Divisional Round: VIKINGS (11-6) at 49ers (13-3)

swede700

On 1/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, burlow said:

Well if you guys make it past us I will pull for yall the rest of the way.  One thing that has not be mentioned is our RBs, Brieda in particular, he got injured and then put a ball on the ground.  He should be healthy and is quick like lightning, expect a lot off miss direction, reverses and play action.  Shanny will probably try to get your LB crop moving in one direction and then hit the other side and mix it up so much that he will try to get your LBs to never be certain that their first move is the correct one.  

I am most scared of Cook, also Shanny might get dirty and use his time with Cousins against him.  Should be a great game and wish that we could play Green Bay instead here.

I don't think you're going to get the chance to play Green Bay.  Not meaning to be a troll.  I just can't figure out how that team went 13-3 and ended up with the #2 seed.  I could be wrong and this could be the start of a dynasty for them, but they just look like kind of an incomplete team.  You never know though.  The Seahawks are pretty banged up.

Cousins said he’s “just glad we won the game” and that he’s already fully turned the page to the 49ers.

Cousins: “You get right back to work. We were in Monday, watching tape, talking about the plan, and Tuesday again. Playing on the road all year long, handling noise, it’s going to be the same this week. You go back to the same things you’ve leaned on for this season, last week, my whole career, of what you’ve got to do to handle the noise and handle an adverse environment.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/kirk-cousins-shrugs-off-wild-card-win-you-get-right-back-to-work/

7 hours ago, mediumlebowski said:

It's the O-line, dudes, plain and simple. Our big uglies make room for Cook and it's on to the championship round. They don't, we're wishing we had a higher draft pick.

This has been my point of emphasis as well. Sometimes, winning in the trenches doesn't win the game. Watson was sacked seven times against Buffalo and still won, for example. But in this game I truly believe the trenches are the end all be all. Neither team can get beat up front and win this game in my opinion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forge said:

This has been my point of emphasis as well. Sometimes, winning in the trenches doesn't win the game. Watson was sacked seven times against Buffalo and still won, for example. But in this game I truly believe the trenches are the end all be all. Neither team can get beat up front and win this game in my opinion. 

The difference there is that Watson has the mobility that neither Kirk nor Jimmy do.  If your guys dominate the Vikings' O-Line (which certainly happened in the Week 16 game vs the Packers), the Vikings won't stand a chance.    

Edited by swede700

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The difference there is that Watson has the mobility that neither Kirk nor Jimmy do.  If your guys dominate the Vikings' O-Line (which certainly happened in the Week 16 game vs the Packers), the Vikings won't stand a chance.    

How much of that domination had to do with the top two RBs not playing and Thielen just getting back from hamstring? Teams can’t tee off on the Vikes like the Packers did with a healthy Cook, Mattison and Thielen.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

How much of that domination had to do with the top two RBs not playing and Thielen just getting back from hamstring? Teams can’t tee off on the Vikes like the Packers did with a healthy Cook, Mattison and Thielen.

Probably not, but the Bears did earlier in the season when all those guys were healthy...and the 49ers d-line is comparable.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Probably not, but the Bears did earlier in the season when all those guys were healthy...and the 49ers d-line is comparable.  

I think you'd agree that the Vikings are not the same team that they were in week 4, right?

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think you'd agree that the Vikings are not the same team that they were in week 4, right?

Not exactly, but they'll need to duplicate that performance from the Saints game, because these fronts are the best ones they've faced since the Bears game.  I'm certainly optimistic that they can, but it can be noted that the Saints d-line wasn't nearly as good last week as they had been all season, which could have been a result of great work by the Vikings' O-Line (which is certainly part of the case, if not all), but I'm not an expert at that type of evaluation.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Cousins also had one of his worst performances of his career against Chicago. It seems he may have turned a corner after Thielen called him out, but who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Probably very little since Cousins only has two under his belt.

I don't know if I agree with this. The first one always carries more weight/nerves. I'm going to guess that it takes the a little longer for the 49ers offense to settle in that it does for the Vikings.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't know if I agree with this. The first one always carries more weight/nerves. I'm going to guess that it takes the a little longer for the 49ers offense to settle in that it does for the Vikings.

Assuming the Vikes offense doesn’t fumble the ball away in their first possession. 

31 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

A lot of youth and very little playoff experience on that roster. I think it’s an understated factor in this game.