GDT: Still kind of America’s Team at Ravens

titans0021

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Just talking,

Who would be ok with a Bernard Pollard type hit on Lamar early to "send a message."

I can't imagine this going well.  It's going to galvanize the Ravens and Lamar isn't going to back down unless the hit actually injures him.  Not to mention the flag-happy refs will be throwing all the flags they can at us if we start teeing off on the MVP.

Having said that, with the trickery of the RPO plays, I think it's inevitable that we're going to have multiple chances to lay him out juuuuuuuust after he handed off.  I'm trying to mentally prepare for three roughing penalties already to keep drives alive.  In my book, if you're that good at faking where the ball is going, you can't cry when a defender assumes you have it and hits you.  But that's not the way the refs will see it.

I think it was last year or maybe the year before Miami game?? we lost Marcus to injury when a player purposely hit Marcus after a hand off.  Knowing he didn’t have the ball NO FLAG.   That injury killed that season for us. I never want to see a player “try” to hurt some one but just as Henry discourages cb from trying to make tackles as the game goes on we need to get their QB reluctant to try and run the ball.
Players on the D just need focus on their assignments and not over commit and hopefully we can contain their run game

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Just talking,

Who would be ok with a Bernard Pollard type hit on Lamar early to "send a message."

This is exactly what I would be thinking if I am the Titans. You know the Ravens will be hitting hard. Need to as well. Lamar Jackson is not easy to get your hands on but if I am the Titans I am trying to hit him hard so he doesn't want to get back up. Know that may not sound pleasant but that is the mentality the Titans need to have. Make him think about running so much.

Nobody expects the Titans to win. Titans can win it won't be easy though. It is going to come down to who has the bigger game. Henry or Jackson.

On a side note not liking the smugness of some of these Ravens fans especially one who finds his way on here hoping we will sing the praises of a Ravens fan gracing us with his presence. Hope he enjoys Jackson because I bet he has maybe 3 more seasons of play like this if he keeps running so much. Also eventually it gets figured out so can't wait to see that regression. Could even be this weekend.

Titan Up!

I am never here for any illegal or dirty hits. Intentionally trying to take a guy out of the game is never not disgusting and wrong.

but to win this game, we are going to have to hit Lamar and make sure he feels us. That doesn’t mean play dirty, but if we get a chance to cleanly lay the wood  and stay within the rules, we need to be able to let him know it’s gonna be a long 60 minutes. But that’s with any QB.

theres nothing wrong with trying to send a message with a big, legal hit. That #8 jersey needs to be filthy dirty by the end of the game if we want a chance at winning 

Dear Titan Fans, 

Do not sign Tannehil to a contract and we will release Derek Carr, former Top 3 MVP candidate, for your consideration. 

Strengths:

- Throwing 3 yards to TE/RB on 3rd and 9

- Taking care of the football and making sure to never look beyond 10 yards. 

- Crying, actual tears after a hard sack. 

- Telling the media throwing deep more than once per game is dumb because defenses are smart. 

- Talks religion all off season and not football. 

- If a defensive linemen comes within 18 yards, he will dance and stop his progressions. 

- Cannot extend a play with his legs, but he can zero in on the checkdown route like a laser beam to avoid a sack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Dear Titan Fans, 

Do not sign Tannehil to a contract and we will release Derek Carr, former Top 3 MVP candidate, for your consideration. 

Strengths:

- Throwing 3 yards to TE/RB on 3rd and 9

- Taking care of the football and making sure to never look beyond 10 yards. 

- Crying, actual tears after a hard sack. 

- Telling the media throwing deep more than once per game is dumb because defenses are smart. 

- Talks religion all off season and not football. 

- If a defensive linemen comes within 18 yards, he will dance and stop his progressions. 

- Cannot extend a play with his legs, but he can zero in on the checkdown route like a laser beam to avoid a sack. 

- Throws the ball away on 4th down when losing with the game on the line.

Ahh you forgot an important one, I added it in there for ya

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

The 17-10 Carr vs Mariota battles will be missed. 

Really is crazy how these guys’ careers mirrored one another. Wonder what would have happened if neither broke their legs...now both teams are looking to move on in 2020

I read this thread and thought I could bring up some nuances to the discussion.

First and foremost, I think you guys should not put too much emphasis in the NFL Gen thread. As well as Ravens board has some characters, you guys have 2-3 guys who also think it is more fun to make provocative statements rather than discussing the game.

With that said, Ravens as a fanbase understand so much more the position the Titans are in. We had Flacco and a run game and a sometimes stingy defense that stumpled into the playoffs. No one ever thought much of us, and we went with the underdog role and made the best of it.

Most Ravens fans acknowledge that Titans can provide the upset, despite Ravens finishing the season strong after a 2-2 opening, us being relatively healthy, having a bye, having a home field advantage and all that.

