2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

A thing that we can’t just push to the side is that the staff might like Edoga and see him as a starter. He was a rookie last year and was expected to struggle being a mid rounder as well.

Something to keep an eye on if it appears we missed replacing a spot on the OL in FA and the draft. We will know more the more JD talks about what he thinks about him more than likely.

Reports are we will be on big on Thuney if he hits FA.

Also Robby had an interview and said the jets have made it clear they want him back. But as the conversation went on, said money hasn’t been discussed yet. Also made it clear he will test FA. And simply said thy he will let the Jets be at the table when FA comes. Shared zero about his want to be back. Actually what he said is he wants to be on a team that will put him in a great situation.

The way I understood it (which each can gather their own opinion from the interview). Is that he won’t be back. Which I’m perfectly ok with. He’s not worth 10-12mill IMO. 

With the Jets having so much money to spend on Free agents, last year and this year, the so called experts have the Jets doing nothing in the FA market, on all the mock drafts on FA's this year on the internet. All they say about the Jets is they are going to let Robby Anderson walk. I find this troublesome.

56 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

With the Jets having so much money to spend on Free agents, last year and this year, the so called experts have the Jets doing nothing in the FA market, on all the mock drafts on FA's this year on the internet. All they say about the Jets is they are going to let Robby Anderson walk. I find this troublesome.

We dont have as much as you think. We dont have alot of players under contract next year. We have a handful of FAs that will need a decent pay day if we want to keep them. We can cut several guys and maybe restructure a couple. But not sure what number you think we have, but its not that high like the last few years. We should have around 70mill in cap space without resigning everyone. For me Poole should be a main guy to pay. Everyone after that the staff has to view at what they're actually worth. Robby, Jenkins, Beachum and Lewis are a few of these names. It comes to value. For example the edge rusher FA list is great. Guys a lot better than Jenkins. So that makes Jenkins not a must resign bc theres a decent chance of bringing in a better edge rusher than him. With Robby its about that what he wants money wise and some team will pay for, IMO he is not worth. He will get 10-12mill per year at least IMO. And for me he's a 8-9mill WR at best. So you dont just overpay him 3-4mill to keep him. Go look elsewhere. Robby isnt Hopkins, Jones, Adams, etc where he's a guy you dont let go. That pays him as a top 15 or so WR and for me he's not even close to that. And Im a huge advocate of giving Darnold weapons. But certainly dont overpay for guys talents like that. The focus 1st and foremost should be the OL. I hope we go extremely hard after all the big name FAs that dont get tagged. Like Conklin, Scherff, Thuney, Glasgow, Humphries, Bulaga, Peters, Costanzo just to name a few. This is where our money should be spent. Get 2-3 high end OL starters. Then see what the rest of the FA class can offer at WR, Edge and CB. Leaving us able to go into the draft open minded.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We dont have as much as you think. We dont have alot of players under contract next year. We have a handful of FAs that will need a decent pay day if we want to keep them. We can cut several guys and maybe restructure a couple. But not sure what number you think we have, but its not that high like the last few years. We should have around 70mill in cap space without resigning everyone. For me Poole should be a main guy to pay. Everyone after that the staff has to view at what they're actually worth. Robby, Jenkins, Beachum and Lewis are a few of these names. It comes to value. For example the edge rusher FA list is great. Guys a lot better than Jenkins. So that makes Jenkins not a must resign bc theres a decent chance of bringing in a better edge rusher than him. With Robby its about that what he wants money wise and some team will pay for, IMO he is not worth. He will get 10-12mill per year at least IMO. And for me he's a 8-9mill WR at best. So you dont just overpay him 3-4mill to keep him. Go look elsewhere. Robby isnt Hopkins, Jones, Adams, etc where he's a guy you dont let go. That pays him as a top 15 or so WR and for me he's not even close to that. And Im a huge advocate of giving Darnold weapons. But certainly dont overpay for guys talents like that. The focus 1st and foremost should be the OL. I hope we go extremely hard after all the big name FAs that dont get tagged. Like Conklin, Scherff, Thuney, Glasgow, Humphries, Bulaga, Peters, Costanzo just to name a few. This is where our money should be spent. Get 2-3 high end OL starters. Then see what the rest of the FA class can offer at WR, Edge and CB. Leaving us able to go into the draft open minded.

I say the same thing ever year( this is a huge off season is our most important in our history) but this year it is true  it is the start of a new era for the Jets. Can't wait to see what Douglas, first moves will be.  This should be a real fun offseason, plenty to talk about.

Edited by doumeyer

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Reports are we will be on big on Thuney if he hits FA.

Also Robby had an interview and said the jets have made it clear they want him back. But as the conversation went on, said money hasn’t been discussed yet. Also made it clear he will test FA. And simply said thy he will let the Jets be at the table when FA comes. Shared zero about his want to be back. Actually what he said is he wants to be on a team that will put him in a great situation.

The way I understood it (which each can gather their own opinion from the interview). Is that he won’t be back. Which I’m perfectly ok with. He’s not worth 10-12mill IMO. 

Thuney would be a good get if we can land him.  He hasn't missed a game in his NFL career, is in his prime and is a very good player. Good things happen when you use premium draft picks on the OL. Lots of great linemen are found in round 2-3. Thuney was a 3rd round pick. 

