2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

On 11/10/2017 at 8:03 PM, NightTrainLane said:

Yes,  you did.

By claiming that I'd debate IdigtheRaiders! over the issue.

And you quoting the fact I stated about the linemen only backs up what I said next.

Thank You.

McGlinchey (and the rest of the Irish) just had a horrific game against Miami, so i’m not gonna debate in his favor right now, lol.

Depending on how he does the rest of the way + the Senior Bowl + the Combine, etc, I’d still be willing to take him in the 1st. It should be clear to all of us by now that the offense is nothing without a good O-line in front of Carr. 

4 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

McGlinchey (and the rest of the Irish) just had a horrific game against Miami, so i’m not gonna debate in his favor right now, lol.

Depending on how he does the rest of the way + the Senior Bowl + the Combine, etc, I’d still be willing to take him in the 1st. It should be clear to all of us by now that the offense is nothing without a good O-line in front of Carr. 

I was never talking about McGlinchey's skill level,. Only the type of olineman our GM drafts. Any real endorsement of players at this point is pretty premature.

I'm not real sure about specific names yet, but I would like to see this team start drafting some CBs in the middle rounds (about rounds 3-4). Seems they only get drafted in either the first or the 7th. It's fine to have Dexter McDonald/Antonio Hamilton/Breon Borders types fighting for a spot at the bottom of the roster for a year or so, but it would be nice to have an influx of talent for competition without it being either top of the draft or bottom of the draft. Could be a way to make that group more competitive without investing a ton or spending too much on the Sean Smiths and David Amersons of the world. This team just needs more unspectacular, but solid players to fill in the gaps - especially at cb. Granted, aside from QB, it is probably the hardest position to draft.

7 hours ago, mct288 said:

I'm not real sure about specific names yet, but I would like to see this team start drafting some CBs in the middle rounds (about rounds 3-4). Seems they only get drafted in either the first or the 7th.

I was a big advocate in taking two CBs from rounds 3-5 last year (Witherspoon and Griffin, in particular) rather than going CB in late round 1 since it was such a deep CB class. It's tough to know exactly where the Raiders will be picking this year, but I'm not in love with any of the top CB prospects in a decidedly weaker class. I'm mostly targeting edge rusher for the Raiders in the first round this year. I think Bradley Chubb has played himself into top 5 consideration, but two guys to keep an eye on are Arden Key and Harold Landry.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

From all I've read, this draft class is reminiscent of the 2013 class in that there isn't a lot of great talent and GMs/scouts are really going to need to dig deep. Will have a couple nice top end picks, but thins out quick.

In before the RM trade up talk begins, even though RM hasn't ever traded up in the 1st round..

6 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

In before the RM trade up talk begins, even though RM hasn't ever traded up in the 1st round..

You're too late. It already started...and you mentioned the same thing then.

But in terms of the draft, it is lining up to be the kind of draft where Reggie and staff can really come out with value because they are use to shifting thru to find gems in the later rounds.

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

How is this draft class looking on 

RB, Edge Rushers, LT, and stud DT 

feel like this team could use young studs at these spots... been working Saturdays so haven’t been able to watch any college 

RB looks potentially great (Barkley, Guice, Harris, Chubb, Michel, Jones, Love, Penny).

Edge rusher looks a little weak. I only know the potential first round names (Chubb, Key, Landry), and they're more in the level of the 2nd tier guys from last year.

LT looks good and apparently also deep. LT could be to this draft what CB was to last year's.

The two DTs I see get mentioned most often as being at the top are Maurice Hurst and Christian Wilkins. Wilkins I know from a couple years back but I haven't watched Hurst. There are a few really nice nose tackles in this draft like Vita Vea and Da'Ron Payne.

Archived