The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

On 3/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, tab said:

you have to watch yesterday's game, it was so fun

It definitely lived up to the billing. Dallas challenged P.J. Walker more than any other team so far and held Cam Phillips to one catch, so Houston's defense had to step up on many occasions. Houston vs. Tampa in Week 3 was also an unexpected shootout.

There won't be much to get excited about in the NFL until the draft, and now we finally have something to fill that void. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drained said:

Q flowers rejoined Tampa... then requests a trade lol

Or, short of that, more involvement in the game plan. Flowers wants to be on the field and contributing more than he has so far, and not necessarily at QB. I heard he practiced with the running backs this week.

The NFL Combine drew some viewers away but still lagged behind the XFL, NHL, NASCAR, and basketball. The league held its own on a very busy sports weekend.

I noticed Gilbride talking to a woman on the NY sideline and wondered who it was. Turns out she's the Guardians' head athletic trainer.

Darius Victor has snuck his way into a calisthenics drill at practice. It is nothing particularly taxing, but for a running back packing 226 pounds onto a 5-foot, 6-inch frame -- and one with a compromised ankle at the moment -- any false step could prove doom.

Victor has his head on a swivel, but not because of a roaming linebacker or a snarling safety.

Out of the corner of her eye, Madeleine Scaramuzzo Jones spots the Guardians running back and glares at him with the fire of a thousand suns. Victor stops dead in his tracks. He’s caught, and he knows not to test the woman they call Mad Dog.

Pretty cool article. And ... wow, Darius is exactly my height but 70 pounds heavier. Football players, man.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity how is the off season going to work for the XFL? Like draft wise and free agency? Is the XFL going to wait until after the nfl draft to conduct their draft? Are they going to wait until after nfl teams make their final cuts to start pursuing their free agency?

2 hours ago, dwaye50327 said:

Just out of curiosity how is the off season going to work for the XFL? Like draft wise and free agency? Is the XFL going to wait until after the nfl draft to conduct their draft? Are they going to wait until after nfl teams make their final cuts to start pursuing their free agency?

Good questions. They held their first draft last October, well after the NFL's final cuts at the end of August. It makes sense for them to do the same thing this year as they prepare for a second season. I think they'll be monitoring the NFL Draft closely, keeping an eye on players they like and waiting to see who ends up on a team and who doesn't. High school graduates who don't want to take the traditional NCAA-NFL road may also get a chance in the future. 

While we don't have a lot to go on free agency-wise, they did bring on a few in January or February after the NFL and CFL seasons concluded. Their most notable FA signing was S.J. Green from Toronto. He got a contract with the league in general rather than a specific team; the league then decided where to put him. (Initially it was Seattle, then they chose Tampa Bay.) Whether more prestigious guys will get a say in where they end up going, I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

What I like about their process is that they didn't bet the farm on big names, or really take any players who might have been perceived as gimmick signings (Manziel, for example). Instead they took mostly little-known guys and gave them a chance to shine on national TV.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

All players were signed on one year contracts no? Doesn't that mean they're all FAs after this year?

I believe all of the allocation contracts were two-year deals, with the ability to beging renegotiations and/or extensions following the conclusion of the 2020 XFL Season.

• Like 1

So far I think this ESPN article is one of the best indicators of how the league will go about these things. The draft itself was not hyped or even broadcast; Oliver Luck said a few words and then everybody got down to business.

The league's focus on process over stars was evident in the smallest details of the draft. Rather than a traditional round-by-round sequence that would have immediately identified its best players, the XFL used position-specific rounds with a "snake" order that was more difficult for fans to follow but almost certainly better for dispersing talent equally.

Edited by y*so*blu
  • Like 2

So, this year we saw a few interesting rookie QB prospects go undrafted. The three most prominent ones, Jordan Ta'Amu, Tyree Jackson, and Nick Fitzgerald, all ended up in the XFL. With that in mind, let's try to figure out rookie QB prospects for the XFL.

So far, the guys that I see potentially getting an XFL shot would be:

Steven Montez

Anthony Gordon

Brian Lewerke

Nate Stanley

Shea Patterson

And a very, very, VERY outside shot at James Morgan, who would be one heck of an addition to an XFL team.

You probably only get 2-3 prospects from that list, and one is all-but-guaranteed to be Shea Patterson, who stinks. A lot. For the XFL's sake, I hope they land Montez and Gordon, as I think they both could be very interesting options. Montez has everything but the intangibles, but people thought similarly of Jordan Ta'Amu last year. Gordon, meanwhile, is the latest in a line of one-year wonders at Washington State, a school that made Luke Falk look like an elite QB. Minshew turned out well so far, though, and we've seen Gordon throw a million times a game within a scheme without total disaster or his arm falling off, so he at least has some potential. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

More of a Seattle issue than a league issue; the vendor in question didn't show any symptoms during the game and has not been back to the stadium since. According to the city's health department, the risk of him having infected people is minimal. But fear of the virus is sure to have an adverse effect on many public gatherings throughout the city, Dragons games included.

Seattle's MLS team will be going ahead with their next game in CenturyLink as scheduled.