If you guys can make Henry get those runs to the outside, Ravens are vulnerable in that regard. It has been pointed out, that it is not as much a zone run to the outside, but rather just the Ravens not being able to set the edge properly and fill gaps. A guy in here pointed towards the Bills game, that was indeed ended by a red zone pass break up, that would have given Bills the victory (most likely).

A thing that is a misconception though is the statement, that Lamar doesn’t see the field very well. That is not true, and he is actually quite capable of scanning the field and go through his reads, especially if he has a clean pocket and can make throws from the pocket.

What he does though, is he keys in on Andrews too often. I believe it is because Lamar knows, that Andrews will break free from coverage, which means he misses an open read that could have gone for a bigger gain. Lamar doesn’t make many throws on outs or passes deep down the sideline, which is something I think the Titans should take advantage of with their coverages. Lamar prefers to throw to the middle of the field, so giving Byard an opportunity to start from a deep safety spot and then come down to break up passes across the middle or pick off passes would make a lot of sense and then roll coverage from either a safety or cornerback to cover the deep middle and sidelines.

Keeping lamar in the pocket to pass is not the way to go either, he actually prefers that and it is a misconception, that he likes to roll out and make throws on the move. This is actually a thing where he struggles from time to time, so if especially Simmons can bully over Mekari or you can have a guy go across Bozemans face to flush Lamar out of the pocket and still contain him and prevent him from running, there are some chances you can force incompletions if he have to throw on the move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I read this thread and thought I could bring up some nuances to the discussion.

First and foremost, I think you guys should not put too much emphasis in the NFL Gen thread. As well as Ravens board has some characters, you guys have 2-3 guys who also think it is more fun to make provocative statements rather than discussing the game.

With that said, Ravens as a fanbase understand so much more the position the Titans are in. We had Flacco and a run game and a sometimes stingy defense that stumpled into the playoffs. No one ever thought much of us, and we went with the underdog role and made the best of it.

Most Ravens fans acknowledge that Titans can provide the upset, despite Ravens finishing the season strong after a 2-2 opening, us being relatively healthy, having a bye, having a home field advantage and all that.

If you guys can make Henry get those runs to the outside, Ravens are vulnerable in that regard. It has been pointed out, that it is not as much a zone run to the outside, but rather just the Ravens not being able to set the edge properly and fill gaps. A guy in here pointed towards the Bills game, that was indeed ended by a red zone pass break up, that would have given Bills the victory (most likely).

A thing that is a misconception though is the statement, that Lamar doesn’t see the field very well. That is not true, and he is actually quite capable of scanning the field and go through his reads, especially if he has a clean pocket and can make throws from the pocket.

What he does though, is he keys in on Andrews too often. I believe it is because Lamar knows, that Andrews will break free from coverage, which means he misses an open read that could have gone for a bigger gain. Lamar doesn’t make many throws on outs or passes deep down the sideline, which is something I think the Titans should take advantage of with their coverages. Lamar prefers to throw to the middle of the field, so giving Byard an opportunity to start from a deep safety spot and then come down to break up passes across the middle or pick off passes would make a lot of sense and then roll coverage from either a safety or cornerback to cover the deep middle and sidelines.

Keeping lamar in the pocket to pass is not the way to go either, he actually prefers that and it is a misconception, that he likes to roll out and make throws on the move. This is actually a thing where he struggles from time to time, so if especially Simmons can bully over Mekari or you can have a guy go across Bozemans face to flush Lamar out of the pocket and still contain him and prevent him from running, there are some chances you can force incompletions if he have to throw on the move.

Yeah, I think taking Andrews out should be one of the priorities. Having Byard on him, or Ryan, when the play allows it, should help take care of it. I'd like to force Jackson to start looking outside the numbers for passing options.

I could also add, that while some have made fun of the use of Mariotta as Lamar Jackson in practice, it is because they are missing the point.

Jackson can't be simulated when he runs, but that doesn't matter much in practice where you can't tackle. The big thing is the read and understanding of how to attack Jackson/Ingram/Edwards at the mess point, where Lamar decides whether to keep the ball or handing it off. He hold it very long to make the defender commit, and that is something Mariotta can simulate in practice.

As some mentioned, Dean Pees attacked Colin Kaepernick and Romans scheme by hitting Kaep as often as possible. That would be an option, and the Ravens haven't seen it used much. The Steelers however did it in week 17 and there were some late hits on RGIII which made him argue with the refs and later picked up a flag for a late hit. If the Ravens have decided to send the tape to the NFL and have the refs focus on this, it might be something that the Titans can try, but there might be a chance that it can make calls go the Ravens way for unnecessary roughness on Lamar.

18 hours ago, TD DrewBennett said:

i'm confident that we can limit their big plays. But i'm afraid that without Jayon they will eat us (and the clock) on the ground... we may be down early and RT will have to throw to much to my liking

At this point i'm just hoping we can make it a game

Come on man, that's some loser talk...