Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Maybe not Williams bad but isn't that pretty typical these days?

Some guys never turn it around, some do. I will always trust a guy who seems to care about it, even if he sucked caring in college lol. 

LIS, most college backs aren't very good in pass pro so it's not something I come out expecting him to play lights out in that facet of the game.  It's the fact that he was active in pass pro, and still was miserable in it.  And I'm hoping that bodes well that he'll develop into a good pass protector because of effort, but not something I'm really holding out for.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LIS, most college backs aren't very good in pass pro so it's not something I come out expecting him to play lights out in that facet of the game.  It's the fact that he was active in pass pro, and still was miserable in it.  And I'm hoping that bodes well that he'll develop into a good pass protector because of effort, but not something I'm really holding out for.

Yeah we posted like at the same time I think.

I'm with you there on him and all that college part. I'm taking your guy's word on how bad he was though. I didn't ever seen enough to form a big opinion.

3 hours ago, CentralFC said:

It's not ability, it's his body, and whether he can handle a bell-cow workload (he can't). Look at his carries per game down the stretch in 2016 post-Lacy going on the IR. It's disconcerting. Is he a valuable weapon in a league that's matchup-oriented? Yes, 100 percent, and a damn lethal one at that. Especially with an extra year to develop vision, strength, etc. But will he ever be featured? No. Our drafting three running backs, coupled with his known health concerns, proves that IMO. 

again, I don't know where you guys are getting this notion he "can't" handle a huge workload. last year he was a converted wide receiver. it doesn't make any sense to give a guy in that circumstance a full workload right off the bat when he is just learning a new position. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/39363/footwork-king-helps-ty-montgomery-go-all-in-with-running-back-training

look at his body now. he's had a whole offseason learning how to be a running back, shaping his body to handle the rigors of the position. he's 222 lbs right now. I guess i'm interpreting all of this differently, but I think GB intends to feature him. 

drafting 3 running backs doesn't "prove" your point. we had literally no depth chart at running back. Lacy gone to Seattle. Starks out. Michael gone. Don Jackson adios. Crockett byebye. these day 3 picks at running back don't indicate to me that the staff doesn't trust Ty being the guy. they were filling out a depth chart at a very thin position. Mays is likely a practice squad guy, anyway. at this point, i envision carrying 5 backs onto the roster: Monty/Williams/Jones/Rip/Kerridge 

36 minutes ago, persiandud said:

again, I don't know where you guys are getting this notion he "can't" handle a huge workload. last year he was a converted wide receiver. it doesn't make any sense to give a guy in that circumstance a full workload right off the bat when he is just learning a new position. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/39363/footwork-king-helps-ty-montgomery-go-all-in-with-running-back-training

look at his body now. he's had a whole offseason learning how to be a running back, shaping his body to handle the rigors of the position. he's 222 lbs right now. I guess i'm interpreting all of this differently, but I think GB intends to feature him. 

drafting 3 running backs doesn't "prove" your point. we had literally no depth chart at running back. Lacy gone to Seattle. Starks out. Michael gone. Don Jackson adios. Crockett byebye. these day 3 picks at running back don't indicate to me that the staff doesn't trust Ty being the guy. they were filling out a depth chart at a very thin position. Mays is likely a practice squad guy, anyway. at this point, i envision carrying 5 backs onto the roster: Monty/Williams/Jones/Rip/Kerridge 

Have to agree here. McCarthy has been adamant that Ty is our number 1 guy, the guy had to literally transition to being a WR to a RB mid year, the load he had to take last year compared to what his body is probably right now is night and day, I think he will be able to handle it way better than last year.

16 hours ago, persiandud said:

Some here are concerned about Ty's known sickle cell trait. At high altitude or in extreme exertion conditions, carrying this trait can cause blood cells to sickle, which cuts off blood supply to muscles and organs and can be fatal. Ty had to miss a game last season due to the effects of this condition. I had posted earlier in this thread about not being too concerned, though with more reading since, it seems you cannot "train out" of this kind of thing. HOWEVER, we don't have any high altitude or extremely hot climate games this year, so I'm hopeful that it won't have much of an effect. It does mean, however, than he may be on a "pitch count," and he will have to be attuned to his body and, if having symptoms, will need to be taken out of the game for his own health and well being and to try to mitigate the sickling of his red blood cells.

