Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

Brees was a garbage time hero for a lot of years when the Aints couldn't play defense. Lots of easy Stats

He has 34 TDs, 12 INTs in 16 postseason games.

41 year old QB gets sacked and fumbles the ball, all of a sudden career is overrated.

• Like 1

Context matters.

Statistically? His career cannot be refuted and thus he is not overrated.

In relation to all-time greats? Impossible to say because of rule changes and different situations.

In relation to his peers? I do think a little bit. I would take Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson over him - speaking career and prime. I would take him above Favre, Roethlisberger, and Rivers though.

QBs in general are all overrated though. 

Edited by Duluther
  • Like 6

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

He has 34 TDs, 12 INTs in 16 postseason games.

41 year old QB gets sacked and fumbles the ball, all of a sudden career is overrated.

I didn’t mean to say he’s overrated. I just asked a question as it pertains to many fans considering him top 10 of all time due to his stats 

3 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Context matters.

In relation to all-time greats? Impossible to say because of rule changes and different situations.

In relation to his peers? I do think a little bit. I would take care Ton Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson over him - speaking career and prime. I would take him above Favre, Roethlisberger, and Rivers though.

This is a fair take IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Context matters.

In relation to his peers? I do think a little bit. I would take care Ton Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Russell Wilson over him - speaking career and prime. I would take him above Favre, Roethlisberger, and Rivers though.

Favre was of the Era where qb could be abused though...

Favre is in the Aikman, Elway, Marino, and Young school

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Those guys aren’t widely considered Top 10 of all time 

Steve Young is. A whole portion of the NFL community spent the better part of the middle of this decade arguing for Aaron Rodgers as the GOAT with 1 superbowl win.

Even if you want to blame 2018 (NFCCG on him) now because Danielle Hunter made an amazing play, Marcus William couldn't make a routine tackle in 2017; and Vernon Davis made the catch III Brees is overrated? Brees was v. poor today by his standard, but has generally been an excellent post-season QB.

Even Peyton Manning, Top 3 QB of all time has some disgusting playoff game logs and performances. Would you hold that against him?

Tom Brady has people thinking every QB needs to get there every year. It's not that easy.

• Like 2

Just now, Vladimir L said:

Favre was of the Era where qb could be abused though...

Favre is in the Aikman, Elway, Marino, and Young school

Favre had more years that overlapped with Brees than with any of those guys but perhaps Young. 

But the majority of Favre’s noteworthy career was from the pre-2004 rules change era, so sure.

4 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Guy wins though and has been in a lot of close games

he is no scrub nor avg..

he is no kirk cousins or matt ryan

I view him and Matt Ryan similarly. Dome players who put up nice stats in perfect weather conditions but can’t singlehandedly will a team to Victoria ala Russel Wilson, etc.

and unlike Brees, Ryan has won the MVP.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy