Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

14 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

This logic says we screwed up a 7th round pick. Seems nitpicky.

Hindsight is always an interesting game to play.

It was a headscratcher to me to take 3 RB's in the draft.  Easily could have taken the 3 picks, moved up for a good one and then taken an UDFA to top it off.  Again, hindsight.  I think that approach is what The Chiefs used to get Hunt.

But yes, nitpicky.  Good word to describe how I feel about it.  No biggee.

42 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Hindsight is always an interesting game to play.

It was a headscratcher to me to take 3 RB's in the draft.  Easily could have taken the 3 picks, moved up for a good one and then taken an UDFA to top it off.  Again, hindsight.  I think that approach is what The Chiefs used to get Hunt.

But yes, nitpicky.  Good word to describe how I feel about it.  No biggee.

Obviously most everyone whiffed on Hunt. I am not against trading up for one or anything. But by the same token that guy or Ty could get hurt and we could ask "why didn't we take two backs" or what have you. It's a game the staff can rarely win.

We can agree to disagree on that.  If you want to draft two.  Great.  Grab a third as an UDFA.  But again, playing the hindsight game.  I used Hunt as an example only because the Chiefs traded (I think) 3 picks to go get him.  Could have inserted any name as I was more interested in the picks given up to go get a targeted player.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

We can agree to disagree on that.  If you want to draft two.  Great.  Grab a third as an UDFA.  But again, playing the hindsight game.  I used Hunt as an example only because the Chiefs traded (I think) 3 picks to go get him.  Could have inserted any name as I was more interested in the picks given up to go get a targeted player.

A 7th is just a first shot at UDFA in my book. If we take Odom and Mays and pretend they exchanged spots... Then are we happy? Same thing really.

40 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I don't know how you can positively say this.

MM watches them in practice every day. If he doesn't think he is ready, he probably isn't

Remember the name Jonathon Franklin?  He wasn't ready to play either...till we did due to injuries, I think, in a Bengals game.  And he played great.  Sometimes the kids just need an opportunity.

And opportunity is there this week.  I'm actually excited to see someone else back there.  If not for the production and awareness, certainly for giving Monty a rest so he will last a few more games.

I don't think much will happen with either Ty or Williams until the run blocking is better and until we need to run the ball vs soft fronts.

Jones is the guy who can create in space and make sharp cuts to make guys miss.  Mays is the one with the most power.  Either would be better fits for the state of our OL and run blocking.

Williams is 2nd up because he can block.  Ty has been ok but is playing too many snaps.  I really like him as a 3rd down receiver, but you can't be a 3rd down back if you block like he does.  Slowly, the coaches will give others a chance on 3rd down, and the rookies will show they are better than Ty at the role.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Remember the name Jonathon Franklin?  He wasn't ready to play either...till we did due to injuries, I think, in a Bengals game.  And he played great.  Sometimes the kids just need an opportunity.

And opportunity is there this week.  I'm actually excited to see someone else back there.  If not for the production and awareness, certainly for giving Monty a rest so he will last a few more games.

Remember the names Jhurell Pressly, Don Jackson, Knile Davis? Just because they are the bench doesn't mean they will play good.

GoPack stated an affirmative "know" regarding Jamal Williams pass blocking. Was just curious how he knew

4 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I don't know how you can positively say this.

MM watches them in practice every day. If he doesn't think he is ready, he probably isn't

I mean I don't know for a fact, but throughout camp they said he was the best out of all of the backs in that area.

Archived