Rams 'fire' DC Wade Phillips

AFlaccoSeagulls

12 hours ago, kramxel said:

I still miss him... Wonder if he wants to stay in LA... 

Gus won't leave so it's a pipe dream, but letting Wade go still haunts me to this day. 

We didn't let him go though. He left to become HC of the Cowboys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

Fair point.

But we needed to have wins against the Ravens and Cowboys for the sake of making playoffs and the defense let us down when we needs them most 

Offense let them down against PIT. Defense scored the only TD. It really does go both ways. We win that pit game we’re  in. 

To me I feel like the Wade departing had nothing to do with the Rams struggles this season. The defense was better than the offense. Sure we can look at the Bucs, Ravens, and Cowboys games. We can even look at failing to stop two 3rd and 16 downs on the game-winning drive in the Niners game. My thought is Wade was brought in to help a young inexperience head coach in McVay. Now that McVay has 3yrs under his belt as a head coach and have been through the ups and downs and learn from them he doesnt need a 70+yr old coach to stick around. Nothing against Wade but I think Wade can go be on Matt Rhule staff in Carolina or Joe Judge staff with the Giants to help those inexperience NFL head coaches. Heck Wade would be great for the Browns for whomever they hire or maybe Cincy with still an inexperience young head coach in Zac Taylor. I think it Wade served his purpose in LA and its time to move on. 

On 1/6/2020 at 1:30 PM, JonStark said:

They weren't bad, but games like the Ravens and Cowboys ones should never happen when you have a defense with Donald, Ramsey, Fowler, Littleton, etc on it. 

That being said, I don't think Phillips should be the scapegoat here. Losing JJ really hurt the defense as a whole and most of the downs we had on defense I would put on the players. Still boggles my mind how we don't get pressure on every single play with AD taking up 2-3 blockers. 

Who is playing next to AD?  You just need another beastly pass rusher right next to him and then opposing QBs will be in trouble.  We had that back in the days of Doleman and Millard and nobody could stop them. 

46 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Who is playing next to AD?  You just need another beastly pass rusher right next to him and then opposing QBs will be in trouble.  We had that back in the days of Doleman and Millard and nobody could stop them. 

Brockers and Sebastian Joseph-Day, both who are good against the run but don't offer much in the pass rushing aspect. 

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Brockers and Sebastian Joseph-Day, both who are good against the run but don't offer much in the pass rushing aspect. 

Yeah that makes it a lot easier for offensive lines to key in on stopping AD then.  If you put another good pass rusher next to him it could really change things.  When we had Doleman and Millard, it was a pick your poison situation.  If they sent help to stop Millard, Doleman would be one on one.  If they tried to stop Doleman, Millard would feast.  Those were fun days.  :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ouch for McVay.

From Wade's tweet, he probably would have stayed. I think Bones would have too (he was with the Rams before McVay).

I think this is McVay now knowing what it takes to be a HC and what he wants from a defense and special teams moving forward.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah that makes it a lot easier for offensive lines to key in on stopping AD then.  If you put another good pass rusher next to him it could really change things.  When we had Doleman and Millard, it was a pick your poison situation.  If they sent help to stop Millard, Doleman would be one on one.  If they tried to stop Doleman, Millard would feast.  Those were fun days.  :)

Fowler came on strong and is a big reason why we nearly lead the NFL in sacks this year. Lots of Rams fans seem to think he's easily replaceable because "anybody can be productive next to Donald", but it's simply not true. Fowler is the best pass rushing teammate Donald has ever had this season based on individual and team pass rushing production.

1 minute ago, FrantikRam said:

Fowler came on strong and is a big reason why we nearly lead the NFL in sacks this year. Lots of Rams fans seem to think he's easily replaceable because "anybody can be productive next to Donald", but it's simply not true. Fowler is the best pass rushing teammate Donald has ever had this season based on individual and team pass rushing production.

Wasn't Fowler a very high draft pick too?  I thought he was a top 10 pick when he came out.  That's why I was surprised to see you guys were able to get him.  If he can live up to his draft status, he and Donald should be a tough combo platter to deal with.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wasn't Fowler a very high draft pick too?  I thought he was a top 10 pick when he came out.  That's why I was surprised to see you guys were able to get him.  If he can live up to his draft status, he and Donald should be a tough combo platter to deal with.

He was nothing more than a good run stopper and a guy that would clean up on sacks in JAX. He also was super lazy and wouldn't rehab when he had an injury in his last year so we wanted him gone.

He rarely ever just beat an OT one on one, which maybe would have helped us look past prior problems off the field.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Except part of his problem in JAX was being a 4-3 DE. With Wade gone....not sure what this defense will look like. Despite his production and how highly I think of him, I'd rather not pay him $15+ million to be miscast again.