WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

10 minutes ago, mse326 said:

There is a post a few above talking about what counts as "downing" I can see the signal saying I'm not coming out and tossing it to the ref as being considered a "similar action"

Per the actual rule book, saying you aren't coming out isn't a thing

https://operations.nfl.com/media/3831/2019-playing-rules.pdf

RULE 7- BALL IN PLAY, DEAD BALL, SCRIMMAGE
SECTION 2 - DEAD BALL
ARTICLE 1. DEAD BALL DECLARED.An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
(d) when a runner declares himself down by:
(1) falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance.
(2) sliding. When a runner slides, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet.

The relevant phrase is "clearly making no immediate effort to advance." It can be argued both ways.

The interesting thing is technically there wasn't a review from the booth but from "backup refs." Never heard that ever done that way.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

But you have to look at the rulebook for what "down" means that is what the question is. Is what he did giving himself up such that he is declared down, that is what I don't know

I'll quote myself again....

when a runner declares himself down by:

1. falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance.

Did he fall to the ground or kneel and clearly make no immediate effort to advance?

Did he fall or kneel: No

The next statement is AND so it doesn't matter because he didn't do the first part.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

The play is not about common sense and may not even be in the NFL rule book.  That was something returners have been doing all season long.  The refs and the NFL set a precedent that putting both arms out to signal you're giving yourself up was acceptable.  So when the returner for the Texans did that, in his mind he was just doing what he had done in the past. 

Even if that's not apart of the rule book, that needs to continue to be accepted going forward.  If it's an issue, then change it to how it's supposed to be next season.

That is not true... returners only do that if they catch the ball out of bounds or the ball hit the ground prior to it being fielded. In which case its properly ruled a touchback. However in this case neither of those things happen... and he didnt fall to the ground to give himself up. Its a fumble or an illegal forward pass.

Just now, Woz said:

Per the actual rule book, saying you aren't coming out isn't a thing

https://operations.nfl.com/media/3831/2019-playing-rules.pdf

The relevant phrase is "clearly making no immediate effort to advance." It can be argued both ways.

The interesting thing is technically there wasn't a review from the booth but from "backup refs." Never heard that ever done that way.

I think @showtime is right about this. Whether the rule book says that is giving yourself up and therefore down is immaterial since the refs and NFL have been saying it is all season (and more). You can't change that now.

• Like 1

Just now, mse326 said:

I think @showtime is right about this. Whether the rule book says that is giving yourself up and therefore down is immaterial since the refs and NFL have been saying it is all season (and more). You can't change that now.

Exactly.  The NFL and refs have set a precedent all season that that was acceptable.  Now all of a sudden it's not?  It's something they have to change next season.

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'll quote myself again....

Did he fall to the ground or kneel and clearly make no immediate effort to advance?

Did he fall or kneel: No

The next statement is AND so it doesn't matter because he didn't do the first part.

I get that, but again we know that in sports the refs allow stuff that isn't in the rule book that sets a precedent. If that has been allowed all season then it can't change now. The ref in the booth right away said that that was wrong and all game he was going to pains to back up the refs. Then you have 4+ other refs running saying no. At some point you have to realize this is the way it is done.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Except when players do that, they aren't catching the ball. They're letting it hit the ground, which constitutes a touchback. In this case, a player touches the ball and never goes down. He fumbled or at worst, illegal forward pass.

Just now, mse326 said:

Is there an example of them "saying it is all season"?

Just now, mse326 said:

I get that, but again we know that in sports the refs allow stuff that isn't in the rule book that sets a precedent. If that has been allowed all season then it can't change now. The ref in the booth right away said that that was wrong and all game he was going to pains to back up the refs. Then you have 4+ other refs running saying no. At some point you have to realize this is the way it is done.

Show me ONE example of this during the season. Just one.

Just now, Soggust said:

Is there an example of them "saying it is all season"?

I don't have any video evidence.  One of the announcers during the game at that moment said he has seen other kickoff returners do that exact same motion and it was fine in other games.