Divisional Round: VIKINGS (11-6) at 49ers (13-3)

swede700

Game 18

NFL_Vikings.gif at     NFL_49ers.gif

When: 4:35 PM EST January 11th

Where: Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, CA)

TV/Radio: NBC (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio)

Announcers: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Michele Tafoya

Coverage Map: National

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: WR Adam Thielen (ankle), Doubtful: S Jayron Kearse (toe), Out: CB Mackensie Alexander (knee)

49ers - Questionable: DE Donald "Dee" Ford (hamstring), DE Kentavius Street (knee), Doubtful: None, Out: None

Please keep all discussion about the game here.

Edited by swede700

Seems like a very evenly matched game. The 49ers seem to play like the Vikes and run an identical offense. However, the Vikes defense appears to be getting hot while the 49ers defense has been in a funk for weeks.

i thought the best team in the NFC was the Saints with how they’ve played as of late, so I’m pretty optimistic that MN can go to SF and pull it off. I had no optimism against NO. 

Sanders concerns me. He’s the type of WR that can abuse Rhodes. Hopefully Mackenzie Alexander is ready to play.

The 49ers secondary has been suspect so if they can manage the front four I think they’ve got a chance. Obviously, the defense needs to set the tempo and not let Jimmy G get comfortable in his first playoff start.

15 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

6 days of rest and on the road that sucks.

Did they come back to Minny or did they stay out in Denver for example?

Why would they stay out in Denver?  They were down south and east.    

As I stated prior to the New Orleans game, this is the best chance scenario for the Vikings, considering how they match up scheme-wise with both the Saints and the 49ers.  I would not have wanted to go to Seattle or Green Bay first...I'd rather face them, as it is, in the NFC Championship Game.   Now, I'm not going to predict a victory here, but I think they do match up well and, like the Saints game, it's going to be an entertaining contest.  

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

On paper I think this is an easier game than the Saints, both in terms of who we are playing, and where. 

Hopefully we keep the momentum going off the big win, and hopefully SF slumps after a week off. 

Are SF fans the same as LA fans, in that they won't show up until mid-way through the first half?  :D

14 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

On paper I think this is an easier game than the Saints, both in terms of who we are playing, and where. 

Hopefully we keep the momentum going off the big win, and hopefully SF slumps after a week off. 

I think the 9ers are more well rounded and a slightly better team but Jimmy G. is a inexperienced playoff QB, their don't have an Alvin Kamara type RB, Deebo Samuel is scary but he's not Michael Thomas yet, Levi Stadium isn't nearly as loud as Superdome, and most importantly..... they don't have Taysom Hill.

Kittle scares the bleep out of me tho.....

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

They need to stop the run in this one. If they make SF one dimensional I think Garappolo will make mistakes. I'm very worried about the Kittle and Sanders matchups. 

I think the screen game will be really important for the offense. I think that's the best way to help the OL slow down the pass rush.

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I think the 9ers are more well rounded and a slightly better team but Jimmy G. is a inexperienced playoff QB, their don't have an Alvin Kamara type RB, Deebo Samuel is scary but he's not Michael Thomas yet, Levi Stadium isn't nearly as loud as Superdome, and most importantly..... they don't have Taysom Hill.

Jimmy G may not be experienced like Brees but he’s probably got a much more lively arm. The 49ers don’t have the weapons on offense quite like the Saints but they are more well rounded.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Jimmy G may not be experienced like Brees but he’s probably got a much more lively arm. The 49ers don’t have the weapons on offense quite like the Saints but they are more well rounded.

Right. I think Jimmy is a good QB and is more dynamic than a 40 year old Brees at this point of his career but he hasn't been tested on the big stage of the playoffs before and I think that helps the Vikings a bit.

I'm worried about giving up big plays to Kittle and Deebo. Scary players.

9 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Good luck guys! This is the matchup I didn't want to play in the playoffs. I feel like both teams are evenly match up nicely. Should be a fun one. Also Kwon Alexander is back so is Dee Ford and Tartt. D is getting some must needed players back for the Niners. 

It was that way for us on offense against the Saints with Cook and Mattison returning and Thielen finally looking comfortable. MN didn’t have Mackensie Alexander against NO, I hope he’s ready to go. Both Rhodes and Waynes got dinged up.

The terrifying thing about Jimmy G is his lightning quick release. The Vikings will likely have a similar game plan to try and deliver more pressure up the middle, but while I expect Jimmy G to be under pressure most of the game, I doubt the Vikings will be able to sack him 3 times if he plays within the confines of Shanahan's offense.

Their offense is much more potent at the skill positions compared to New Orleans, and I hope Mack will be back because he, and hopefully Kearse on Kittle, will be key to giving the D-Line an extra half second to take advantage of the 49ers slightly weaker tackles.