Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

FBS and FCS are completely different levels of competition..  I have no interest in seeing a top team steamroll Virginia or some other Group of Five team that wasn't worthy of the G5 selection for NY6.  Hell, we already  had Virginia playing for a conference title.  For level of competition, I think 8 teams is perfect.

Why not go with "you won your conference, you get a shot at the prize?" Sure, you might have teams get steamrolled in the first round, but you have that in March Madness ... and UMBC (*sigh*). If you go with the conference champions + 2 at large, you end up with 12 teams. Top four get byes, rest play through. 3 or 4 extra games. Champs + 4 = 14, with just two byes. Champs + 6 = 16, everyone plays up to four more games.

Chop a game off of the regular season.

• Like 1

Just now, Woz said:

Why not go with "you won your conference, you get a shot at the prize?" Sure, you might have teams get steamrolled in the first round, but you have that in March Madness ... and UMBC (*sigh*). If you go with the conference champions + 2 at large, you end up with 12 teams. Top four get byes, rest play through. 3 or 4 extra games. Champs + 4 = 14, with just two byes. Champs + 6 = 16, everyone plays up to four more games.

See, I'm not a March Madness fan, so I don't follow that school of thought.  Personally, I think if the playoffs just go to 8 with the wild cards, it gives more room to argue, and it also makes the OOC schedule mean something more.  It gives someone a whole lot more reason to schedule a good/great matchup instead of the Wofford's of the world.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

FBS and FCS are completely different levels of competition.. 

FCS also has its own version of the "P5" and "G5" conferences. I'm not saying have FCS play FBS. I'm saying to do it like FCS does and have 16-24 teams with the top 8 with first round byes.

I have no interest in seeing a top team steamroll Virginia or some other Group of Five team that wasn't worthy of the G5 selection for NY6

And yet you see that in bowls all the time. Hell, even the 4 team playoff had LSU scoring 49 points by halftime against OSU. The point is that yes, usually the non-seeded teams in the FCS playoff are out by the Quarters. But a few have made it and made the playoffs that year very interesting. And the seeded teams get first round byes. So by the time they play, they are facing the better of the non-seeded teams. 

Give you an example. In 2004, en route to its first championship, JMU became the ONLY FCS team to play every playoff game as the visiting team (this was before they moved the natty to Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas). We weren't seeded and yet we ended up winning the whole darned thing! That's GOOD for the sport.

TBQH, the FBS "playoff" is boring to me. Seems (my perception, I'm not gonna look up actual participants) like the same teams every year in the playoff. I'd like to see something interesting and see some top teams get knocked off by some cinderellas.

Hell, we already  had Virginia playing for a conference title.  For level of competition, I think 8 teams is perfect.

You're gonna get that TBH in many sports. The Men's basketball does the tourney the best and each year there are cinderella teams that go far (George Mason making it to the Final Four...anyone?)

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I like that woz. Woz for NCAA Football Commissioner. I’ll pen them a letter on your behalf!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Yup. The teams in the FCS championship play a max of 16 games. The typical complaint I hear is that is too many games. 

Too many? For supposedly the stronger subdivision? Wusses.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. The teams in the FCS championship play a max of 16 games. The typical complaint I hear is that is too many games. 

Too many? For supposedly the stronger subdivision? Wusses.

I'm willing to consider byes for the top teams, but I can go either way on it.

• Like 1

Just now, Woz said:

I'm willing to consider byes for the top teams, but I can go either way on it.

Oh absolutely the top teams should get byes! There should be some reward for being a top team. It allows the first round games to shake out and the top teams to rest up a week.

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Very interesting how Joe Gibbs seemed to play as big a role in hiring Rivera as Snyder did.  From the article below, they had three phone conversations as well as Gibbs inviting Rivera to his Charlotte home and visiting with him.  

https://thefandc.radio.com/joe-gibbs-dan-snyder-recruit-ron-rivera-redskins

Yep, which makes me love the hire even more. When Ron was fired, Gibbs called Snyder and said you need to hire Ron.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Very interesting how Joe Gibbs seemed to play as big a role in hiring Rivera as Snyder did.  From the article below, they had three phone conversations as well as Gibbs inviting Rivera to his Charlotte home and visiting with him.  

https://thefandc.radio.com/joe-gibbs-dan-snyder-recruit-ron-rivera-redskins

This seems to be a calming detail with the wacky hiring of Rivera. Always speculated Gibbs was the conduit as they were both Charlotte-based and Gibbs is the really the only person Snyder will listen to. Snyder in an unofficial advisory role will always keep the fan base at bay. 

• Like 1

Burgundy Blog Tweet

Step back and consider how much has changed in two weeks. Bruce gone. Schaffer going. Hess replaced. New HC, OC, DC. Yes, same owner, but this is sweeping change, people. Things may or may not get better but they will not be the same. Couldn't have hoped for much more.

I agree with this tweet!