Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

On 11/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, NormSizedMidget said:

How did you feel about him coming out of the draft btw

Honestly, I was kind of meh. Not really high on my board and feel the same way now. I thought he would be just a guy and I think that’s him. 

Too bad Mays can’t hang onto the dang ball!

• 2 weeks later...

From today's presser:

Packers RB coach Ben Sirmans says "not every RB gets stronger late in games with more carries, but Jamaal Williams seems to be one of those runners". He says Williams "deserves" to keep getting carries when Aaron Jones returns.

From Palmy's post- draft review last year:

J. Williams: "Nothing sexy about Williams but he has everything ya need/want other than the top gear. I do hope they'll put a few more pounds on that long frame though. There is no reason he can't handle another 10 pounds or so and it will help the body hold up a great deal. I'm sure he'll close out more than his share of games in Green Bay. That style needs reps to truly shine though. Very nice set to have in the room with Monty and Jones. They all have their place. Williams is not a special talent but it"s hard to ask for a better fit in just about every way. Truth be told we felt Green Bay was taking Williams with that Biegel pick. Push for me in terms of where I had him on my board but a GREAT fit in Green Bay IMO."

I don't have a lot of bad to say about McCarthy this year, but his usage of Montgomery was some of the most underwhelming nonsense I've ever seen. Would it kill you to use him on any route other than a screen or a middle curl checkdown? McCaffrey and Kamara are running far more complete route trees as rookies. I get we've got an offensive identity and that a RB as a primary option isn't high on that list, but damn did that show a lack of creativity this year.

Jones and Williams look like a good enough duo going forward, but neither have any route skills. It would be nice to get Montgomery as a receiving threat. 

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't have a lot of bad to say about McCarthy this year, but his usage of Montgomery was some of the most underwhelming nonsense I've ever seen. Would it kill you to use him on any route other than a screen or a middle curl checkdown? McCaffrey and Kamara are running far more complete route trees as rookies. I get we've got an offensive identity and that a RB as a primary option isn't high on that list, but damn did that show a lack of creativity this year.

Jones and Williams look like a good enough duo going forward, but neither have any route skills. It would be nice to get Montgomery as a receiving threat. 

Do you see him as a possible replacement for Cobb in the slot in 2018?

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Do you see him as a possible replacement for Cobb in the slot in 2018?

He's not to my taste in the slot. He just doesn't have the wheels or the height to stand out there. On the plus side, he's smart and tough which go a long way in that spot. 

The biggest issue I've got with Montgomery at the moment is that Montgomery showed me absolutely zero "make you miss" ability this year. What the hell good is a scat back with mediocre wheels who goes down on first contact?

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Could not agree more.  It seemed that MM was so determined to prove that Monty could make the switch to RB, he forgot what Monty's best assets would be (in theory) in that role.

I think everything about this team sucks at getting running backs involved in the passing game.  Rodgers has literally pump-faked enough times to call the literally part into question if I actually knew the exact number of times he pump faked to a wide open running back.  Pretty sure it was Starks and I'll never be able to get the play out of my head.  When they replayed it, it wasn't like the angle prevented me from seeing somebody covering Starks.  There wasn't, yet Aaron pump faked about a billion times as if he thought somebody would come up to cover Starks so he could throw it elsewhere.  It's like the only time he will throw to a running back is if the play is specifically designed that way.  Against the Bengals, Montgomery had 8 catches for 15 yards.  Total.  What the hell?  Only way that happens is if you suck at throwing to the RB. 

Or maybe I'm just sensitive to it because I remember how good Favre was at throwing to running backs.  Adrian Peterson had a career high 43 receptions that first year with Favre and that wasn't a coincidence.  The one area Favre was always underrated was his touch on throwing to running backs.  He practically invented the shovel pass popularity by improvising, he had the absolute best touch and timing with screen passes.  I miss that aspect and I wish Aaron and McCarthy weren't so bad at using it. 

It's the biggest reason I thought McCaffrey would be an lol style waste here.  Dude's got 59 receptions so far on the year.  I would be surprised if he had 30 with us even with a healthy Rodgers. 

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think everything about this team sucks at getting running backs involved in the passing game.  Rodgers has literally pump-faked enough times to call the literally part into question if I actually knew the exact number of times he pump faked to a wide open running back.  Pretty sure it was Starks and I'll never be able to get the play out of my head.  When they replayed it, it wasn't like the angle prevented me from seeing somebody covering Starks.  There wasn't, yet Aaron pump faked about a billion times as if he thought somebody would come up to cover Starks so he could throw it elsewhere. 

I agree that Rodgers ignoring guys who are open short is part of the problem.  Could be MM doesn't put much effort into designing routes for RB's because of that, but if that's true, I see that as a failure on MM's part.  Rodgers may be the best QB in the league, but it in MM's job description to keep Rodgers within the design of the offense.  Monty was well suited to take on a dual-threat role, but GB never even made the attempt.  That's on MM.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I agree that Rodgers ignoring guys who are open short is part of the problem.  Could be MM doesn't put much effort into designing routes for RB's because of that, but if that's true, I see that as a failure on MM's part.  Rodgers may be the best QB in the league, but it in MM's job description to keep Rodgers within the design of the offense.  Monty was well suited to take on a dual-threat role, but GB never even made the attempt.  That's on MM.

There are routes for AR to take early and underneath though. What's Mike supposed to do? Run 5 underneath routes? I know people hate this but I get the impression Aaron thinks he's above Mike and really doesn't "want" to listen to him. I joke all the time, Mike isn't controlling him with an Xbox controller. Aaron is gonna be Aaron.

Mike used him like that early. I really believe he wanted to. Why wouldn't he...

Archived