Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Eh home run hitters like Jones tend to look flashier in preseason. Teams don't tend to be technically sound with all of the players coming in and out so big plays can happen more readily. 

You're going to be pleasantly surprised if you think he's just a home run hitter.  He can grind as well.  He accounted for damn near 50% of UTEPs total offense.  

2 hours ago, Pad Level said:

You're going to be pleasantly surprised if you think he's just a home run hitter.  He can grind as well.  He accounted for damn near 50% of UTEPs total offense.  

He hasn't look like the HR hitter (that I thought he was too) so far. He looks like a pretty good back in between the tackles and finding every yard.

7 hours ago, Pad Level said:

I get that.  I just think that Jones is the perfect back for this team.  Needs a bit of work with the blocking but his skill is superior to the others and it's not close.

I get why you say that, but I think Ty Montgomery could be a dream fit for this offense and Rodgers too. He's capable of being just a weapon. A RB with the route tree skills and hands of a WR. He's the budget version of why I loved McCaffery more than any RB prospect in years. If it all comes together for him, this is a guy that you can use like Marshall Faulk was in that St Louis offense. He is green as a blocker but definitely willing, and he seems to be learning well, so that's a good sign too. I think the worries about him holding up are a bit overstated as well. He's basically the same size as Williams both 6', Montgomery listed 3 lbs heavier (216 vs 213). I am hoping McCarthy uses multiples on offense. Take this position group for example: Nelson, Adams, Bennett, Kendricks, Montgomery. Base thats a single back, 2 TE look. You can flex a TE and make it a 3 WR look, or move Kendricks to FB and make it an I. You can split out Montgomery and give it an empty look with any sort of spread you want. You can line up and shift many different directions to get the D to telegraph their coverages pre snap as well. Imagine what Rodgers can do with reads like that in a hurry up setting.

I'm salivating thinking about the possibilities if everyone comes together.

edit: Jones is probably the best pure runner on the team right now. I agree on that.

I'm not comfortable with the RB position and I haven't loved anyone we've had during the Thompson era. But it's better than it has been. Montgomery is obviously talented but I question how he'll hold up. The young guys behind him to me are just guys. I don't see a long term difference-maker but they're all tough, solid football players who do enough all-around. 

6 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I'm not comfortable with the RB position and I haven't loved anyone we've had during the Thompson era. But it's better than it has been. Montgomery is obviously talented but I question how he'll hold up. The young guys behind him to me are just guys. I don't see a long term difference-maker but they're all tough, solid football players who do enough all-around. 

This is the perfect offense for Montgomery. McCarthy only runs the ball 12 times a game. ?

9 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

This is the perfect offense for Montgomery. McCarthy only runs the ball 12 times a game. ?

Indeed. I'm holding out hope Montgomery can be a reliable guy. Within the framework of our offense how we brought in additional RB's made sense. Take advantage of a historically deep group and bring in multiple bodies on the third day. I wish we had a different set-up offensively with more of a run focus but what do I know and this stuff is complicated. 

On 9/1/2017 at 6:31 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

I wish we had a different set-up offensively with more of a run focus but what do I know and this stuff is complicated. 

I think we might see a little better running game with the addition of Bennett this year, both as the lone TE and paired with Kendricks

Here's an in-depth write up on Bennett and what he brings to the running game from Football Outsiders (written last year when he went to NE).  GB hasn't had a good blocking TE for awhile

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-martellus-bennett

Marty & Monty on the field together is gonna be tough to defend

On 9/1/2017 at 8:31 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

Indeed. I'm holding out hope Montgomery can be a reliable guy. Within the framework of our offense how we brought in additional RB's made sense. Take advantage of a historically deep group and bring in multiple bodies on the third day. I wish we had a different set-up offensively with more of a run focus but what do I know and this stuff is complicated. 

I like Monty in our fast paced offense ... don't like him as much when it comes to gringing out clock in a hard fought game.  I think the Packers might struggle in that department this year.  Bennett will surely help though.

Despite Williams already showing to be an all-around solid RB, it's still a position with some of the most question marks on the team.

That may be one of the larger reasons why 4 RBs and 1 FB still remain on the roster.  Normally 3 RBs is more than enough.

I think Montgomery is showing promise as a lead back.

I also think there is a dire need for another RB to effectively spell Ty every now and again and I don't mean just Rip coming in as a 6th OLineman on obvious passing downs.

What exactly does Jamal Williams bring to the table? He has not exhibited speed or quickness, does not seem very elusive, and has decent but not exceptional size so he does not really overpower anyone. He also has not shown much vision when it comes to finding the hole. I recall seeing him catch a few balls from Hundley in the preseason, but throwing to a back is not really ARod's game. The best that can be said about Williams is he seems like a sure-handed non-fumbler who knows his assignments. 

I'd love to see Jones get some touches, but I suspect he has a higher risk/reward quotient than does Williams so the coaches are more comfortable going with the safer bet. In any event, I don't want to see Ty get worn down and am really hoping one of the three running backs selected in the last draft emerge to give him some rest.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I think Montgomery is showing promise as a lead back.

I also think there is a dire need for another RB to effectively spell Ty every now and again and I don't mean just Rip coming in as a 6th OLineman on obvious passing downs.

What exactly does Jamal Williams bring to the table? He has not exhibited speed or quickness, does not seem very elusive, and has decent but not exceptional size so he does not really overpower anyone. He also has not shown much vision when it comes to finding the hole. I recall seeing him catch a few balls from Hundley in the preseason, but throwing to a back is not really ARod's game. The best that can be said about Williams is he seems like a sure-handed non-fumbler who knows his assignments. 

I'd love to see Jones get some touches, but I suspect he has a higher risk/reward quotient than does Williams so the coaches are more comfortable going with the safer bet. In any event, I don't want to see Ty get worn down and am really hoping one of the three running backs selected in the last draft emerge to give him some rest.

Yea, I'd be all for seeing Jones in real action. Williams needs to learn to run with his head up and let the play develop without just running into a pile. 

Archived