2 WR?  Lazard has stepped up out of the group, but is in no way a true #2 or #3 WR.  By added Shenault and Aiyuk you give #12 some toys to play with.  Now, you have Adams, Shenault, Aiyuk, Lazard and one or two of the group of MVS, ESB or Kumerow as #5 and #6.  Team that with Hooper at TE, Rodgers should be very happy with the passing game.

Williams offer veteran play at DE, solid against the run and can offer some pass rush.  DL of Williams, Clark and Lowry seems good to me.  LB Evan Weaver can play inside or outside, replaces Fackrell and can add to ILB game.  The OL has been solid and heathy this year, no way that will happen two years in a row.  D. Williams offers solid play at C with more muscle and nastiness to him.  Sills offers a swing G cheaper then Taylor.  Thanks for all your thoughts.  Happy New Year!