The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

7 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

The Vipers are flat-out bullying D.C. Not at all what I expected to see, but I'm happy for them and their fans.

@dtait93 @Malfatron I'm talking to a member of XFLboard who will be asking questions at the Vipers' postgame presser. If you have any, I'll be glad to pass them on!

ask what their favorite kind of snake is

Sorry, I should have said any serious questions. 9_9

We're a few minutes away from a shutout by Tampa Bay. D.C. has fallen apart in the last two weeks. Cardale isn't himself and the defense can't bail him out. I wonder how they'll respond to this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tab said:

This has to be on the coaching right? No adjustments at all

It's really hard to say. Pep Hamilton is an enigma as someone who is really good when his offense is clicking, but I think the reason that he was ousted from the Colts and Michigan may be related to adjustments. He's a players' coach, but I don't know if that's what DC needs right now. I don't think he's a bad coach. But their continual "need" to establish the run early in games with one of the league's worst rushing offenses certainly isn't helping things. See, Pumphrey and Pressley are good backs. But they're not the same type of RBs as CAP, or even the New York or Tampa RBs, guys who will create through contact and after contact. They can make you miss and rip off long runs, but they're both smaller and this offensive line is NOT made up of maulers, and they aren't exactly smooth movers who will get out in front of Pumphrey and Pressley, either. Hamilton gets a bit of success running the football early in the game, but he doesn't know when to stop doing it. You see, he's a player's coach, and he has confidence in his players. But at this point, this is a team that can't consistently run the ball to hurt you, so he needs to learn to bluff better. Once the run-game rips off a couple good runs early in games with this team, that's adequate to keep the defense from applying too much pressure to your passing game. Mix in counters and runs to the perimeter when the defense is applying too much pressure, use some inside zone 3 and 5 gap runs when they're backing off the line too much. But this is a team that's really built to throw the ball, and so they need toake sure they're getting Cardale into a rhythm and not running the ball on first and second down, ending up with a 3rd and 8 and then calling a shot play when they have two high safeties.

Make your shots off play action on 2nd down. Mix in screens and intermediate routes to Eli Rogers.  Bread and butter. Pep is outsmarting himself out there. 

• Like 1

Go Guardians! We're back at .500 and seem to be finding direction.

xfl-guardians25.jpg

Houston is in control of their own destiny as the only undefeated team, sitting comfortably in first place in the West. With D.C. faltering badly, the East is still up for grabs...if anybody can beat the Battlehawks, that is.

Total attendance for Week 4 reached 70,214--not bad at all when they had home games in Tampa Bay and New York, with both teams in the midst of losing skids. Each of them drew about 12,000 people. Dallas actually increased from Week 1 with over 18,000, but St. Louis did best of all with 27,527 fans.

Landry Jones' knee injury is likely a torn MCL, which would sideline him 4-6 weeks. Having his knee brace on probably lessened the impact. I wouldn't rule out a return to the field at the end of the season, but in the meantime Dallas will need Phillip Nelson to step up.

Edited by y*so*blu

PJ Walker is at 12 TD's in 4 games atm. That's 3 a game average, and if he keeps going at that pace, that's 30 TD's in a 10 game season. He'd also only be at around 2,400 yards. That's a crazy TD % rate.

I'm not math genius tho just figured it out

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drained said:

PJ Walker is at 12 TD's in 4 games atm. That's 3 a game average, and if he keeps going at that pace, that's 30 TD's in a 10 game season. He'd also only be at around 2,400 yards. That's a crazy TD % rate.

I'm not math genius tho just figured it out

You CAN expect a higher TD % in comparison to yards with many of these QBs, however, due to the average starting field position, which is much more favorable in the XFL in comparison to the NFL. NFL, you're having to go 75 yards most of the time. In the XFL, a lot of the time you're only having to go 65 yards, with 40 yards also being a fairly frequent scenario given their touchback and kick-out-of-bounds rules. Here's what I WOULD say, though. Translating PJ Walker's yardage to NFL field position (which is hardly an exact science, considering that there's more opportunity for turnovers and stalled drives if you have to go further), you're still looking at an average of 2.6 TDs a game. That's good for 26 TDs in a ten game season or about 42 TDs in a full NFL season. This kid is unreal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

You CAN expect a higher TD % in comparison to yards with many of these QBs, however, due to the average starting field position, which is much more favorable in the XFL in comparison to the NFL. NFL, you're having to go 75 yards most of the time. In the XFL, a lot of the time you're only having to go 65 yards, with 40 yards also being a fairly frequent scenario given their touchback and kick-out-of-bounds rules. Here's what I WOULD say, though. Translating PJ Walker's yardage to NFL field position (which is hardly an exact science, considering that there's more opportunity for turnovers and stalled drives if you have to go further), you're still looking at an average of 2.6 TDs a game. That's good for 26 TDs in a ten game season or about 42 TDs in a full NFL season. This kid is unreal.

He's crazy good and it's sad that people are doubting him cause he was on a team with both Jacoby Brissett AND Andrew Luck. I expect a backup job for him, if Garrett Gilbert can get it hen most definitely PJ can.

• Like 1

I... haven't watched the last two weeks. :|

But, this is a good thing in an odd way because I've been getting updates on Social Media, with local sports talk radio and here. XFL has found a latch, they have a hook into the sports watching world and - even if you don't watch every week, you're able to get updates and stay connected. That's going to be huge, accessibility when you're not able to sit down and tune in. 

Now, the NFL is going to be different - I get a copy of the league schedule and I scheduled my life around it. Thursday night games, Sunday night games, Monday night games, games at 8am - once I know, I plan my days around this. This is three decades of hooks built into me. 

The XFL isn't there, and it'll never be "there" so to speak. But, as long as it can connect with me in other ways, we will be in a good spot for continued success.

31 minutes ago, Drained said:

He's crazy good and it's sad that people are doubting him cause he was on a team with both Jacoby Brissett AND Andrew Luck. I expect a backup job for him, if Garrett Gilbert can get it hen most definitely PJ can.

Agreed. Honestly, to me, PJ Walker is a PROSPECT. If you're in a league like the CFL, XFL, etc. Then I'm going to compare you to other guys in the XFL, CFL, and the draft class. And with PJ's age, arm, poise, mobility... If he were in the draft and had this kind of exposure, he's a first-round prospect. He has accuracy to all three levels of the field. He's done a terrific job of managing turnovers. And people might knock him because he's playing in a wide-open scheme where he just needs to distribute the ball correctly. But why wouldn't you take him and run the same scheme in the NFL? Dude's more experienced and refined than the rookies. You can get a potential starter on a very manageable contract. And if he doesn't pan out and your team is a dumpster fire? You get Lawrence or Fields or even Newman next year.