Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

49 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And then we've kinda got the world's greatest quarterback creating boxes a little lighter than what's typical, too. 

I think it's more the concept about taking pressure off of Aaron rather than what Aaron can or can't do.  Having a quality running game opens up things in the passing game, because defenses can't just sit back 8 players in coverage and force Aaron to play conservatively.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think it's more the concept about taking pressure off of Aaron rather than what Aaron can or can't do.  Having a quality running game opens up things in the passing game, because defenses can't just sit back 8 players in coverage and force Aaron to play conservatively.

Yes, but having A rushing threat is good enough.  Montgomery and at least one of our backs will be good enough. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, but having A rushing threat is good enough.  Montgomery and at least one of our backs will be good enough. 

But you're assuming that Montgomery stays healthy and/or the rookies don't have so many issues in pass protection that McCarthy can't afford to play them.  Then you're relying on Rip to be our running game.

Just now, CWood21 said:

But you're assuming that Montgomery stays healthy and/or the rookies don't have so many issues in pass protection that McCarthy can't afford to play them.  Then you're relying on Rip to be our running game.

If Montgomery isn't healthy, we've got Jamaal Williams.  I'm confident he can average enough to keep defenses honest.  I'd suspect Ripkowski is going to be in most often when it comes to pass protection anyway, so I don't see any loss there compared to last year.  Basically, the way I see it, we're better off at running back than we were at the start of our winning streak last year, and running back/pass protection is not what held that team back.  Therefore, considering we've gotten better at every other position group or stayed the same (or marginally worse at guard), I don't see the need to worry about the running game for this season.  At all. 

I'm fine with the runningback situation (I think, at least. a lot of "potential" but I think RB's are easy to find and they added enough this year) but I wish the offense would put less of an emphasis on keeping Ty in the backfield in obvious passing situations and use him in the open field more. He may improve as a blocker this year but they really put him in bad spots last year 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If Montgomery isn't healthy, we've got Jamaal Williams.  I'm confident he can average enough to keep defenses honest.  I'd suspect Ripkowski is going to be in most often when it comes to pass protection anyway, so I don't see any loss there compared to last year.  Basically, the way I see it, we're better off at running back than we were at the start of our winning streak last year, and running back/pass protection is not what held that team back.  Therefore, considering we've gotten better at every other position group or stayed the same (or marginally worse at guard), I don't see the need to worry about the running game for this season.  At all. 

My issue with Jamaal isn't his running ability, in fact I think I said he was the most natural runner of all of our RBs.  But he was miserable in pass protection, and not from a lack of effort.  The guy legitimately doesn't know how to square his body up, and too often he's lunging or reaching for a defender.  It's awful.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

My issue with Jamaal isn't his running ability, in fact I think I said he was the most natural runner of all of our RBs.  But he was miserable in pass protection, and not from a lack of effort.  The guy legitimately doesn't know how to square his body up, and too often he's lunging or reaching for a defender.  It's awful.

I've never seen this. I watched a few games of his and I watched out for the pass blocking specifically. I never really had an issue, and never with technique. I'm not going to say he's Zeke Elliot, but he rated out pretty damn high there in my eyes.

Blocking at in the backfield is about want to, and I've seen plenty of want to from Williams. Not saying he's going to be B-Jax, but I think he's going to impress for a rookie, lord knows he's not going to be Monty back there. Talk about overwhelmed.  

Ty is going to have a great season. I think anyone with concerns about his workhorse ability will change their tune after the season ends. He's working out with the Footwork King, he's talked specifically about pass protection being key for him, and he's said that he's much more comfortable now and he "sees the game better". He's going to be better than Lacy ever was. 

I really like Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones too. Our RB position looks strong. Not concerned at all, in fact very excited 

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Blocking at in the backfield is about want to, and I've seen plenty of want to from Williams. Not saying he's going to be B-Jax, but I think he's going to impress for a rookie, lord knows he's not going to be Monty back there. Talk about overwhelmed.  

"You want to see the young guys stick their nose in there," McCarthy said. "It's a drill you can’t do enough of, and this is the time of year to do it."

This offensive line, more so than in past years, suggests that we will be more balanced running the football.  I believe Montgomery can be good for 12-15 touches per game.  Touches, not runs.

I think that leaves 10-15 carries for the rest of the backs in most scenarios.  Williams seems like the logical closer for when we are winning, and I'd expect Jones to be mostly a Monty backup/change of pace guy.  Mays is the x-factor who could usurp the Williams projected role, or could prove more efficient than Monty by season's end.  There needs to be a true TC competition, and a rushing/RB game plan specific for each defense we face.  There are enough different backs of approx comparable talent level that I don't think we'll see a clear lead guy.

This offense at its best produces big rushing games, which are a symptom of Rodgers and the passing attack.  It's gonna take Mac and Rodgers to believe and remember, and it'll take someone more than just Monty to make that happen.

On 7/30/2017 at 2:01 PM, CWood21 said:

THIS. So much this. 

Not only did he look bad when I charted him, but others I trust have noted the same thing. 

He was dead last in pass protection rate among the Top 15 RBs in the 2017 Draft Class. 

3 hours ago, Cadmus said:

THIS. So much this. 

Not only did he look bad when I charted him, but others I trust have noted the same thing. 

He was dead last in pass protection rate among the Top 15 RBs in the 2017 Draft Class. 

We're talking about Jamaal Williams, the rookie from BYU?

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1 Game does not make a season, and I already watched the MSU game so I'm not going to watch it again.  

It's something that came to my attention more than once when I watched JW. 

On the other hand... did anyone else realize that Devante Mays can actually catch the ball? 

Archived