Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

8 hours ago, justo said:

Hard for me to imagine that this team won't transition to Jamaal Williams sooner rather than later. All the word out of camp is that Ty Montgomery still struggled in pass protection. I didn't really see much of an improvement in the first preseason game. That's a big worry there. Green Bay's not spending all that money/assets on offensive tackles just to have Aaron Rodgers sacked because a former receiver isn't able to hang in pass protection.

Not one to do this usually but they should sign Ryan Mathews when the Iggles cut his *** later today

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Don't look at their careers.  Their careers are hardly relevant as compared to their past 1-2 years of play and what happened in the offseason.  Evans was cut by seattle, then played fine in NO, then signed a very modest deal to play here.

Lang signed one of the biggest FA contracts this offseason, and played really well the past 2 years.  It's gonna be a huge dropoff.  All pro to passable starter type dropoff.

They're guards, there's no such thing as a "huge" dropoff at guard. That's why Ted doesn't pay them. The run game is the only place I suspect we see anything and the addition of a TE that can block and a healthier Corey Linsley might offset that.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Don't look at their careers.  Their careers are hardly relevant as compared to their past 1-2 years of play and what happened in the offseason.  Evans was cut by seattle, then played fine in NO, then signed a very modest deal to play here.

Lang signed one of the biggest FA contracts this offseason, and played really well the past 2 years.  It's gonna be a huge dropoff.  All pro to passable starter type dropoff.

Sorry, I still respectfully disagree.  Even a declining Evans is not going to be a "huge dropoff" from the banged up Lang of last year.  As stated, possibly you will see it a little in the run game, but last year I didn't see Lang move a whole lot anyway.

And again, Lang was never All Pro.  That was Evans.  4 times.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

there's no such thing as a "huge" dropoff at guard

sure there is.  They might be slightly marginalized in this offense relative to a more run-heavy one, but guards are still valued higher than center only prospects, and Lang can/has get you out of a game at T because he is so athletic.  He was the best run blocking player on the team by far.  And since this is a Running (back) thread, we are talking about the run game.

On the passing side, defenses can still exploit a weak player at G, and they can certainly exploit a weak C-G combo.  As teams use their DEs to rush to a certain depth and keep Rodgers in the pocket, Gs are put in a position to fail.  That is the recipe for success vs the GB offense, and there won't be nearly as many 7 second protection TD passes without a stud like Lang.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

And again, Lang was never All Pro.  That was Evans.  4 times.

who cares?  Charles Woodson was all pro, and we let him leave because he was old.  2 teams have already done this with Evans.  I consider Lang to be an all-pro level G, whether he won the popularity contest or not.  Evans has just the same injury risk as Lang in this stage of his career.  The dropoff I'm interested in is not Lang from last year... it's Lang this year, and it's entirely based around the running game since this is a Running (back) thread.  

My response was to a prior post who said that Lang was All Pro.  He has never been an All Pro.  Evans was.  4 times.  

In your mind, Lang may have been playing at an All Pro level, but that fact is that he was not.  And never had been.

And as far as moving Lang to tackle?  Yah, the club tried that with pretty poor results.  He failed at tackle and flipped inside.  He was an emergency tackle in as much as Guion was an emergency guard.  Kind of "break glass in case of emergency" move.

5 hours ago, ugLymayNe said:

Not one to do this usually but they should sign Ryan Mathews when the Iggles cut his *** later today

The most injury prone player ever coming to the team where everybody gets hurt, how is that going to end? Maybe like a double negative, cancel each other out or something.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

My response was to a prior post who said that Lang was All Pro.  He has never been an All Pro.  Evans was.  4 times.  

In your mind, Lang may have been playing at an All Pro level, but that fact is that he was not.  And never had been.

And as far as moving Lang to tackle?  Yah, the club tried that with pretty poor results.  He failed at tackle and flipped inside.  He was an emergency tackle in as much as Guion was an emergency guard.  Kind of "break glass in case of emergency" move.

Yeah but Lang has played LT and DT...can't replace that.

I disagree with the notion that Lang has a better career. I agree the drop off will be noticeable.

Archived