Jamal Adams said he started talking contract with the Jets. I know Adams is gonna cost a good amount, but even though hes a safety hes one of those guys worth paying just for culture value. When hes on the field our defense plays more inspired. Adams very well could go on to a HOF career, hes a special talent at the position and one of our building blocks IMO.  Of all the losers we have given contracts to, I am confident that Adams won't stop playing hard, its in his DNA. Hes like Brian Dawkins. 

Anderson I am fine with moving on, hes a solid player but honestly you can find better. He seems to think hes this elite WR which I disagree with, hes been a 700+ yard guy. Crowder was actually our most productive WR.  With Anderson you also risk that once he gets paid hes gonna start getting in trouble again and being a loser. 

I really hope we use a premium pick on a WR this year, we need to start bringing talent at positions that matter. We finally have a franchise QB, get him weapons and a OL. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

Strong feeling Jets will move heaven on earth to land at least one of Conklin, Scherff, Thuney. I don’t think they will be able to land 2-of-3, but entirely possible. 

Some are reporting that Conklin is highest on our list. I think any team that signs him will go in as the Raiders did- he’ll become the highest paid Tackle in the league, but whether he plays right or left will be TBD.

I would think the most likely option is the Jets sign one of the above 3 and package them with Graham Glasgow. Chad Forbes rumored Twitter that McGovern and BJ Finney could be in play as well, but idk how I feel about his sources. I do know that Glasgow is someone the Jets will push for. Another player to keep an eye out for is Andrus Peat. 

• Like 1

I am fine with Joe Thuney if Jets don't think they are able to upgrade LT, RT or C via FA or 1st round.   Conklin and maybe Castonzo should be top priority. Period.   Many teams can get away with average LG so there is no reason to hurry and overpay Thuney just to get best OL aboard. 

I heard Mike Munchak disliked Connor McGovern for whatever reason. Maybe Center is not that important to him but it is interesting to learn that one of best OL coaches in NFL has low opinion on McGovern.

Media words had Jets eyeing for Small Q's return and a re-sign possibility for Robby Anderson.  If true, it certainly shows Jets won't take WR in 1st.

I don't think Brian Poole is a must to keep because Jets already have a bunch of CBs that can handle slot role.  Arthur Maulet (RFA) and Nate Hairston should get more reps had Jets moved on from Poole.

4 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Thuney would be a good get if we can land him.  He hasn't missed a game in his NFL career, is in his prime and is a very good player. Good things happen when you use premium draft picks on the OL. Lots of great linemen are found in round 2-3. Thuney was a 3rd round pick. 

Jamal Adams said he started talking contract with the Jets. I know Adams is gonna cost a good amount, but even though hes a safety hes one of those guys worth paying just for culture value. When hes on the field our defense plays more inspired. Adams very well could go on to a HOF career, hes a special talent at the position and one of our building blocks IMO.  Of all the losers we have given contracts to, I am confident that Adams won't stop playing hard, its in his DNA. Hes like Brian Dawkins. 

Anderson I am fine with moving on, hes a solid player but honestly you can find better. He seems to think hes this elite WR which I disagree with, hes been a 700+ yard guy. Crowder was actually our most productive WR.  With Anderson you also risk that once he gets paid hes gonna start getting in trouble again and being a loser. 

I really hope we use a premium pick on a WR this year, we need to start bringing talent at positions that matter. We finally have a franchise QB, get him weapons and a OL. 

100% - People argue he's too into himself, sure, most millennial superstars are, more than anything though he's obsessed with being the best at his craft and I don't see that desire going away until he puts on a gold jacket. The premium position argument is none-sense when you're a transcending/generational talent, his impact (Both on and off the field) is up there with just about any defensive player in the league and he'll be paid accordingly. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:29 PM, jetskid007 said:

Strong feeling Jets will move heaven on earth to land at least one of Conklin, Scherff, Thuney. I don’t think they will be able to land 2-of-3, but entirely possible. 

Some are reporting that Conklin is highest on our list. I think any team that signs him will go in as the Raiders did- he’ll become the highest paid Tackle in the league, but whether he plays right or left will be TBD.

I would think the most likely option is the Jets sign one of the above 3 and package them with Graham Glasgow. Chad Forbes rumored Twitter that McGovern and BJ Finney could be in play as well, but idk how I feel about his sources. I do know that Glasgow is someone the Jets will push for. Another player to keep an eye out for is Andrus Peat. 

Scherff is my last place guy out of the initial 3.  Here is the oldest and has had multiple shoulder injures that have ended seasons.  Shoulders scare the crap out of me. 

On 1/31/2020 at 2:29 PM, jetskid007 said:

Conklin would be my 1st choice with Thuney after him than Scherff. I’d love any of them though. I do think it will be incredibly hard to get 2 of them. Glasgow and Vaitai are the 3 names I link us to after that. But I do like the idea of McGovern or Finney as well. 

McShay released a mock today: Becton to the Jets (Wills to LAC, Wirfs to ARI, Josh Jones to CLE) with Thomas falling to #18. 

It’s going on to be interesting to see how these boards stack up over the next few months. I think teams will be all over the map with their rankings, but unanimously agreeing that this class has an elite crop of OL in the top end of the draft