Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I just hope Mac uses the RB that is most proficient at pass pro seeing our tackle situation is a freaking mess.

I don't think this has ever been in the playbook for McCarthy and Rodgers. I don't know who is at fault but either McCarthy doesn't utilize RBs int he passing game or Rodgers just never throws to them. I don't have much hope for it even with the tackles being a mess. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

I don't think this has ever been in the playbook for McCarthy and Rodgers. I don't know who is at fault but either McCarthy doesn't utilize RBs int he passing game or Rodgers just never throws to them. I don't have much hope for it even with the tackles being a mess. 

She wanted the best blocker in that post btw. 

7 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

Anyone know why, or have any theories on why MM doesn't use Ripkowski more often? He used to love Kuhn, and they're very similar.

I just don't think using a FB is as useful as it once was. Everyone loved Kuhn but we were behind the times with FB. I would actually be pissed if he used Rip when they drafted 3 RBs  to play the position. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

I just don't think using a FB is as useful as it once was. Everyone loved Kuhn but we were behind the times with FB. I would actually be pissed if he used Rip when they drafted 3 RBs  to play the position. 

Maybe as a lead blocker yeah, but we used Kuhn for everything, carries, running routes, blocking. 

Fullback was a big part of Shanahan's offense in Atlanta, one of the best of all time, and he ponied up for Kyle Juscyzyk in the offseason.  The fullback is not dead, but you need to have a running game to make the position work.

Similar to how Marty would be way more open if we could run it better, FB would be a more valuable position for us if we could move the ball via the run.

5 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Montgomery leads the team in receptions right now with 18 and is tied for 1st in Targets at 23.  I think they are using the RB in the passing game pretty well.  What Montgomery is doing after the catch is another issue.  He has looked slow and lacks the explosion we've seen last year.  

2 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Montgomery leads the team in receptions right now with 18 and is tied for 1st in Targets at 23.  I think they are using the RB in the passing game pretty well.  What Montgomery is doing after the catch is another issue.  He has looked slow and lacks the explosion we've seen last year.  

Montgomery has 41 carries and 18 receptions.  Just under 20 touches per game.  On pace for 300+ touches.  Just do not see how he will hold up.  Most RB's do not fare well in that workload.  Certainly the receptions are not going to continue at 6/game (would be 96 for the season).  But I would anticipate the carries might increase as the season progresses and the OL gets healthier (knocks on wood).   

Spreading those touches out to the other RB would serve Monty and the team well for the long run.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Montgomery has 41 carries and 18 receptions.  Just under 20 touches per game.  On pace for 300+ touches.  Just do not see how he will hold up.  Most RB's do not fare well in that workload.  Certainly the receptions are not going to continue at 6/game (would be 96 for the season).  But I would anticipate the carries might increase as the season progresses and the OL gets healthier (knocks on wood).   

Spreading those touches out to the other RB would serve Monty and the team well for the long run.

I don't disagree about spreading out the touches.  I'm all for it.  I was just pointing out that it isn't accurate to say they don't use the RBs in the passing game.  He is getting targeted a ton.  Monty is on pace to have 96 receptions and 700 yards receiving.  Last year LeVeon Bell had 75 receptions and 616 yards receiving.  I'd take that production without any rushing yards.  

2 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I don't disagree about spreading out the touches.  I'm all for it.  I was just pointing out that it isn't accurate to say they don't use the RBs in the passing game.  He is getting targeted a ton.  Monty is on pace to have 96 receptions and 700 yards receiving.  Last year LeVeon Bell had 75 receptions and 616 yards receiving.  I'd take that production without any rushing yards.  

I agree with you.  I just do not see Monty holding up well with that volume of work.  300+ touches is a lot for any RB, and 1 with sickle cell trait, that is asking for an issue at some point.  If Monty is limited for a game, then the rookies would have very little in game experience.  Would be nice to get Williams/Jones/Mays some work sooner vs having to thrust them into the action on a full time basis later

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree with you.  I just do not see Monty holding up well with that volume of work.  300+ touches is a lot for any RB, and 1 with sickle cell trait, that is asking for an issue at some point.  If Monty is limited for a game, then the rookies would have very little in game experience.  Would be nice to get Williams/Jones/Mays some work sooner vs having to thrust them into the action on a full time basis later

Fair point but Monty is a pretty big dude.  Using Bell as a comparison, Monty is 9 lbs lighter and an inch shorter.  Bell had 336 touches in 12 games last year.  He already has 65 touches this year.  I think 300 touches is about perfect for a number 1 RB.  Just need the production to be a little better.  

Archived