2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

On 2/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, Jeezla said:

To sum up my eyeball test, I don't see him being productive either, unless we move him to slot and force feed him the ball like we did with J Matt, when he was our slot. If we have JJAW run the hospital ball crossing route repeatedly, he too can get 700-900 yards.

The problem with JJAW is how he won in college i.e. being bigger and stronger than other kids his age and younger doesnt work in the NFL against older players that are stronger than him.

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

The problem with JJAW is how he won in college i.e. being bigger and stronger than other kids his age and younger doesnt work in the NFL against older players that are stronger than him.

The same thing can be said about fast guys though....

As odd as it would seem for a kid that went to Stanford, I think it was an intelligence thing, not a skillset. Not saying he is dumb as rocks but it seems he couldn't learn the playbook or was overwhelmed  IMO by being asked to learn All WR positions (entirety of the complex playbook),  rather then just the X or Y or Z.

Instead of simplifying the position like you would say a Rookie QB by asking  him to concentrate on one thing they complicated it by cross training him behind everyone. Something he wasn't use to doing in college. Something he clearly couldn't do as a Rookie.

Year 2 should be different.  Especially if given the Alshon Role/Position from the jump to Win or Lose.

Edited by Nabbs4u

33 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

As odd as it would seem for a kid that went to Stanford, I think it was an intelligence thing, not a skillset. Not saying he is dumb as rocks but it seems he couldn't learn the playbook or was overwhelmed  IMO by being asked to learn All WR positions (entirety of the complex playbook),  rather then just the X or Y or Z.

Instead of simplifying the position like you would say a Rookie QB by asking  him to concentrate on one thing they complicated it by cross training him behind everyone. Something he wasn't use to doing in college. Something he clearly couldn't do as a Rookie.

Year 2 should be different.  Especially if given the Alshon Role/Position from the jump to Win or Lose.

reports even came  out during the season that half the draft room didnt like him because his hips were too stiff. I think this was howie just making a terrible pick. 

11 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Could somehow see early reports from spring or TC being that "JJ looks like a completely different receiver out there"

He needs confidence and reps, he’ll certainly get the reps in the spring with Alshon being out.

We’ll see how he reacts. With how much the city dogged him and how little he could muster when we needed him. He’s either gonna be a guy who uses that to get better or let it get in his head and doubt himself.

It was a bad pick, there was so little upside there. With plenty of guys who did have some upside sitting there. Hindsight move, and the one a lot of us wanted to make, was move down a couple picks to the start of the 3rd...take Terry and draft a defensive player.

22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

He needs confidence and reps, he’ll certainly get the reps in the spring with Alshon being out.

We’ll see how he reacts. With how much the city dogged him and how little he could muster when we needed him. He’s either gonna be a guy who uses that to get better or let it get in his head and doubt himself.

It was a bad pick, there was so little upside there. With plenty of guys who did have some upside sitting there. Hindsight move, and the one a lot of us wanted to make, was move down a couple picks to the start of the 3rd...take Terry and draft a defensive player.

I personally wanted a safety and rapp, adderley and thornhill were all right there. 

Just think if Howie would have listened to me we'd not be looking at safety being maybe our biggest need this offseason. 

Edited by ninjapirate
  • Like 1

I refuse to believe none of his Skillset from College, what made him successful can't be translated to the NFL.

4 hours ago, nlesthought said:

JJAW didn’t run a significant route tree, I said it before. He boxed smaller CBs out and out jumped them. He wasn’t learning the different positions he was learning THE position. 

This

Honestly just think he needs time but everyone expects greatness Year 1 because of the WR that have came out the past 5 years. It used to be year 3 was the breakout season for WR. Now its instant success, or Bust!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I personally wanted a safety and rapp, adderley and thornhill were all right there. 

Just think if Howie would have listened to me we'd not be looking at safety being maybe our biggest need this offseason. 

Forgot they were all there still. 
yeah that would’ve been a nice move too.

liked a bunch of them, especially Thornhill and Nasir. Would have this year a lot easier.