If you were the GM, what you do with 24M right now?

JAF-N72EX

17 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I get 40.5M.....if they cut Long, Prince, and Gabriel (20.6M)

$24M + 20.6M - projected rookie pay scale(4.1M) = 40.5M

....and the following expired contracts to address this year before June:
Trevathan, Scales, Bush, Dix, McMannis,RRH, Kwait, and KPL.

Trade Floyd for a 4th if you can (or anything). That'll push the cap space to ~53M.

Re-sign Trevathan (30M/4yrs) and Kwiat (12M/3yrs), McManis (2M/1yr).
Coward, RRH, Scales, KPL, DHC for their tender or minimum salary.
Someone to hold the clipboard for 4M/year

That would leave ~33M in cap with more than 51 on the Roster (including Rookies).

Sign Austin Hooper 50M/5yrs (Tied for highest AAV among TEs, largest contract for a TE right now)
Sign Jack Conklin 60M/5yrs (20% more than La'el Collins got before the season)

OL: Leno - Daniels - Whitehair - Massie - Conklin

Now for the big one:
Sign Chris Jones 85M/5yrs (2nd highest AAV for an interior DL after Donald, could make it 6 years with same AAV)
All contracts slightly backloaded Hooper counts 8M against the cap in 2020, Conklin 10M, Jones 15M

Run a 4-3 Under
Hicks - Goldman - Jones - Mack
Kwiat - Trevathan - Smith

Hicks would still be a 5T, we field 3 very good off ball LB, Smith can fly around the field as the WILL.

Sign Deone Bucannon minimum salary (I think he's pretty good, competes with a rookie for starting SS on a loaded defense)

Draft
#43 Jeff Gladney / CB 
#50 Kyle Dugger / SS
Rest is depth

-------------------------------
OL: Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Massie, Conklin, Bars, Coward, Day 3 Pick
TE: Hooper, Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker
WR: Robinson, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Horsted, Day 3 Pick
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Patterson, Nall
QB: Trubisky, Clipboard

DL: Hicks, Goldman, Jones, Mack, Nichols, RRH, 2x Day 3 Picks
LB: Smith, Trevathan, Kwiatkoski, Pierre-Luis, Iggy, Day 3 Pick
CB: Fuller, Gladney, Skrine, Tolliver, Shelley, McManis, Crawford
S: Jackson, Dugger, Bucannon, Houston-Carson

ST: Pineiro, Scales, O'Donell

There's still place for Draftpicks or UDFAs

Obvious weakness is Line depth on both sides, but it would fix some OL issues and gives Nagy a TE as well as a dominant defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Finding an edge that actually gets to the QB that

a) hits free agency

b) makes less than 13 million

Is becoming very difficult.

I agree but it doesn’t necessarily need to be less than $13M either. The $13M will largely offset the cost if it’s more. It doesn’t need to be some elite edge rusher either - the bar is pretty low from Floyd as to what would be an upgrade in that department. I’m fine with it being a veteran 1 year signing or largely situational edge rushers too. We just can’t get almost nothing from that spot again in terms of pocket pressure. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree but it doesn’t necessarily need to be less than $13M either. The $13M will largely offset the cost if it’s more. It doesn’t need to be some elite edge rusher either - the bar is pretty low from Floyd as to what would be an upgrade in that department. I’m fine with it being a veteran 1 year signing or largely situational edge rushers too. We just can’t get almost nothing from that spot again in terms of pocket pressure. 

It is the long term.

The Bears need to find a cheap OLB in the draft. Floyd buys them 2 drafts to find that.

If you sign a guy for 13 million it is likely a 65 million deal/35 guaranteed

vs 

13 and done

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is the long term.

The Bears need to find a cheap OLB in the draft. Floyd buys them 2 drafts to find that.

If you sign a guy for 13 million it is likely a 65 million deal/35 guaranteed

vs 

13 and done

If you can get Vic Beasley for closer to $7M-8M/year, would you target him and tell Floyd to take a hike?

$13M in 2020 for Floyd, to me, is insane. He'd be getting top 7 money, similar to Preston Smith's contract average.

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

Here's the thing the Bears ESPECIALLY under Pagano runs the old Ravens 3-4 system.  Mack plays the role of T Sizzle, Smith plays the role of Ray Lewis, and Jackson plays the role of Ed Reed.  In this system Floyd plays the role of Jarret Johnson...don't remember him? He was the OLB on the other side of Suggs who did most of the dirty work.  Johnson played a long time and I don't think he ever had over 10 sacks for the season.  They are not asking Floyd to just rush the passer, they are asking him to do everything else, and according to Pace, Nagy, Pagano, and the OLB coach they all love what he is doing.  Floyd isn't going anywhere, and we might have to get use to that

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Here's the thing the Bears ESPECIALLY under Pagano runs the old Ravens 3-4 system.  Mack plays the role of T Sizzle, Smith plays the role of Ray Lewis, and Jackson plays the role of Ed Reed.  In this system Floyd plays the role of Jarret Johnson...don't remember him? He was the OLB on the other side of Suggs who did most of the dirty work.  Johnson played a long time and I don't think he ever had over 10 sacks for the season.  They are not asking Floyd to just rush the passer, they are asking him to do everything else, and according to Pace, Nagy, Pagano, and the OLB coach they all love what he is doing.  Floyd isn't going anywhere, and we might have to get use to that

Then Mack is going to have to pick up the slack... I was extremely disappointed in seeing how poorly he performed (especially compared to the rest of the NFL) with 2+ blockers on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

If you can get Vic Beasley for closer to $7M-8M/year, would you target him and tell Floyd to take a hike?