I'm also going to go on record saying that Montgomery's body isn't going to change much. You can't change the frame (without Mike Neal'ing it). Montgomery's body has always been rocked out. They had problems with him at Stanford getting too jacked up and losing speed. He's always had a running back's body. That and his inability to track it deep were his two biggest limiting factors as a receiver prospect. He's got a tweener body, leave him in the tweener role for as long as it remains effective.

Well until a back can pass block they won't see the field. McCarthy just won't put them out there, he won't sacrifice Rodgers' safety for a better running skill set. For the past decade it has been the best pass blockers get the reps, McCarthy has shown he trusts Ty in that role, Williams is the only back besides Rip that looks to take anything more then 3-4 reps.

On 8/2/2017 at 4:39 PM, persiandud said:

Oof. That's a big fat L for a few folks in here...

Not at all.

It's not like I said he was the worst pass-blocking RB I've ever seen.

He didn't grade well in one analyst's pass protection metric, which was based off a 5 game sample in 2016. 

Alternatively, he graded very well based on PFF (again, take that with a huge grain of salt). Personally, I felt that he was closer to the bottom than the top of the class in terms of pass protection, but I never said he was the worst. 

My three biggest issues with him were 1) Inability to slide in an efficient manner (just seemed to be a lot of wasted movement) to pick up a blocker (which I attribute to the fact he's a rather linear athlete), 2) Inability to sustain blocks (there were multiple instances where he'd initiate some sort of contact, but the opposing player would slide of his block almost immediately), and that second issue was primarily a product of what CWood alluded to earlier: 3) Poor blocking technique (he would often overextend and he will end up on the ground more often than not if he continues that in the NFL IMHO). 

These were all just flags that showed up more than once when I was watching him a few months ago. How will he perform in the NFL? Who knows, but I'm not as optimistic as others. 

7 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Well until a back can pass block they won't see the field. McCarthy just won't put them out there, he won't sacrifice Rodgers' safety for a better running skill set. For the past decade it has been the best pass blockers get the reps, McCarthy has shown he trusts Ty in that role, Williams is the only back besides Rip that looks to take anything more then 3-4 reps.

Montgomery is an awful pass blocker. They played Montgomery frequently last year. 

40 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Not at all.

It's not like I said he was the worst pass-blocking RB I've ever seen.

He didn't grade well in one analyst's pass protection metric, which was based off a 5 game sample in 2016. 

Alternatively, he graded very well based on PFF (again, take that with a huge grain of salt). Personally, I felt that he was closer to the bottom than the top of the class in terms of pass protection, but I never said he was the worst. 

My three biggest issues with him were 1) Inability to slide in an efficient manner (just seemed to be a lot of wasted movement) to pick up a blocker (which I attribute to the fact he's a rather linear athlete), 2) Inability to sustain blocks (there were multiple instances where he'd initiate some sort of contact, but the opposing player would slide of his block almost immediately), and that second issue was primarily a product of what CWood alluded to earlier: 3) Poor blocking technique (he would often overextend and he will end up on the ground more often than not if he continues that in the NFL IMHO). 

These were all just flags that showed up more than once when I was watching him a few months ago. How will he perform in the NFL? Who knows, but I'm not as optimistic as others. 

He's a RB. There's no such thing as style points in blitz pickup. 

On 8/2/2017 at 4:39 PM, persiandud said:

Oof. That's a big fat L for a few folks in here...

I'm not really sure a fluff piece from PackersNews.net really puts a "fat L" on anyone.  LIS, you can put the same tape on for a dozen different scouts and come away with a dozen different opinions.  Perhaps this weekend I'll break one of the games down that I had issues with Jamaal Williams' pass protection.

Archived