Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, I'd be all for seeing Jones in real action. Williams needs to learn to run with his head up and let the play develop without just running into a pile. 

The kid has barely had a chance to run the ball this season it's week 2 and he got what 3 carriers last night. We don't even give the ball to Ty enough. AR checks out of runs so often it's amazing. Williams just hasn't had it slow down yet, he wants to impress he's just getting it and running to hard. If MM would run the dam ball a bit I"m certain we'll see better results from both Ty and Williams.

4 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

The kid has barely had a chance to run the ball this season it's week 2 and he got what 3 carriers last night. We don't even give the ball to Ty enough. AR checks out of runs so often it's amazing. Williams just hasn't had it slow down yet, he wants to impress he's just getting it and running to hard. If MM would run the dam ball a bit I"m certain we'll see better results from both Ty and Williams.

It's more than that. A guy like Kareem Hunt, for example, who has been in the league as long as Williams, has those intangibles that a running back either has or he doesn't which is why you can already see him as becoming a special player. He has that level of vision, patience, and bounce ability to make guys miss, create something when nothing is there, etc. Basically the same traits that make a guy like Le'Veon so special when you watch him run the ball. Whether I watch one carry or a dozen, I don't see those attributes in Williams and I'm not sure you can teach those traits. To me, Williams looks like a guy who maybe when "he gets it" might become a James Starks type player. 

I think Jones > Williams in most of the skills I described above. He might have the most upside when it's all said and done, just based on the "way" I saw him run in the preseason versus how I saw Williams run. Jones had a few runs in the preseason where he recognized a cut back lane, demonstrated patience and made a correct read, whether it was a 2 yard gain or 15. I haven't seen one run by Williams like that. 

Hunt has broken two long runs, and other than that has been average. Williams has had 0 career carries (both in preseason and regular season) with a line of Bahk-Taylor-Linsley-Evans-Bulaga.

Let's give him awhile. His 2nd run versus Seattle was perfect. Got the ball, there was penetration, he jump cut and got 5 yards when there was nothing. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's more than that. A guy like Kareem Hunt, for example, who has been in the league as long as Williams, has those intangibles that a running back either has or he doesn't which is why you can already see him as becoming a special player. He has that level of vision, patience, and bounce ability to make guys miss, create something when nothing is there, etc. Basically the same traits that make a guy like Le'Veon so special when you watch him run the ball. Whether I watch one carry or a dozen, I don't see those attributes in Williams and I'm not sure you can teach those traits. To me, Williams looks like a guy who maybe when "he gets it" might become a James Starks type player. 

I think Jones > Williams in most of the skills I described above. He might have the most upside when it's all said and done, just based on the "way" I saw him run in the preseason versus how I saw Williams run. Jones had a few runs in the preseason where he recognized a cut back lane, demonstrated patience and made a correct read, whether it was a 2 yard gain or 15. I haven't seen one run by Williams like that. 

So far yes Hunt has been better vs Williams but the sample size is still very limited. The Chief's also run the ball more and more effectively then we do. Under MM Green bay is the place where backs go to rest!

I just think Williams will come around he just needs a bit more time. Not all RB's hit right away some take a bit of time to adjust. He needs carriers. it's way to early to pull the plug that's for sure. Again I won't argue the results from Hunt to him or other backs. Just going off how we use our backs. He may turn out to be crap but I'd rather give him a shot first.

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

So far yes Hunt has been better vs Williams but the sample size is still very limited. The Chief's also run the ball more and more effectively then we do. Under MM Green bay is the place where backs go to rest!

I just think Williams will come around he just needs a bit more time. Not all RB's hit right away some take a bit of time to adjust. He needs carriers. it's way to early to pull the plug that's for sure. Again I won't argue the results from Hunt to him or other backs. Just going off how we use our backs. He may turn out to be crap but I'd rather give him a shot first.

And I'm not necessarily comparing Hunt to Williams. Hunt was a higher draft pick for a reason. The guy was a legit high 2nd rounder until he ran slow at the combine. Just my opinion (call it a hunch) that I think Jones will actually end up being the best back of our '17 class. Hopefully they both turn out. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hunt has broken two long runs, and other than that has been average. Williams has had 0 career carries (both in preseason and regular season) with a line of Bahk-Taylor-Linsley-Evans-Bulaga.

Let's give him awhile. His 2nd run versus Seattle was perfect. Got the ball, there was penetration, he jump cut and got 5 yards when there was nothing. 

My fantasy team would say otherwise. I'm 2-0 because of Hunt. :) 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And I'm not necessarily comparing Hunt to Williams. Hunt was a higher draft pick for a reason. The guy was a legit high 2nd rounder until he ran slow at the combine. Just my opinion (call it a hunch) that I think Jones will actually end up being the best back of our '17 class. Hopefully they both turn out. 

I'm a bigger fan of Jones, too.  I have little use for Williams.  And little praise for a RB who avoided a defender who was on the ground in the backfield and ran into the backs of his lineman for a 3-4 yard gain in his second carry.  For as average of a play as that was...his other three were even more forgettable.  

If GB is only going to give the other halfback 2 touches a game, I'd like to see what Jones can do with them.  I'd especially like to see him on a screen pass sometime.

BTW...Monty has been very, very impressive.  Everything you want in a back is there right now.  Hopefully he stays healthy.  If so, wow.

Maybe Williams sucks but he's taken so few carries it just feels like you can't get a read. He's obviously not seeing it. Maybe he's Alex Green. Idk. But that's not my impression. Can't just give him free reps by any means. But he looks like he needs a few to get comfortable before I'll have a feel there.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Have you ever liked a player? I'm hardly even sarcastic at this point. Williams looks bad but this idea you already know seems silly to me.

Last week TJ and Cook. We've moved to Hunt. Hard to win as a GB office when every other pick is someone we missed on.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm a bigger fan of Jones, too.  I have little use for Williams.  And little praise for a RB who avoided a defender who was on the ground in the backfield and ran into the backs of his lineman for a 3-4 yard gain in his second carry.  For as average of a play as that was...his other three were even more forgettable.  

If GB is only going to give the other halfback 2 touches a game, I'd like to see what Jones can do with them.  I'd especially like to see him on a screen pass sometime.

BTW...Monty has been very, very impressive.  Everything you want in a back is there right now.  Hopefully he stays healthy.  If so, wow.

Lost in this to a degree was the fact Ty has played well..I remember one run he had the edge I felt by dove back in. Other than that... Looks the part.

47 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Lost in this to a degree was the fact Ty has played well..I remember one run he had the edge I felt by dove back in. Other than that... Looks the part.

Yeah Monty leads the team in total yards (3rd in receiving), TDs, first downs, and 20+ yard plays

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Maybe Williams sucks but he's taken so few carries it just feels like you can't get a read. He's obviously not seeing it. Maybe he's Alex Green. Idk. But that's not my impression. Can't just give him free reps by any means. But he looks like he needs a few to get comfortable before I'll have a feel there.

I can give you that one.  I too think that whoever the second back is needs more touches to get a rhythm or feel for the game.

The one thing that has surprised me is Williams initial speed.  He does look like a young Starks.  (And that's not a bad thing.)  Fast right away, maybe too fast as he runs into the backs of his blockers darned near right away.

He (Williams) is one of the guys that I'd like to see on a short yardage play.  You know, one where a seam is there and if you hit it right, he's off to the races.  He will hit it quick and be gone.  Then I want to see if anyone can catch him.

Archived