$13M in 2020 for Floyd, to me, is insane. He'd be getting top 7 money, similar to Preston Smith's contract average.

Beasley isn’t as good and likely gets more than that.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

Then Mack is going to have to pick up the slack... I was extremely disappointed in seeing how poorly he performed (especially compared to the rest of the NFL) with 2+ blockers on him.

He does. No matter what people say he did not play up to his level today.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He does. No matter what people say he did not play up to his level today.

He does, but he was also all alone out there as a pass rusher once Hicks got hurt.

Floyd was basically Sam Acho out there this year in his get paid year. I’m not rewarding him with $13M base for that under any circumstance and he’s not getting half of that on the FA market IMO. You can replace 2019 Floyd’s production with a $3M FA signing and still have it completely off the books after 2020. There are several impending UFA in either that 1 year prove it window or that later stages year-to-year contract window who can be had for half of Floyd’s deal or less. 

Ideally, Pace has an appropriately candid convo with Floyd that goes something like this:

”Hey - so we’re not paying you $13M base this year. We appreciate everything you’ve done for us but you haven’t earned that check. So here’s your options: accept a reduction to $6.5M base, fully guaranteed, with the potential to earn all of it back if you become the elite edge rusher we drafted you to be, or we release you and you hit the FA market now and likely get less and maybe far less than that on a prove it deal elsewhere. Either way you either earn a mega extension or hit FA next March. Our way you still get a great guaranteed payday in 2020. But your call.” 

He takes the deal and we still sign a prove it guy / situational rusher and draft a guy and now a weak position is a strength for 2020. He rejects it and we release him and sign 2 prove it guys and draft a guy for the same coin or less and at least we aren’t rolling with a guy opposite Mack we already know can’t get to the QB. 

• Like 1

Using Spotrac, I cut Prince, Floyd, Gabriel and Shaheen for 48,917,278.00 in cap space.  Will they cut Floyd and Shaheen?  Probably not.  I would.  Why keep them?  You can get Floyd production for cheaper than 13 million.  You can get better I wager.   

I'd cut Braunecker too for another 1.6 million in savings.  I think we have seen his ceiling and floor and it isn't great.   

FAs:

I sign OT Jack Conklin for  $15 per. probably 4 years.  Expensive, but good OTs are expensive.  I think that goes a long way to fixing O line.   I think Whitehair and Daniels bounce back.  Bars has talent and will compete for a position in 2020.  Perhaps Massie would be a mauling guard rather than a slow footed RT?   That is at least some combination of 4 talented O linemen.   We need Leno to be his best Leno on left side.  Maybe Bars competes for that job.  

I sign TE Darren Fells for 1 year 900k.  Old and not the answer, but big and serviceable and cheap because of his age.  Better than anything we had in 2019.   I don't think you are going to solve this in FA unless you overspend for Henry or Hooper which would excite fans, but would likely be a mistake for the team.  Hooper is a good football player, but not worth a top contract, and Henry hasn't been able to stay on the field.   Resign Holtz for like 600k.   You still have Horsted and Raymond who have some potential and you are stuck with Burton for another year.  Plus, you might get lucky in draft.     

I sign an OLB to replace Floyd for cheaper, perhaps Jamie Collins for 1 year 8 million.

These are all roughly market value prices per spotrac.

I would like to resign either Bush or Dix and either Kwik or Trevathan depending on prices, one of each position.  I'd keep cheaper option in each instance.  

I'd pluck QB Kyle Lauletta off Eagles, he's currently not signed with them, he was on PS, not sure what it takes to get him, if anything. But its peanuts, I'd do that instead of drafting a QB in 2020.  I would have claimed him earlier off practice squad so in my make believe world we already have him.  

Beyond that I don't know.   

• Like 2

Guys let's be real Pace is not giving up on Floyd. He will be back next year.  He wouldn't have exercised his 5th year option if he didn't see him here in 2020. Best case is they renegotiate his salary for next season but they will not release him outright.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Using Spotrac, I cut Prince, Floyd, Gabriel and Shaheen for 48,917,278.00 in cap space.  

Why is everybody obsessed with cutting Amukamara?  Who replaces him, and how? Lunacy. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Guys let's be real Pace is not giving up on Floyd. He will be back next year.  He wouldn't have exercised his 5th year option if he didn't see him here in 2020. Best case is they renegotiate his salary for next season but they will not release him outright.

They need to trade him to a 4-3 team.